• It's a Porsche!!

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • I'm a brand loyalist

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I can finally afford a new Porsche

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Excellent blend of performance & utility

Votes: 132 79.0%
  • I want(ed) to be exclusive- expensive brand!

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • It's just another car for my garage

Votes: 4 2.4%

What's Your Reason??

80K views 329 replies 211 participants last post by  tsunami0ne 
#1 ·
There are a lot of ongoing debates as to why we are buying an "entry level" Porsche. I think it would be interesting to see varying opinions through a Poll.

#203 ·
I’m 73, always admired Porsche’ (I have 3 daughters and when they were younger if they gave me a hard time I would say “you’re the reason I’m not driving a Porsche so knock it off”. My wife said I needed to get out of sedans (ease of entry, etc), saw a Macanin and immediately fell in love with the beauty of the car. I’ve had mine since April and plan on keeping it forever…..high maintenance cost or not. I haven’t owned a car, any car, over 3 years so the Macan is going to be a new maintenance experience…..but I’m ready for it and the Macan is worth it.

#204 ·
I've always loved the looks of the Macan . . . and like the idea, and fun, of being able to build precisely what we wanted. I was also looking for something less expensive after buying a couple F-250 Super Duty pickups . . . . the Macan, nicely laid out, saved me a cool $20K.

Originally it was kind of a spare for folks visiting in the Hudson Valley but the pandemic morphed it to a Palm Beach to NYC commuter and the Macan excels. I like the way it handles, love the headlights (I do a LOT of night driving) and it fits 2 cat carriers, a load of guitars and a bike rack perfectly.

It's also a magnet for gear heads and I've really enjoyed the folks I have met.

It was my first Porsche . . my partners 9th . . . she has had a very longstanding . . 911 habit. We both like to drive.

#205 ·
I've been a BMW driver since 1992. E28, E39, E46 'vert, E60, F10, F12 (V8 'vert), and 2 G30's. My 2020 BMW M550i (leased in 2019) was my last BMW. AWD, great V8, great transmission, fast as snot, great technology, great seats, but the car had no soul. Since it was a lease, and I wasn't driving it due to COVID, I decided to send it packing.

I wanted to get out of the leasing game, keep an ICE car to last me for a while, and was looking long and hard at a lot of cars (MB, Audi, BMW M4, Z4, and M850i 'vert). I kept thinking back to my loaner Macans (base models used while my wife's Cayenne was in the shop) and my friend's Macan Turbo. They were all fun to drive and had a soul. It came down to a Macan GTS, or a 718 Spyder. Since I want to keep this car for a while, and I'm pushing 60, the idea of the Spyder being my daily driver didn't sit well (literally). Six months after sending off the M550i, I bought my GTS. No - I'm still not driving to work due to COVID, but I have found that I make up reasons to drive my GTS, something I never did with the M550 (but did with my E39/E46/F12). Yes - I think about that Spyder often, realizing I could have driven it for a year or two and likely gotten my money back (or more, due to COVID).

In the end, there can be only one, and I'm very happy with my Macan GTS.

#225 ·
I've been a BMW driver since 1992. E28, E39, E46 'vert, E60, F10, F12 (V8 'vert), and 2 G30's. My 2020 BMW M550i (leased in 2019) was my last BMW. AWD, great V8, great transmission, fast as snot, great technology, great seats, but the car had no soul. Since it was a lease, and I wasn't driving it due to COVID, I decided to send it packing.

I wanted to get out of the leasing game, keep an ICE car to last me for a while, and was looking long and hard at a lot of cars (MB, Audi, BMW M4, Z4, and M850i 'vert). I kept thinking back to my loaner Macans (base models used while my wife's Cayenne was in the shop) and my friend's Macan Turbo. They were all fun to drive and had a soul. It came down to a Macan GTS, or a 718 Spyder. Since I want to keep this car for a while, and I'm pushing 60, the idea of the Spyder being my daily driver didn't sit well (literally). Six months after sending off the M550i, I bought my GTS. No - I'm still not driving to work due to COVID, but I have found that I make up reasons to drive my GTS, something I never did with the M550 (but did with my E39/E46/F12). Yes - I think about that Spyder often, realizing I could have driven it for a year or two and likely gotten my money back (or more, due to COVID).

In the end, there can be only one, and I'm very happy with my Macan GTS.
I just sold my second E46 today to make room for the Macan. Both were great and dependable drivers. My wife’s 328x GT is not a fun driver but comfortable and practical. I’ve lusted for an M240 but a bit too pricey and not nearly as practical as the Macan. 3 days old and already we’re arguing who gets to drive it.

#206 ·
I decided that I wanted a slightly smaller vehicle to replace my 2017 Range Rover Velar. For me, returning to a Porsche Macan was an easy decision, great build quality and relative `value for money' as it is about 35k cheaper than a similar spec'd 2022 Range Rover Velar. I've decided to move from `posh' to `sporty' (no Spice Girl pun intended).
-John

#207 ·
Where I live, the JLR and Porsche dealers are side-by-side. Walk into the service area at the JLR, and there is ALWAYS a huge pile of paper for service work. My wife wanted a Velar. Badly. Until she saw the paperwork mountain during a tour of the dealership. She drives a 2019 Cayenne S, and is quite happy. We drive her car for comfort (and more hauling space), and mine for fun.

#209 · (Edited)
We have always had 4x4 SUV's or trucks, Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers, Ford Expeditions, Ford Edges, F-150, a Sport Trac. One exception was a 2003 Audi TT bought new and still have. Maybe it was a male menopause car. However when I first saw a Macan Turbo with its good looks next to a Cayman GTS (?) at the Philly car show with their respective 0 to 60 times of 4.3 sec vs 4.2 I began lusting after one. t took me about 3 years to pull the trigger, but no regrets. The fact that its an SUV helps me justify that its not a frivolous purchase.

#210 · (Edited)
Coming from Mercedes E wagon. Enjoyed the car and I thought that it was the perfect car when I bought it. However, I had issues with the wagon as it seemed to bottom out too easily on road bumps and pot holes. Also, I am tall and the ease of entry and exit from the Macan helps especially when the old back acts up. I visit my family who live in a mountainous area in the Shenandoah valley so AWD is required. Other car is BMW 435 convertible which has been a great car but it is even lower than the wagon and not the best in the snow but my wife is short so she prefers the car vs suv. BMW X5 was too tall for her. Macan seems to answer the mail all around.

#211 ·
my E class was totaled in March and I need a replacement quick, price for CPO Benz at the time is through the roof and options are few, CPO Macan S are however all over the market, end up with one with 4.3 years of warranty for under $47K before tax and I'm happy. Took a while to get used to it, Merz are luxury car first performance second, Porsche is the other way around, I sacrificed comfortability for performance but I'm happy with the trade.

#220 ·
We ordered our MY21 Macan GTS in July and picked it up a couple weeks ago, so we were 3 months, which is pretty typical for an ordered car. We did get both keys and TPMS is installed and working fine. Our electronic steering column is manual for the time being and will be retrofitted at some point. Currently have no idea when that will be, but since I'm really the only one who drives it, it's not currently being adjusted anyway.

#216 ·
Practical reasons: my garage is small, I have a dog, my girlfriend's GLA is too small, I like to ski

I went for a turbo because I wanted a car that was fun to drive, can go anywhere and that had all of the amenities that I needed without too much tech. I've been generally disappointed with the reliability, quality/durability of the BMWs, Mercedes and Audis that I've had the privilege of owning or spending a lot of time in.

#221 ·
I've been generally disappointed with the reliability, quality/durability of the BMWs, Mercedes and Audis that I've had the privilege of owning or spending a lot of time in.
Genuinely surprised to hear this about Audi. I've owned four of them in the last 20 years and unless you get one that has a specifically lemon-y component, I found them to be amazingly reliable. Just traded in my 2017 Q7 with 70k+ miles for a '21 Macan GTS (love it so far!) and only ever had to take it in for one unscheduled maintenance issue, and it had nothing to do with the drivetrain. (as an example)

#218 ·
I had a 2020 Mercedes A45. I enjoyed the performance and it was a great car to drive but just too small. Randomly walked into Porsche and checked out the Macan after listing for it online for an eternity and put in an order straight away.
It’s about to be delivered, so I can’t yet say if it is the right decision, but from all my time researching looks like I’ll be in for a treat.

#226 ·
You are lucky or I am unlucky. My only E46 has made me a decent DIY mechanic and it cost me $5k just last years for repairs.

#227 ·
I have a great Indy mechanic who kept them both running at a reasonable price. 250,000 miles on the first one bought new, and owned it 15 years. Only big repair was a manual transmission at about 175,000. He found a used one and installed it for about $1,100. 125,000 miles on the second, bought from my mechanic 5 years ago and sold it back to him yesterday. The usual wheel bearings, breaks, etc.

#237 ·
Just to clear this up a bit. Yes, "some" dealers will store your extra set of tires. The rules vary from you must buy the set from them to "sure, the fee is $$$". There are also places that store tires for a fee. Its still the aggravation of the twice a year changeover and that cost money.

There is no difference between the corrosion warranty on a Macan or a 911, so any excuse about corrosion makes no difference what you drive

There are no options for 911 to buy an all-season tire. 😱 Thats fairly new, not N specs, but can be done. I've never read anyone doing it but I guess one could and could not bring myself to do this.

Washing in the winter outside. Forget about it deep in the snowbelt. In the middle states, forget about it too. Its just too cold. Even at 40, turning on the water and off is a major pain. However more and more I'm seeing do itself car washes but you just drive mile and the car is filthy again.

#238 ·
So after going to college in Duluth MN my second knowledge level came from what happens to cars in the frozen north. My best friend at the time was living at home where he could park his car in a HEATED garage. Turns out from subsequent studies he was killing his car. Apparently, and I am not going to search for this study, if you leave your salt encrusted frozen car out in the elements with icicles dripping off of it this is better than running it into the warm garage where ice melts and the salt begins its work on destroying everything it touches.

#240 ·
I’ve got a car that has survived 60 winters …not showing any signs yet. . . . .but, you never know.

Granted it doesn’t get the exposure to salt and the yuck.

The upside is that the current materials likely handle the elements much better. We we’re having a discussion, yesterday, about bringing a spare car from Wellington to Palm Beach and leaving parked outside exposed to sea air. My thinking is that the current paint and finishes. . , , if it got properly washed every couple weeks . . . Would stand up well to the exposure. We’ll see.

#242 ·
10 days ago I picked up a 2017 Turbo PP. Why?

1. I'm a Porsche guy and Porsche guys buy Porsches.
2. I now live in a Mexican city with cobble stone roads, pot holes, speed bumps everywhere and floods.
3. Because I can actually track it, true to it's brand roots of driving it to the track, tracking it and driving it back home.

#244 ·
I like cars. Never liked driving things with bigger sizes or higher seating positions: boring. I also need a car that I can toss my road bike into, and not have to take off the bike's front wheel (don't want to put my bike on a rack). That's why my last car was so perfect: BMW 4-series Gran Coupe, basically a sporty sedan with a hatch opening.

Nobody really makes this body style anymore: BMW, Audi (A5 sportback), and Kia Stinger? The only SUV I've ever really had my eye on over the years is the Macan. Finally, after six years of watching it, I decided to go for it.

I think it's the closest thing to a versatile sporty sedan. Plus, it's a Porsche. Why didn't I just get a Q5? The Macan looks more special (although not much less common around my city), and I know the platform engineering is more bespoke than usual. The Macan is built in a Porsche factory, not in a building that also pumps out Q5s.

Happy so far.

#246 ·
1. Handling
2. Ride
3. Hiway comfort
4. Handling
5. Quality
6. Handling

Downsized from a 2016 base Cayenne to a Macan turbo. Other cars were 2013 Boxster S, 2013 911 2s cab, and 2014 4s cab (still current). It’s not a sports car in a classic sense but it can lay down some moves in the twisties while still delivering a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride on the highways. Oh - did I mention acceleration?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.