101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wife's lease was coming up... She test drove:

1. BMW X3 M40
2. Audi SQ5
3. Porsche Macan

She liked the Porsche the best and here we are!
My last 10 cars have been Infiniti's. From J30 to I30 to G35 to G37 and now Q60. The last 5 or 6 being coupe's. Was going to go with something different for my last lease 3 years ago but couldn't resist the remodeled Q60. I loved them all better than the prior. Got so many compliments along the way with the Q60. But again, just felt it was time to try something new, as the Q60 hasn't changed in past 3 years. I narrowed it down to BMW X4 40i and Macan S. Though different, I loved the way each drove. After much agonizing, I picked the Macan S. I spent hours building and re-building the perfect Macan. I watched and read so many great reviews on the Macan. I finally ordered a "build to order" Macan S, which will be delivered in December when my Infiniti gets turned in. Can't wait. Especially after reading these posts. Dolomite Silver.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wife nagged me into it. She thought my Mini Cooper S was "emasculating". The Mini remains a great car, especially for the money.

Reactions: macanori

·
Registered
29 Posts
lease return ended on Acura MDX. The 2020 RDX AWD with all the gadgets was 47-48K. And a very low mileage 18 month old 2018 Macan base was selling for $50K with about 1/2 of the driver assistance, but still, it looks 10x the RDX, much quieter inside at all speeds, and we don't have to talk about the driving. So for $3K extra, forget the RDX. Oh, and CPO is a helluva deal with Porsche, right? My Warranty goes until 2023 now.

Also looked at Cadillac XTs, nice, I would consider, but wife didn't like the boxy exterior look. Good tech, good ride, quiet inside.
We had an X5 diesel, so no more BMWs for us. Was OK, just wanted to try another brand.
Looked at Mazdas just for the heck of it, it's too plasticky inside. Toxic smells.
Alfa Stelvio... meh, too small inside, too little tech. And it's Alfa.
Range Rover, $$$$s and massive depreciation and I have an F-150 for offroading.
Range Rover Sport, OK, but still, we don't need to pay for all the off roading capability.
Cayenne, felt too big for us, a bit lumbering, compared to the Macan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been in love with the Porsche brand my whole life. I've always wanted a 911. I was in a position where I could afford a Porsche and was looking at the Cayman S / 911. I had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee fully loaded as my daily. Had 110k on it, I love it. Planned on driving it another 100,000 miles. I started to have some problems with it so I decided to get rid of it while I could. I live in New England, so I need a four wheel drive car to get to work. I play hockey, golf, and ski so I need the room. I test drove the Macan S not thinking I would like it as much as I did. I had to have it. Its a Porsche with the Porsche feel. Drives night and day better than my Jeep. Its a real fun car to drive and still can fit my equipment in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a Mercedes CLS that I loved. I also have a 100 pound retriever that I love. Can't take the dog in a CLS, so time to look around. Mercedes options are all ugly in my opinion except the GLA which was just a little too small. I love BMW but their suv's are either boring or hideous, or both. The Q's are all boring, even if you paste an S in front. Wife has a Cayenne which I love, so let's go look at Porsche. Base Macan didn't feel right - wrong sound. So, it was an S. But I still drive the dog around in my wife's Cayenne, because... why should MY car get dirty. ;-)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Always loved performance cars and performance vehicles. In fact, I have almost never owned any vehicle which wasn't "performance" in some way (at least with a powerful engine). I usually purchase American cars & trucks, but there were no American-made SUVs to even consider except the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. The Macan S seemed a better fit for "performance" within my price range and a departure from what I've purchased in the past. One of the few vehicles I've ever bought that didn't have a V8.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
My father being German always had a thing for German cars. Grew up withMercs, and BMW sedans that he loved to drive fast. I was always looking forward driving from the Bay Area to Tahoe for skiing since we were never passed... except by 911s. Them he would always say, “Ah, Porsche! A real car”. He got a loaner 911 from the dealer while his Merc was in the shop and passed every car on highway 17 from SanJose to two miles outside of Santa Cruz when the CHP pulled him over. The officer said that dad was going so fast it took him 10 minutes to chase him down. Dad then found out that the officer was also German so they discussed the old country. Then the officer told dad, that he could understand why he drove it so fast, and as punishment, wouldn’t give him a ticker for excessive speed, but would keep him there until every car he passed saw him stopped. then they both went through the whole car and engine compartment for 10 minutes, shook hands and told dad that no more out of jail free cards. So you could say from my childhood the die was cast.

Bought my first 911 in 83, a 72 911T targa, and owned two more since then. Bought a Cayenne S 957 but the wife hated driving it because of its size and truck-like ride. Had the Cayenne at the dealer for two weeks getting a new key correctly programmed and they lent me a base Macan which was loaded. After two weeks, I was in love. Sporty handling, good acceleration, great amenities and oh so comfortable. Not to mention a great size which fit much better in the garage. So after another six months of driving the Cayenne, the Macan earworm would not let up and I gave in. Sold the Cayenne privately in one day and found a ‘17 S with all the options I wanted with 36K miles in excellent condition, under warranty and went for it. What blew me away was that it lost $30K in value in 3 years since new. Depreciation should really slow down now, so I feel I got one helluva deal on one helluva nice daily driver, which the wife doesn’t mind driving when her A6 is at the shop. Win, win.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I needed something easier to get in and out of. Something I could drive for a few hours and not be crippled doing it. I wanted sportiness, power, great handling, good looks from any angle, fantastic seats, really good workmanship, and reliable.

Finding that in Carmine Red on black leather AND NO TRAILER HITCH and it being a Turbo was a blessing.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
My buddy, ex tenant, Paul Mundell, offered me a free place to park my Donzi boat trailer on his 5 acre spread. Boat trailers need to be hauled. I went through all the usual possibilities but the Macan appeared to be the best. Mundell's dad won the Nobel for inventing the Euro so I figured combining a Porsche and a Donzi might be good medicine. Thus I bought my car. Reasonable to me, anyway.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hadn't had a new vehicle in quite a while. Had a 2003 Audi TT (65,000 miles) bought new and a 2008 Ford Sport Trac (175,000 miles) also bought new. Wanted a change but nothing really excited me till I started lusting over the Macan after seeing it at a car show in 2015-2016. Started musing about which of the old vehicles I should get rid of. Wife has a 2014 Ford Edge which also factored into the situation. Really loved both the Audi TT (its chipped to about 270 HP) and the Sport Trac a really flexible vehicle. Huge rear seat for the dog, the bed large enough for most needs. Couldn't pull the trigger on getting rid of either.

Thought came to me that the Macan might be the vehicle that resulted in the mating of the TT and the Sport trac. Decided to get the Macan and then see which of the two I needed the least. Pulled the trigger on a Turbo a year ago December. Fourteen months later I now have three vehicles and want to keep them all.

Reactions: drgav2005 and fritz

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My buddy, ex tenant, Paul Mundell, offered me a free place to park my Donzi boat trailer on his 5 acre spread. Boat trailers need to be hauled. I went through all the usual possibilities but the Macan appeared to be the best. Mundell's dad won the Nobel for inventing the Euro so I figured combining a Porsche and a Donzi might be good medicine. Thus I bought my car. Reasonable to me, anyway.
Looks like we bought our Macan's for same reason. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Living in Colorado, my wife and I felt like we should have at least 1 car with AWD and something comfortable for road trips. I saw that Jeff Zwart had one as his daily so I bought one without ever even sitting in it or driving it. If it was good enough for guys like him and other reviewers, who was I to think otherwise. My first experience of sitting in one was to drive it home from the dealer.

Reactions: drgav2005 and fritz

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Living in Colorado, my wife and I felt like we should have at least 1 car with AWD and something comfortable for road trips. I saw that Jeff Zwart had one as his daily so I bought one without ever even sitting in it or driving it. If it was good enough for guys like him and other reviewers, who was I to think otherwise. My first experience of sitting in one was to drive it home from the dealer.
That's amazing choice for Colorado. That's actually when my SUV journey began. I rented a Q3 in Denver and went to Aspen. That's when I figured that I want an SUV, but definitely not Q3 as body roll was so scary in the mountains with the traffic going 100. Macan is a perfect car for those trips.

·
Registered
297 Posts
needed an SUV coming from a 335 BMW. needed a tow attachment for bike rack.

test drove all the luxury suv's (wife already has a Volvo XC90 so dont want two)...none compared to the driveability and the fit or finish

Ive always wanted a porsche (granted a 911) and this thing is so gorgeous to look at. 5 months later as my daily driver and I still look back and marvel at it. never loved a car as much as this one.

It makes me happy knowing its in the garage or outside waiting for me to get off work.

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
318 Posts
I wanted SUV practicality and to have it be as sporty as possible (by sporty, I mean handling).

Google: sportiest SUV.

Only one answer: Macan.

Even now, bitten by the Porsche bug, I am considering Caymans and Boxsters. But I cannot help feeling the Macan is still the best choice for me (comfort, luxury, practicality, handling).

The Macan does not handle like a 911 or a Boxster or a Cayman. But it does handle pretty **** well in the real world and is lots of fun to drive, capable of driving roads in truly obnoxious fashion if one so desires. Get back to town and drive politely and no one even notices except to admire its looks.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts