Porsche Macan Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
After driving a number of vehicles over the years we got our first Macan. It was a CPO and also a test into Porsche.

My wife liked it because she can steer the car where she wants, it holds the required food she buys at Costco, it has responsive acceleration from a start. The heated seats and steering wheel work without draining the battery and we can have a quiet discussion while driving.

I like the performance, comfortable ride, quiet interior, safety features (TPMS for preventative use, tools to change a tire, tire sealant, and also a spare tire). In winter, I love how this thing will start after being outside in -35C weather for a couple of days without any issues, or drive through deep snow. Really quite a machine.

Other vehicles may be better in one or more categories but the Macan is a great average of all the reasons. For me I worry less when my wife is out and about knowing that she is in a pretty safe vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased my Macan Turbo because I live in San Francisco and only have room for a single car. Was hoping that with the Macan I'd be able to still have a sporty vehicle while also being able to go to the mountains in snow, carry people, and cargo when necessary.

Unfortunately, the sporty side wasn't quite sporty enough so that Macan is gone as of yesterday, replaced with a Maimi Blue GT3 Touring :)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Why did I buy one? I remember telling my wife I would NEVER buy another beautiful ride only to get it trashed on Houston roads. Did I listen to myself when I said that? Obviously not. I already knew a few things. First, about 10-12 years ago, I sat in a 911 and fell in love with the seats. They "fit". Years went by and after a fifth lumbar surgery, I could no longer drive a vehicle low to the groundd, like a car... I needed something higher for ease of ingress/egress. So, I started looking at CUV's. I first looked at the early SQ-5's because they were supercharged. Figured modding would be easy with a SC (pulley & flash). The newer ones today use turbos. But I just didn't feel it. I looked at the Stelvio, the BMW X5M, the GLC63S and the Macan.

Read everything I could get my hands and eyes on for those CUV's and more. It came down to the seats. Mine has 18-way seating which for me works (6' @ 165#). So, I made a list of those options that I must have, should have and it would be nice to have.... For me, 18-way seats, Chrono package, the 3.6L Turbo and AS were must haves.I found a new 2018 Carmine Red on black with my 'must haves' and a few other should and nice to haves already included. The first thing I did was slap on some good rubber. The second thing I did was get the entire front covered with the usual XPel film.

I can live with this for a while...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I purchased my Macan Turbo because I live in San Francisco and only have room for a single car. Was hoping that with the Macan I'd be able to still have a sporty vehicle while also being able to go to the mountains in snow, carry people, and cargo when necessary.

Unfortunately, the sporty side wasn't quite sporty enough so that Macan is gone as of yesterday, replaced with a Maimi Blue GT3 Touring :)
So send us some picks with your GT3 up in the snow and carrying 3 more people with luggage.....

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I bought my Macan because it would fit in my garage. I wanted the new Cayenne Turbo but Porsche made it a few inches longer than the old model. It took as while but I found a loaded Performance Package owned by the owner of a Porsche dealership and bought it 6 months old. Driving a DB11 as the other car, I wanted something practical but exciting to step into when my wife took the Aston. Neither of us is sad to drive the Macan Turbo PP and to be honest it's probably the best car we have ever driven. If I moved to a house with a bigger garage I would not buy a Cayenne. There is no need as we have no kids and the handling of the Macan as an SUV is quite astonishing. It is the most sports car like SUV I have driven.

I am in Charleston right now after driving here from Los Angeles via Phoenix, Albuquerque, Oklahoma, Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta. Next stop Daytona then Miami and Naples. Fly home for two weeks and leave Macan in Fort Lauderdale long stay parking. Then drive to Chicago, Omaha, Cheyenne, Yellowstone, Spokane, Seattle then down Pacific Coast Highway back to Los Angeles. The only issue we had was a stone cracking the windshield. Had it replaced in Atlanta so no interruption to the trip.

When I sell the DB11 it will be a 911 I buy next.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got into Porsche because of the Panameras (I bought two of them before my 2019 Macan). I needed something more practical as a daily driver (and something with more ground clearance), but got addicted to the Porsche style and driving dynamics. So in addition to it being a proper Porsche in its driving characteristics, the stability of the vehicle at low and high speeds, its structural integrity, and its overall features/options (including great lumbar-supported seats) were all specs that prevented me from buying any other brand. I may be a Porsche driver til I'm 90 now (though I have no interest in buying 2-door Porsches).

·
Registered
2021 992C4S, 2020 Macan S, 2008 Touareg V8
473 Posts
So at 115k miles but still running sweetly it was time to consider a last vehicle for the wife's 70th birthday in October. Factors such as defensive technology, given her eye sight is not what it was, (ie Blind Spot monitoring which I was planning to retrofit, better lighting (I threw out the halogens and installed HIDs, but still not quite there) as well that she liked the cornering lights on my (12 year old) Touareg which she didn't have on the base model which would be impractical to retrofit; brought me here having chosen of an apt successor.

The elimination round:

Alas, VW is no longer making Touaregs in the US (not that they ever realized they were) so filling reliable shoes yet still providing (me) with excitement killed Audi. I totally dislike their minimalist approach, some technology choices they made are inane (Eigenfrequency comes to mind) and then when TOWMBO rented an Q5 she missed her 12 year old Touareg took care of that. I looked at the Q8, interesting but again not quite what I was looking for though the styling was nice. So Vdub alas is out (why do I have two of them - because I enjoy the pain), Audi is out (my RS5 is great value for money but hard to get 5 Siberians in there), Jag? No, don't think so, just thinking of my days working on MG Midgets, and Triumphs, made English cars a non starter (well ok not the McLaren. Alfa was a contender, but alas, it's a long way to find a dealer up here and reliability is unknown. The Japanese were not in the running and no MOPAR will again (other than a 71 Cuda) be seen in my stable.

The Lambo Urus had one thing going for it, I could run VCDS on it, alas my life expectancy would not be long with that choice.

The Soft Approach to Reason:

So having picked what I believe is the best in both styling and performance next came the delicate part of convincing TOWMBO that it was time to move on especially since a friend was interested in the V6. Having braced myself for the inevitable "do we really need this?", "why do we need to change the Touareg since you take care of it so it's running great...", or "can we not just buy a Subaru?" were gently (but firmly) laid aside unveiling the only real and obvious contender as the Macan. Sad that the GTS was not available but then again one would have to explain what the GTS stood for and how much more for the three letters and why ...

And that's the story and looking forward to January.

siberian

·
Registered
306 Posts
# 1 reason I bought a Macan S is because I felt I deserved it.

# 2 reason I bought it was my daily driver - Subaru Crosstrek was so BORING. The Subaru was reliable, cheap to operate but booooring.

#3 the Macan S compliments my Cayman GTS nicely IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 996 and a GMC sierra 1500 and wanted to consolidate. My wife is a horrible driver when driving the truck (too big for her) and can't drive a manual so the 996 was never an option for her. I wanted to stay with the brand so the Macan was the natural choice. It can tow my motorcycles to the track and I can hustle it down the tail of the dragon a few times a year. Plus it's a manageable size so the wife can drive it if she needs to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went through a lot of deliberation and test driving before I made my final decision, which I go through in my blog at mydrivingpassions.com.

Ultimately, familiarity with the brand, performance, comfort, and practicality (for my lifestyle anyway) sealed the deal.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went through a lot of deliberation and test driving before I made my final decision, which I go through in my blog at mydrivingpassions.com.

Ultimately, familiarity with the brand, performance, comfort, and practicality (for my lifestyle anyway) sealed the deal.
Nice blog - I enjoyed it.

Thanks for your Service.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I drove to chorus rehearsal last week and as I got out of my 2018 Carmine Red GTS a choir singer who got out of his car looked at me and said, “Nice midlife crisis you got there

There’s that, I guess, but tried many sport SUVs and nothing else felt like the Macan. Smooth, powerful, throaty, go-where-you-point-it lovely.

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 718 Cayman was just a bit too small for a DD and hitting a deer on a commute would hit me right in the face. Sure loved that car even though the road noise overpowers any music or podcast enjoyment.

The Macan just fits what I need so much better - room for passengers, better egress/ingress, quiet ride, and sporty enough with great handling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After driving the competition; SQ5, x3 m40i, GLC 43. I even was looking at the a RRS w/ the v8. The quality on the Macan S was far superior to the competition. The best example I can give is to the attention of detail. Even down to the heated/ventilated seats buttons, they feel like quality that Mercedes, BMW or Audi cannot touch (in my opinion).

I've also always wanted a Porsche for the last 10 years, but I was always afraid of people judging me in my industry for having one. This time around I said 'screw it' to myself (seriously) and got exactly what I wanted. So here we are, about 1900 miles on the beast. I can't wait to be able to step on it after the break-in period.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I purchased my first macan (2017 S) because I've always wanted a Porsche and I figured it was going to cost me about $3000 a year over the MB E350 I was leasing. While I prefer to lease cars, I purchased the Macan because the leasing deal was financially uninteresting (being kind). Generally, I only keep cars 2-3 years..one of the reasons I started to lease cars, My previous MB lease was costing about $7800 a year...and I figured the Macan would cost maybe $10K a year and the expected exhilaration was worth that investment.

Last week....3 year service almost due and I was driving by the dealer with some time to kill so I stopped in to kick tires and set up the service appt. Service Advisor said $1300 for the 30K and I am close to needing new tires, $1600 with alignment/etc. OK....set it up and went to kick tires in the showroom. My salesman suggested I drive a 2019 Macan S to see how the new A/C vents and new screen worked. While we test drove, they looked at my 17. Then we configured a hypothetical replacement and checking, he found they still had one build opening for Thanksgiving delivery that could still be changed. That new build added the premium plus package essentially adding Bose Radio and panoramic roof to the options in my current car so we were talking about a $72K S vs my $68K 2017.

After a bit of haggling, $34K cash out the door (includes all taxes/fees/...) with my trade in. Then, the sales manager told me that he'd take care of the 30K service and tires when my car arrived...so I saved that $2900...making it essentially a $31K deal.....and if I wanted to compare apples to apples, I added $2660 worth of options so I can almost convince myself that it only cost me $28500 to drive the 3 years....less than that $10K number I had in my head.

How could I resist :p:p:p so while all of you are shopping on Black Friday, I'll be picking up my new 2020 Silver Macan S

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have enjoyed Lexus, Audis, Infiniti’s, Corvettes, Trucks, Mustangs and every other American and Japanese vehicle.
Each one has their great qualities.
At 61 I decided to try a Porsche. I wanted beautiful appearance, ease of getting in and out; great acceleration when desired; good storage, fairly easy to use technology and all of that with a head turning vehicle.
So the 2019 Macan S is that vehicle! After 4 months of ownership the Macan S is the most fun, useful vehicle I have ever owned.
I find myself taking the long route home just to drive it a couple more miles!

81 - 100 of 133 Posts