Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds rediculous and at bare minimum some of you will get a laugh out of this. I am a mechanic for a very well off fella. He recently bought a Porche Macan Turbo for his 16 year old daughter... She will be taking her driving test in it next week. Due to the zippy nature of these things he would like to limit the top speed. Is there any way to do this in the Macan. I know in other vehicles you can program a top speed to a key. I know it sounds counter intuative buying a porche and wanting to limit the speed, as Im pretty sure you cant do it.

Thanks for anything anyone can offer!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think there is an alarm that can be set to go off at certain speeds. Don’t know of any speed limit functions. Maybe he should just get a base model with less HP optioned out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why would you want to limit top speed? I would think acceleration is what you would want to limit. He should have bought a base model not that that is so much slower. Also maybe deactivate the sport and sport + mode? Or maybe get a custom tune that will de tune or limit throttle response? Peddle Commander?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want to limit top speed? I would think acceleration is what you would want to limit. He should have bought a base model not that that is so much slower. Also maybe deactivate the sport and sport + mode? Or maybe get a custom tune that will de tune or limit throttle response? Peddle Commander?
How would you disable the Sport and Sport+ modes? Pedal commander would just decrease the responsiveness in the pedal. I dont know if we cant to go that route.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don’t know if you can disable the sport and Sport + I was just throwing that out there. If it was my kid I would be more worried about rapid acceleration vs top speed. I think the peddle commander will allow you less throttle response. I would think that is what you really want.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Porsches do not have a "restricting" limit as BMWs or any other do. Only 2 limit alarms available. Disabling S or S+ is not easy to do. As others said, acceleration is very dangerous for the new drivers than the top speed. Peddle commander route is the best for the given situation.

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
I know this sounds rediculous
You should have stopped right there. ? In the 70s there was a Gentlemen's Agreement between the German automakers to limit all cars to 155 mph. Guess which German Carmaker said "nein" Go ahead, guess. Recently, Volvo has decided to cut that number down to about 110. Guess which company again said "nein".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Empty out the gas tank and fill it with Regular Unleaded.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should have stopped right there. ? In the 70s there was a Gentlemen's Agreement between the German automakers to limit all cars to 155 mph. Guess which German Carmaker said "nein" Go ahead, guess. Recently, Volvo has decided to cut that number down to about 110. Guess which company again said "nein".
Another reason to dislike Volvo. It should be a driver's decision how fast they want to go!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I wanted our daughter(s) to learn to drive like we did as teens; no backup cameras, no lane change warnings, no lane kept assist, no nothing. So we bought a 2000 Toyota Camry with 130k miles for 3k. She's not driving the Porsche any time soon. She's got to earn and prove herself first. She'll also feel a sense of accomplishment, not entitlement. I sincerely want to groom her to be the best driver I can train her to be, because cars will always change, but a great driver can't be bought. (obviously not taking autonomous vehicles into consideration)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don’t know if you can disable the sport and Sport + I was just throwing that out there. If it was my kid I would be more worried about rapid acceleration vs top speed. I think the peddle commander will allow you less throttle response. I would think that is what you really want.
LImiting Sport and Sport + certainly won't limit speed. I've had my Macan Turbo over 140 in comfort mode. A better option might be to remove the battery.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My wife and I wanted our daughter(s) to learn to drive like we did as teens; no backup cameras, no lane change warnings, no lane kept assist, no nothing. So we bought a 2000 Toyota Camry with 130k miles for 3k. She's not driving the Porsche any time soon. She's got to earn and prove herself first. She'll also feel a sense of accomplishment, not entitlement. I sincerely want to groom her to be the best driver I can train her to be, because cars will always change, but a great driver can't be bought. (obviously not taking autonomous vehicles into consideration)
I suggested a rental for a week (post 12), but only given the time constraints of this particular case.

In general, however, I agree with you. This is going back about 30 years, but when my two daughters came of age, I taught them myself, in our rural-ish neighborhood, using our aging Civic hatchback, with a stick shift.

And I made each of them change a tire -- jacking, and removal and reinstallation -- in the garage, with my prior instruction and explanations -- on that car. And used garbage cans for their initial work on parallel parking, before moving onto real streets.

They both took the road test (NY DMV) in that same car, and both passed on their first tries. Of course, that was mostly the end of their stick-shift days, and they have AAA for flat tires. But still, the thought was there ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The reason I went with the base and not the S is my twin boys just turned 16 and I didn't want to get a third car yet. The Macan is mine though - not giving it to my kids!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
And I made each of them change a tire -- jacking, and removal and reinstallation -- in the garage, with my prior instruction and explanations -- on that car. And used garbage cans for their initial work on parallel parking, before moving onto real streets.
Yeah, the parking practice is critical. I used bright red and blue coolers, on top of folding chairs in place of car bumpers.

She wants to learn manual, and motorcycle. I told her let's get driving auto mastered first, then move to the next two :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tell your customer to enroll the daughter in a good defensive teen driver's school like BMW CCA's "Street Survival". If that's not available, then enroll her in a high performance driver's school. She'll soon learn that there's more to driving fast than just stepping on the go pedal. She'll gain a real appreciation for what it takes and will be a safer driver because of it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yeah, the parking practice is critical. I used bright red and blue coolers, on top of folding chairs in place of car bumpers.

She wants to learn manual, and motorcycle. I told her let's get driving auto mastered first, then move to the next two :)
After retiring from my day job -- but almost two decades ago now -- I was a RiderCoach (i.e., instructor) for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for a while (and would've done it longer, except for ankle problems). In any case, I strongly recommend she take the MSF courses, Beginner and Experienced, maybe a year or two apart, if she follows through on the motorcycle wish.

Of course, it's only a start. I learned from the more experienced teachers to say at the end of class, "Now you're qualified to ride 20 MPH in a parking lot," so they wouldn't get a swelled head, think they knew it all, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts