Porsche Macan Forum banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Genuinely surprised to hear this about Audi. I've owned four of them in the last 20 years and unless you get one that has a specifically lemon-y component, I found them to be amazingly reliable. Just traded in my 2017 Q7 with 70k+ miles for a '21 Macan GTS (love it so far!) and only ever had to take it in for one unscheduled maintenance issue, and it had nothing to do with the drivetrain. (as an example)
Well, I had a 2013 Q5 2.0t that I took to 98k. If it wasn't for the extended powertrain, I would have had to pay for 12,000 in repairs. The clip for my sunshade broke 3 times and my interior started peeling.

Dad's 05 S4 had many problems that led to him selling it when he hit 78k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I had a 2013 Q5 2.0t that I took to 98k. If it wasn't for the extended powertrain, I would have had to pay for 12,000 in repairs. The clip for my sunshade broke 3 times and my interior started peeling.

Dad's 05 S4 had many problems that led to him selling it when he hit 78k.
Ouch, sorry to hear that!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been a BMW driver since 1992. E28, E39, E46 'vert, E60, F10, F12 (V8 'vert), and 2 G30's. My 2020 BMW M550i (leased in 2019) was my last BMW. AWD, great V8, great transmission, fast as snot, great technology, great seats, but the car had no soul. Since it was a lease, and I wasn't driving it due to COVID, I decided to send it packing.

I wanted to get out of the leasing game, keep an ICE car to last me for a while, and was looking long and hard at a lot of cars (MB, Audi, BMW M4, Z4, and M850i 'vert). I kept thinking back to my loaner Macans (base models used while my wife's Cayenne was in the shop) and my friend's Macan Turbo. They were all fun to drive and had a soul. It came down to a Macan GTS, or a 718 Spyder. Since I want to keep this car for a while, and I'm pushing 60, the idea of the Spyder being my daily driver didn't sit well (literally). Six months after sending off the M550i, I bought my GTS. No - I'm still not driving to work due to COVID, but I have found that I make up reasons to drive my GTS, something I never did with the M550 (but did with my E39/E46/F12). Yes - I think about that Spyder often, realizing I could have driven it for a year or two and likely gotten my money back (or more, due to COVID).

In the end, there can be only one, and I'm very happy with my Macan GTS.
I just sold my second E46 today to make room for the Macan. Both were great and dependable drivers. My wife’s 328x GT is not a fun driver but comfortable and practical. I’ve lusted for an M240 but a bit too pricey and not nearly as practical as the Macan. 3 days old and already we’re arguing who gets to drive it.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
You are lucky or I am unlucky. My only E46 has made me a decent DIY mechanic and it cost me $5k just last years for repairs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are lucky or I am unlucky. My only E46 has made me a decent DIY mechanic and it cost me $5k just last years for repairs.
I have a great Indy mechanic who kept them both running at a reasonable price. 250,000 miles on the first one bought new, and owned it 15 years. Only big repair was a manual transmission at about 175,000. He found a used one and installed it for about $1,100. 125,000 miles on the second, bought from my mechanic 5 years ago and sold it back to him yesterday. The usual wheel bearings, breaks, etc.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
I just sold my second E46 today to make room for the Macan. Both were great and dependable drivers. My wife’s 328x GT is not a fun driver but comfortable and practical. I’ve lusted for an M240 but a bit too pricey and not nearly as practical as the Macan. 3 days old and already we’re arguing who gets to drive it.
Give her that , get rid of everything else , and get a 911 .

·
Super Moderator
10,533 Posts
My dealer has a preowned convertible 911 in the showroom. Bucket list car but not a great DD in the winter in Syracuse, NY.
You do not need a C4 in the snow belt. As many others have said many times, much of the weight is over the huge rear tires. People have been driving 911s in the snow since 1965 or so when they first came out. Its no different than a VW Bug. People have become so accustomed to the concept of AWD, you wonder how the world survived before it existed and it does zero good on ice. You just need snows, as I am sure you are well aware.

Regarding the RL thread, many people simply do not like the idea of driving around $125K+ cars in the snow for a few reasons.

First, particularly in the middle states on the sunbelt/snowbelt line, the OTHER drivers "forget" how to drive in the snow. And some are downright dangerous. Why take the risk?

Second, the salt or brine does matter. Not because its going to rot the undersides, the cars are warranted now for some ridiculous number of years for rust, like 12 or something like that. But because for many these cars are their babies and they can't stand the idea of the car not being detailed all the time. And its impossible to wash them in the winter. Nobody is going to have outside water on where it freezes. Very few take them to car washes and those that do regret it. You could take it to the do itself car wash, something I have tried, but its a major pain ... drive there, pay, get out your washing stuff, do the work, go home and since the salt won't be off the road until it rains again, its filthy again. So its a waste of time. There are waterless washing solutions but ... meh.

And then there is the tire problem. In the snowbelt, it makes sense to get snows. But you need a place to store them, and the summers. So you need two sets of wheels and tires. And then the aggravation of two times a year changeover, something those in the snowbelt are well used to. But not in other parts of the country.

You really do not want to drive on the summers, below 40 they are just dangerous. Below 20 they can crack and shouldn't be moved. Tirerack has information on this. OTOH, I have seen a GT3 with snows on driving in a snowstorm. So go figure.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
You do not need a C4 in the snow belt. As many others have said many times, much of the weight is over the huge rear tires. People have been driving 911s in the snow since 1965 or so when they first came out. Its no different than a VW Bug. People have become so accustomed to the concept of AWD, you wonder how the world survived before it existed and it does zero good on ice. You just need snows, as I am sure you are well aware.

Regarding the RL thread, many people simply do not like the idea of driving around $125K+ cars in the snow for a few reasons.

First, particularly in the middle states on the sunbelt/snowbelt line, the OTHER drivers "forget" how to drive in the snow. And some are downright dangerous. Why take the risk?

Second, the salt or brine does matter. Not because its going to rot the undersides, the cars are warranted now for some ridiculous number of years for rust, like 12 or something like that. But because for many these cars are their babies and they can't stand the idea of the car not being detailed all the time. And its impossible to wash them in the winter. Nobody is going to have outside water on where it freezes. Very few take them to car washes and those that do regret it. You could take it to the do itself car wash, something I have tried, but its a major pain ... drive there, pay, get out your washing stuff, do the work, go home and since the salt won't be off the road until it rains again, its filthy again. So its a waste of time. There are waterless washing solutions but ... meh.

And then there is the tire problem. In the snowbelt, it makes sense to get snows. But you need a place to store them, and the summers. So you need two sets of wheels and tires. And then the aggravation of two times a year changeover, something those in the snowbelt are well used to. But not in other parts of the country.

You really do not want to drive on the summers, below 40 they are just dangerous. Below 20 they can crack and shouldn't be moved. Tirerack has information on this. OTOH, I have seen a GT3 with snows on driving in a snowstorm. So go figure.
Some guys said on another thread that there dealership stores the wheel and tire . I do agree that salt can wear on car but thats even true of a Macan . Mind you this is all very foreign to me . I have not seen snow at all since the early 90's . My wife never saw snow .

I stil would get it and just do the extra work in harsh climate . We all face extreme weather wear on cars . I face sun that melts tings , salt for ocean air, and of course hurricane risks . It still keeps me in these cars . I just adjust to being as prepared and careful .

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
40+ years ago when I lived in cold weather I used to take my car in the garage with multiple buckets and do one panel at a time by hand . I was a teen back then but the temp remained above freezing in the insulation of the home garage . In New York I do recall temps well above freezing in the day at many times . Of course I left it dirty when it was outrageously cold . Now it is true that I did not have a Porsche . I was still a baby living with my parents . I even did their cars too sometimes .

The PL thread only had a few who adamantly rejected driving it. Most used it daily much like Nick did .

·
Super Moderator
10,533 Posts
Just to clear this up a bit. Yes, "some" dealers will store your extra set of tires. The rules vary from you must buy the set from them to "sure, the fee is $$$". There are also places that store tires for a fee. Its still the aggravation of the twice a year changeover and that cost money.

There is no difference between the corrosion warranty on a Macan or a 911, so any excuse about corrosion makes no difference what you drive

There are no options for 911 to buy an all-season tire. 😱 Thats fairly new, not N specs, but can be done. I've never read anyone doing it but I guess one could and could not bring myself to do this.

Washing in the winter outside. Forget about it deep in the snowbelt. In the middle states, forget about it too. Its just too cold. Even at 40, turning on the water and off is a major pain. However more and more I'm seeing do itself car washes but you just drive mile and the car is filthy again.

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Just to clear this up a bit. Yes, "some" dealers will store your extra set of tires. The rules vary from you must buy the set from them to "sure, the fee is $$$". There are also places that store tires for a fee. Its still the aggravation of the twice a year changeover and that cost money.

There is no difference between the corrosion warranty on a Macan or a 911, so any excuse about corrosion makes no difference what you drive

There are no options for 911 to buy an all-season tire. 😱 Thats fairly new, not N specs, but can be done. I've never read anyone doing it but I guess one could and could not bring myself to do this.

Washing in the winter outside. Forget about it deep in the snowbelt. In the middle states, forget about it too. Its just too cold. Even at 40, turning on the water and off is a major pain. However more and more I'm seeing do itself car washes but you just drive mile and the car is filthy again.
So after going to college in Duluth MN my second knowledge level came from what happens to cars in the frozen north. My best friend at the time was living at home where he could park his car in a HEATED garage. Turns out from subsequent studies he was killing his car. Apparently, and I am not going to search for this study, if you leave your salt encrusted frozen car out in the elements with icicles dripping off of it this is better than running it into the warm garage where ice melts and the salt begins its work on destroying everything it touches.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I’ve got a car that has survived 60 winters …not showing any signs yet. . . . .but, you never know.

Granted it doesn’t get the exposure to salt and the yuck.

The upside is that the current materials likely handle the elements much better. We we’re having a discussion, yesterday, about bringing a spare car from Wellington to Palm Beach and leaving parked outside exposed to sea air. My thinking is that the current paint and finishes. . , , if it got properly washed every couple weeks . . . Would stand up well to the exposure. We’ll see.

·
Registered
17 Turbo PP
8 Posts
10 days ago I picked up a 2017 Turbo PP. Why?

1. I'm a Porsche guy and Porsche guys buy Porsches.
2. I now live in a Mexican city with cobble stone roads, pot holes, speed bumps everywhere and floods.
3. Because I can actually track it, true to it's brand roots of driving it to the track, tracking it and driving it back home.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts