Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm guessing that I'll really enjoy seeing the more active movement of the tacho as opposed to the speedometer - which I'm guessing will also be quite active under my normal, 'spirited' driving - but still won't be as active as the needle of the tachometer. This is still a sports car, and under acceleration there's something exhilarating about watching the needle dance.

There are many cars that do not have a tachometer at all, which to me is the first indication that the car is not for me. I remember a buddy's Toyota Tercel in college that didn't have one and honestly really didn't need one. That car was as generic as possible.

I will also be using the tacho immediately when taking delivery of my Macan, since I plan on following the break-in period recommended by Porsche in the US, but that's a secondary advantage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Having owned nothing but sports cars for 20 years now, I appreciate the tach in the middle. I never use the analog speedometer and find it archaic. I much prefer looking at the digital readout under the tach. Most performance buffs and mags appreciate such gauge position. What I miss the most on the Macan is lack of HUD.

Reactions: d2255

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too like the tach in the center and the digital speedometer display. I don't want a digital display of the RPMs, oil pressure or temperature though, I'm sticking with the traditional gauge displays for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I love the Macan S in every aspect; and i will own one soon. I am just concerned that without good simple visual of speed, chances of speeding tickets are surely increased. Sadly, the sales guy never told me about the digital display and once I parked I first looked at it and saw the number 7..I inquired about that and he said it stood for 7 speed transmission ..hmmm, really??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have owned a 1971 corvette for 25 years...so yes, I know about sports cars...seems like the consensus is that seeing mph in the digital display is not an issue so I am still with the Macan club here...just need to check it out for myself one more time...many thanks to all comments provided?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned a 1971 corvette for 25 years...so yes, I know about sports cars...seems like the consensus is that seeing mph in the digital display is not an issue so I am still with the Macan club here...just need to check it out for myself one more time...many thanks to all comments provided?
I'll tell you in my 3 months of owning now - I never have an issue finding the speed. I never look at the analog read either...the digital is quite sufficient.

That said...with the speed I tend to go, I have little desire to look down at the dash. The car is so much fun to drive. It is silent at high speed, handles perfectly, and comfortable...it's a dream. And yes, I average 5-10 mph higher on this car than i did on any other car I previously owned...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just give me the speed in the HUD that's the best place for it! - Ah, ****, Porsche don't do safety related tech 'fluff' :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh wow, is **** really considered a swear word!?

**** **** ****!

I would have thought it would have *** out HUD!

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
The only drawback of the digital speed display is that there is no differentiation between 20 and 100 mph. On the traditional speedometer, the needle position would have alarmed me before I took a glance at the digital speed.

Well, that's entirely my own fault. Mostly, I intentionally chose not to look at the digital speed, much like a puppy sneaking in a pee under the kitchen counter fully knowing it is a perfectly punishable deed but couldn't help it. ;)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I already know that I drive too fast -- so I did set the speed alert at 84 MPH ((for an actual speed of 80 MPH) out of an abundance of caution and just to alert myself.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry for the many harsh responses to your original post, but you have to understand your audience here; Porsche Macan enthusiasts. And when your original post ignores all of the great features of the Macan as a Sports/SUV and only concentrates on the "issue" with the tachometer, it hits a nerve among us. I believe that if you are interested in an incredibly versatile four passenger vehicle that can handle road, track, off-road and always leave a smile on your face, you would be hard pressed to come up with a better vehicle than a Porsche Macan.

Regardless of your eventual choice of a vehicle, there is a wealth of information here on this forum, and we welcome you as member.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I already know that I drive too fast -- so I did set the speed alert at 84 MPH ((for an actual speed of 80 MPH) out of an abundance of caution and just to alert myself.
So I'm not the only one whose speedometer registers 4 MPH over the actual speed.

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
Mine reads 2 mph higher at 75 mph. I tested it with an accurate GPS. That's 2.7% higher.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like the concept of the Tachometer in the middle....when stopped by the police, I can say "oh, I just realized that the dial in the middle that said 45 is showing me the engine speed....not the car speed. Darn those Germans"

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mine reads 2 mph higher at 75 mph. I tested it with an accurate GPS. That's 2.7% higher.
There are very very few inaccurate GPS's :)

I recall on older cars, one could (and actually had to) change the gears when one changed tire sizes. One would rationally think that there is an electronic equivalent in the car where Porsche can adjust the speedometer to match the tires. The 18,19,20,21 tires all have a different circumference (even though the sidewall gets smaller on the larger rims) so the "default" would inherently cause speedometer error on all the other sized tires.

Is this adjustable by the Porsche dealer, even if it's not by us mere mortals.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
So I'm not the only one whose speedometer registers 4 MPH over the actual speed.
Almost all the new electronically measured Porsches have that 4 MPH error -- or very close. (I say almost 'cause I haven't driven all.) But it also applies to my '99 911.

There is a VERY, VERY punitive German law that is applied to manufacturers whose cars have speedometers that read low beyond perfect -- even a small percentage.

My very-dependable source and Porsche mentor has taught me that German manufacturers would rather be slightly high across the board then to be LESS at any cost -- and this apples to ALL cars even those intended for export. The amount of error is acceptable to the government.

And it is NOT adjustable by the dealer.

I'm now sure the Porsche bashing begins anew...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
... let me know if I am missing something here.
Yes, as someone mentioned before, Porsche's history. Most recently, they have added a digital display for speed within the tach...

I'm attaching an annotated photo for your convenience. Everything you need is conveniently located in that central tachometer.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Yes, as someone mentioned before, Porsche's history. Most recently, they have added a digital display for speed within the tach...

I'm attaching an annotated photo for your convenience. Everything you need is conveniently located in that central tachometer.

"Useless Speedometer"

That's funny and so true . I never look at that dial .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: jzwu
21 - 40 of 69 Posts