Porsche Macan Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m 73, always admired Porsche’ (I have 3 daughters and when they were younger if they gave me a hard time I would say “you’re the reason I’m not driving a Porsche so knock it off”. My wife said I needed to get out of sedans (ease of entry, etc), saw a Macanin and immediately fell in love with the beauty of the car. I’ve had mine since April and plan on keeping it forever…..high maintenance cost or not. I haven’t owned a car, any car, over 3 years so the Macan is going to be a new maintenance experience…..but I’m ready for it and the Macan is worth it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've always loved the looks of the Macan . . . and like the idea, and fun, of being able to build precisely what we wanted. I was also looking for something less expensive after buying a couple F-250 Super Duty pickups . . . . the Macan, nicely laid out, saved me a cool $20K.

Originally it was kind of a spare for folks visiting in the Hudson Valley but the pandemic morphed it to a Palm Beach to NYC commuter and the Macan excels. I like the way it handles, love the headlights (I do a LOT of night driving) and it fits 2 cat carriers, a load of guitars and a bike rack perfectly.

It's also a magnet for gear heads and I've really enjoyed the folks I have met.

It was my first Porsche . . my partners 9th . . . she has had a very longstanding . . 911 habit. We both like to drive.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've been a BMW driver since 1992. E28, E39, E46 'vert, E60, F10, F12 (V8 'vert), and 2 G30's. My 2020 BMW M550i (leased in 2019) was my last BMW. AWD, great V8, great transmission, fast as snot, great technology, great seats, but the car had no soul. Since it was a lease, and I wasn't driving it due to COVID, I decided to send it packing.

I wanted to get out of the leasing game, keep an ICE car to last me for a while, and was looking long and hard at a lot of cars (MB, Audi, BMW M4, Z4, and M850i 'vert). I kept thinking back to my loaner Macans (base models used while my wife's Cayenne was in the shop) and my friend's Macan Turbo. They were all fun to drive and had a soul. It came down to a Macan GTS, or a 718 Spyder. Since I want to keep this car for a while, and I'm pushing 60, the idea of the Spyder being my daily driver didn't sit well (literally). Six months after sending off the M550i, I bought my GTS. No - I'm still not driving to work due to COVID, but I have found that I make up reasons to drive my GTS, something I never did with the M550 (but did with my E39/E46/F12). Yes - I think about that Spyder often, realizing I could have driven it for a year or two and likely gotten my money back (or more, due to COVID).

In the end, there can be only one, and I'm very happy with my Macan GTS.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I decided that I wanted a slightly smaller vehicle to replace my 2017 Range Rover Velar. For me, returning to a Porsche Macan was an easy decision, great build quality and relative `value for money' as it is about 35k cheaper than a similar spec'd 2022 Range Rover Velar. I've decided to move from `posh' to `sporty' (no Spice Girl pun intended).
-John

·
Registered
905 Posts
I decided that I wanted a slightly smaller vehicle to replace my 2017 Range Rover Velar. For me, returning to a Porsche Macan was an easy decision, great build quality and relative `value for money' as it is about 35k cheaper than a similar spec'd 2022 Range Rover Velar. I've decided to move from `posh' to `sporty' (no Spice Girl pun intended).
-John
Where I live, the JLR and Porsche dealers are side-by-side. Walk into the service area at the JLR, and there is ALWAYS a huge pile of paper for service work. My wife wanted a Velar. Badly. Until she saw the paperwork mountain during a tour of the dealership. She drives a 2019 Cayenne S, and is quite happy. We drive her car for comfort (and more hauling space), and mine for fun.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I wanted SUV practicality and to have it be as sporty as possible (by sporty, I mean handling).

Google: sportiest SUV.

Only one answer: Macan.

Even now, bitten by the Porsche bug, I am considering Caymans and Boxsters. But I cannot help feeling the Macan is still the best choice for me (comfort, luxury, practicality, handling).

The Macan does not handle like a 911 or a Boxster or a Cayman. But it does handle pretty **** well in the real world and is lots of fun to drive, capable of driving roads in truly obnoxious fashion if one so desires. Get back to town and drive politely and no one even notices except to admire its looks.

That pretty well nails it for me . . . . and, for some odd reason, I keep wanting to add "headlights". Just one of those personal things that I find myself unable to tolerate lacking headlights with all the night driving I do.

I catch myself getting the Cayman/Boxter bug . . . and would likely have made the leap if I could decide. But, I think I would keep the Macan. With all it's German tech quirks . . . . it's a great car to drive and the there is nothing that comes near to competing on looks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
We have always had 4x4 SUV's or trucks, Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers, Ford Expeditions, Ford Edges, F-150, a Sport Trac. One exception was a 2003 Audi TT bought new and still have. Maybe it was a male menopause car. However when I first saw a Macan Turbo with its good looks next to a Cayman GTS (?) at the Philly car show with their respective 0 to 60 times of 4.3 sec vs 4.2 I began lusting after one. t took me about 3 years to pull the trigger, but no regrets. The fact that its an SUV helps me justify that its not a frivolous purchase.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
118 Posts
Coming from Mercedes E wagon. Enjoyed the car and I thought that it was the perfect car when I bought it. However, I had issues with the wagon as it seemed to bottom out too easily on road bumps and pot holes. Also, I am tall and the ease of entry and exit from the Macan helps especially when the old back acts up. I visit my family who live in a mountainous area in the Shenandoah valley so AWD is required. Other car is BMW 435 convertible which has been a great car but it is even lower than the wagon and not the best in the snow but my wife is short so she prefers the car vs suv. BMW X5 was too tall for her. Macan seems to answer the mail all around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my E class was totaled in March and I need a replacement quick, price for CPO Benz at the time is through the roof and options are few, CPO Macan S are however all over the market, end up with one with 4.3 years of warranty for under $47K before tax and I'm happy. Took a while to get used to it, Merz are luxury car first performance second, Porsche is the other way around, I sacrificed comfortability for performance but I'm happy with the trade.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We all know the feeling one gets driving our Macan's however how many of us have had to deal with puzzlement and skepticism from friends and family when trying to explain the feeling ? How many "It's just a car" or "It's just meant to get you from A to B" comments have you heard ? Even a few "You paid what ?" You could have 2 of this or 3 of that instead etc ...

Sure, no one needs a Porsche but I think many deep down would like to drive one. Speaking for myself, the extra cost of this option or that option is only a fleeting thought and soon forgotten compared to the much longer term enjoyment I derive from the car on a daily basis. I'm conscious of how good I feel behind the wheel of my Macan, as I am while driving my BMW cabriolet with the top down for that matter.

It's hard to explain why the fascination and many of my friends "just don't get it". I'm so glad I do !
started late 2014 when we’d taken Lexus sc430 infor service. Porsche dealer just down road so we stopped in our loaner car. Salesman mentioned there was a smaller version (cayenne too big) but they were so scarce none existed. I called all dealers in are and found a demo in Beaverton OR. The test drive left us speechless. So, we played on the configurator and then I accidentally hit submit and Jun (Tacoma WA) called and we were so impressed with him… long story short, we pulled that trigger. And waited 6 months.

I wanted a dependable get outta the way if I have to handsome forever car. And we still walk away, turn around and grin. Love it to pieces.

• Love
Reactions: Paul125 and mdubya

·
Registered
64 Posts
I leased a Macan GTS for 3 years and took advantage of their early termination deal. I loved it so much I decided to buy a Turbo Macan in 2020

121 - 133 of 133 Posts