Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I test drove the Macan S; it was the first time I had ever driven a Porsche. I was terribly disappointed that the largest central gage is the most useless for everyday driving and that the most important gage, the speedometer, is virtually useless with its tiny scaled analog gage off to the left....I couldn't tell my speed at all...can anyone please help me out and let me know if I am missing something here.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Today I test drove the Macan S; it was the first time I had ever driven a Porsche. I was terribly disappointed that the largest central gage is the most useless for everyday driving and that the most important gage, the speedometer, is virtually useless with its tiny scaled analog gage off to the left....I couldn't tell my speed at all...can anyone please help me out and let me know if I am missing something here.
The history of Porsche and of racing is that the tachometer is way more important than the speedometer. You'll get used to it when your eyes are trained to know where it is. It's only a theoretical problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The big digital speed numbers at the bottom of the centrally located analog tachometer make it the best of both worlds. You will never look at the analog speedometer off to the left side.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Yikes . Mmmm.... hmmmm . You get used to it . Did you like the way the car drove ? Did you like the road feel, engine sound , response ? PDK transmission and other interior and exterior appointments ? If you did then once again , you'll get used to the "lack" of a billboard speedometer gauge/dial. If you didn't like any or all of the above ; pass . Don't get a Porsche . :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
Well the digital speed display is way easier to see than the transitional speedometer, which is not precise at all, no matter how big it is.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Have you ever driven a sports car before?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I think we may have blown away a new member :) Lots of Macan owners have never owned a Porsche or any sports car before.

Personally I like the digital speed readout...have grown very accustomed to it. In fact, I wish the Macan offered a heads up display like we have on our X5...oh wait, it would be unaffordable anyway :)

Reactions: Rab H

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
No need to know what speed I am travelling at, as long I am enjoying the drive. Thus far, I have not been pulled over for speeding infraction

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
can we say troll? First post and it's a complaint? Seems like a trend.
I don't think that's the case. I can think of plenty of people that would see the dominent tachometer right in the middle of the instrument cluster and ask why. Plenty of Macan owners are not "car enthusiasts". The next complaint will be regarding the location of the ignition key :)

Perhaps I'm more tolerant than most :)

Reactions: El_SD

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
@Shark Yeah, I reconsidered and though I may be incorrect. And there is nothing wrong with making complaints. But the Macan is such an amazing vehicle, that if that is the only thing one notices and comments on, then it's not the car for them. And not a word in the first post about the digital readout which makes the speedo superfluous.

And in a review of a Porsche in one of the mainstream rags, they also complained and said it was old thinking to have the tach in the middle. Come to think of it, it was CR which I like.

I happen to love the tach in the middle. With the pdk, it's the most important gauge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Calling RJMcGinnis, RJMcGinnis line 1.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Back to the racing heritage note -- I've often wondered why many car mfgs even bother to have a tach on the dash in a AT car, unless you have flappy paddles/"sport" shifter (and use them). The racing reason for the tach is, in a MT car (remember those?) you want to see the RPMs so you know when you are at/near redline, in your motor's sweet sport of the hp/torque curves, or when you are learning heel/toe downshifts you have a visual cue as to what rpm levels you are trying to match. In a racing environment having a visible tach is even more critical info as at race start many times you can't hear your engine, and the only way you know when to shift is by glancing at your tach needle.

I'll bet for a large majority of AT drivers -- the Camryites of the world -- having the tach is actually useless information. And I would think for a good portion of Macan drivers they never use the paddles. But for those of us who do, having a LARGE tach in the middle of the gauge cluster is wonderful.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I don't understand why the analogue speedometer is there at all in the first place since the digital is so clear. That space could have been used for some better information. Maybe a secondary configurable TFT-screen.

:D
An interesting idea. I have not seen it yet on any other car, but I'll bet it's coming. Suits me just fine too.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I've often wondered why many car mfgs even bother to have a tach on the dash in a AT car, unless you have flappy paddles/"sport" shifter (and use them).
No doubt there are a lot of drivers who have no idea how knowing the engine speed could possibly be useful. But as for me, I like that it's there even on my 16 year old Pathfinder. I tend to avoid pushing the engine over 4000 RPM because after 165k miles I'm not sure how much life it has left, and the tach also lets me know if I need to back off on the throttle a bit to let the trans upshift. And a tach is very useful for heavy towing. My preference would be to have a tach on any vehicle I drive.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It's a sports car thing, the tach reading being the most important. Also, it's fun to convert from tach reading to speed. While cruising at highest non-overdrive gear cut tach reading in half, add 1 mph for each wind speed reading behind you, deduct 1 mph for each foot above mean sea level, deduct 1 mph for each humidity point above the dew point and divide by pi (3.1412), simple. :). Or just look at speedo.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts