Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine reads 2 mph higher at 75 mph. I tested it with an accurate GPS. That's 2.7% higher.
The dealer tells me that as long as it is within 4%, the speedometer is within specification. There are also settings on the multi-function display to set your wheel size and type of tires, so that it adjusts the speedometer to the tire size being used.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The dealer tells me that as long as it is within 4%, the speedometer is within specification. There are also settings on the multi-function display to set your wheel size and type of tires, so that it adjusts the speedometer to the tire size being used.
Perhaps experimenting with those settings would give more accuracy. I might try to put together an adjustment chart showing the differences (at least theoretical) between the 4 tire sizes and the two tire types. On the other hand, 4% isn't all that bad considering some other cars I've had.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I love the Macan S in every aspect; and i will own one soon. I am just concerned that without good simple visual of speed, chances of speeding tickets are surely increased. Sadly, the sales guy never told me about the digital display and once I parked I first looked at it and saw the number 7..I inquired about that and he said it stood for 7 speed transmission ..hmmm, really??
Short video below shows the digital speedometer so, you can see it is very obvious once driving & the small left side analog speedometer is superfluous & you'll never look at it while driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idbwX8sgh3Y

Welcome to the MF!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The only drawback of the digital speed display is that there is no differentiation between 20 and 100 mph. On the traditional speedometer, the needle position would have alarmed me before I took a glance at the digital speed.

Well, that's entirely my own fault. Mostly, I intentionally chose not to look at the digital speed, much like a puppy sneaking in a pee under the kitchen counter fully knowing it is a perfectly punishable deed but couldn't help it. ;)
Wow @jzwu, no differentiation between 20 and 100 mph? I can generally sense that, but of course, I'm old and 'experienced'. Once, when I was younger, I thought I was going 20 mph, looked down and discovered I was doing 100! I peed under the dash. I couldn't help it. Now I always monitor the digital speedo.;)

Reactions: jzwu

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wow @jzwu, no differentiation between 20 and 100 mph? I can generally sense that, but of course, I'm old and 'experienced'. Once, when I was younger, I thought I was going 20 mph, looked down and discovered I was doing 100! I peed under the dash. I couldn't help it. Now I always monitor the digital speedo.;)

And once when I smoked some "medicinal herbs" ahem , I thought I was doing 100mph and looked down only to discover I was doing 20mph ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as I'm aware all cars I've owned have read high on the speedometer, this includes non German cars too. I'm pretty certain it's so manufacturers can't be blamed for speeding tickets!
I've driven to GPS speed for a long time now because of this and can pull away from other traffic, even when being followed by police using this instead of the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Speedometer? why do you have to look at it when driving a Porsche? Eyes on the road please - for the safety of others and you.

Reactions: Hokie

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Reactions: vasans

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I couldn't care less for the speedometer in a Porsche. I LOVE the tachometer in the center since it screams sport car all over it. BTW, that is how the Ferrari is. On my Macan I set the 2 speed limits to 65mph and 75mph. That is 5 mph above most of the highways I drive here. When the alarm beeps I know I am 5mph above the limit and then I pay attention on the digital speedometer. That is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I love the Macan S in every aspect; and i will own one soon. I am just concerned that without good simple visual of speed, chances of speeding tickets are surely increased. Sadly, the sales guy never told me about the digital display and once I parked I first looked at it and saw the number 7..I inquired about that and he said it stood for 7 speed transmission ..hmmm, really??

Am I the only village idiot around here? How can you park the Macan, which means it's not moving, and see 7th gear displayed?

And who but Stevie Wonder would need the sales guy to point out the digital speedo?

OMG!!!!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Am I the only village idiot around here? How can you park the Macan, which means it's not moving, and see 7th gear displayed?
You just have to think like Porsche on these mysteries.

On a normal car these days, the default economy mode starts the car from rest in 2nd gear rather than 1st. The Macan engine is so powerful that if you are in economy (normal) mode, it starts the car from rest in 7th gear.

Any questions?

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
We are all idiots here but no one would date to admit. :(

·
Registered
969 Posts
So when was the last time you viewed this dial ?

Reading the analogue speed-o-meter ? It's been a while for me ...

Perhaps it should just be made another multi function screen with a virtual analogue speed-o-meter as one of the options ?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 69 Posts