Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know the feeling one gets driving our Macan's however how many of us have had to deal with puzzlement and skepticism from friends and family when trying to explain the feeling ? How many "It's just a car" or "It's just meant to get you from A to B" comments have you heard ? Even a few "You paid what ?" You could have 2 of this or 3 of that instead etc ...

Sure, no one needs a Porsche but I think many deep down would like to drive one. Speaking for myself, the extra cost of this option or that option is only a fleeting thought and soon forgotten compared to the much longer term enjoyment I derive from the car on a daily basis. I'm conscious of how good I feel behind the wheel of my Macan, as I am while driving my BMW cabriolet with the top down for that matter.

It's hard to explain why the fascination and many of my friends "just don't get it". I'm so glad I do !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fortunately Ive dealt with this when I purchased my ocean boat.....It depends on who is making the comment....My standard answer is " I enjoy it" and see where it goes from there. I never talk about price. If they ask "how much".....I always say " if you have to ask you shouldn't buy it ".. and try to laugh it off...If its outside I keep it covered and let them ask whats under the cover. I always try to down play it. If its my sister in-law who drives a top of the line KIA I tell her......... " its just a car" If its my male friends......"I tell them its my new work truck" and they all laugh.....Inevitably someone wants a ride so I make sure that I take one person out for maximum effect.......I let them look around, answer a few questions then do a launch start... When we get back they are always ..... "WOW !".....haha...so I let them do all the talking. Whats funny is that friends and family know I have "A Porsche", by just showing a few people!....lol ... So now I get alot of "nice car". I always acknowledge with a " thank you" but You are right ! They wont get it but for the rest of us, we all know when You push that button , turn up the Burmester, open the Pano with the lane assist and adaptive cruise guiding u up SoCal's 101.......its all worth it:D

·
Registered
499 Posts
.... because I need a somewhat 'practical' car that can handle any weather that is fun to drive ....

Size mattered, both internal space and external dimensions ... anything larger than a Macan I won't be able to fit it into my garage and anything smaller and it would be too small. Was thinking about something like the MB E-Wagon, but that is way too long; a X3 is too small. So, the number of options are not that many.

Cost mattered ... well, I talked myself out of this one since I have an over-optioned Turbo. That's why I'm broke now, but with a big smile on my face. Luckily all the 'exotic' SUV's are more the size of the Cayenne which external dimensions are too big.

So, there really are not many other options for a fun-to-drive and practical car that can handle any weather.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Luckily all the 'exotic' SUV's are more the size of the Cayenne which external dimensions are too big.
A Cayenne, BMW X5, etc. won't fit in my garage. The Macan was my best option for "garage fit".

So, there really are not many other options for a fun-to-drive and practical car that can handle any weather.
I've been driving Caymans for years and a Boxster before that. I wanted something that was a little more practical, with a trailer hitch, that could handle most of the weather that we have in North Carolina.

The Macan is not a sports car - no matter what the salesman says - but it is a fun SUV to drive if it is equipped with PDK and Sport Chrono. (Launch control is a hoot. >:D )

·
Registered
268 Posts
bought for the feel of the steering

I woke up one day and decided I wanted a car with a larger size road presence than a regular sedan. I looked around through the current "regular brand" offerings at "normal price points" and was not impressed. Moved the search up to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Nice cars but without "soul". Tried a Porsche because the dealer was next door to a brand I just finished test driving.

Instant WOW at the Macan test drive. It was all about how the steering felt. That was the one thing that set the Macan apart from all of the others for me and drove my purchase decision.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I started by looking at SQ5's ..... then investigated the VW 'cousin'

Seemed that for a bit more $$ - you got a lot more car

THe real deal breaker on the Audi was the limited interior color selection....3 choices

In truth , that's what tipped the scales

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I also arrived at the Macan after considering the (old generation) SQ5 first. Liked the supercharged V6 in the Audi, but the first time I drove a Macan Turbo my choice was all but locked in. The combination of utility and sportiness was pretty unique at the time.

Reactions: drgav2005

·
Registered
329 Posts
We all know the feeling one gets driving our Macan's however how many of us have had to deal with puzzlement and skepticism from friends and family when trying to explain the feeling ? How many "It's just a car" or "It's just meant to get you from A to B" comments have you heard ? Even a few "You paid what ?" You could have 2 of this or 3 of that instead etc ...

Sure, no one needs a Porsche but I think many deep down would like to drive one. Speaking for myself, the extra cost of this option or that option is only a fleeting thought and soon forgotten compared to the much longer term enjoyment I derive from the car on a daily basis. I'm conscious of how good I feel behind the wheel of my Macan, as I am while driving my BMW cabriolet with the top down for that matter.

It's hard to explain why the fascination and many of my friends "just don't get it". I'm so glad I do !
Honestly I don't really care about anyone's opinion in this regard. Having said that, everyone I took in the Macan was impressed with it, and for good reason.

I love my Macan Turbo. It looks great. It drives beautifully. It's comfortable and very quiet. The interior is in my opinion second to none - yes the Panamera has those cool touch buttons, but they're also less practical. Mine has all leather in it. The seats are perfect. The Burmester sound system is really good. It's faster and handles better than pretty much everything but exotic stuff. I can buy cheap Porsche warranty for it, up to 15 years. What other brand does this?

And mind you, my other car is a new 991.2 cabriolet Turbo S with absolutely every functional option you can put on it, and lots of cosmetic things like Turbo Aero kit etc. I still love and appreciate the Macan and I don't think there's anything else like it. It has enough Porsche in it to make it really special.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I should also add that I am coming from a full sized Jeep ....
and wanted to downsize a bit....

hence the SQ5 & Macan scouting
I usually fold the back seats and use it as a 2 seater

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I usually fold the back seats and use it as a 2 seater
Don’t know if you have one of the upgraded audio systems, but if you do, did you notice how much folding the second seat improves the audio?:D

Reactions: GULFER1

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
drove the car for a few days... haven't actually folded them yet

I realign the speakers somewhat... rear passenger quadrant...
slightly more right and a bit to the rear....
to compensate for the driver being in the front left quadrant

you may have ideas about that -- I'm open

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sure ---

as in -
Wow I'm tired to day...
I went to bed late last night and had to sleep so fast - I'm exhausted

hahaha

or

I must not have had enough to drink last night...
I'm so thirsty this morning

·
Registered
768 Posts
Coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Prior to that a Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. Apparently I'm shrinking, so maybe my next will be a Mini.

Wrote down my must haves, based on my current job and lifestyle. AWD, no transverse engine, cargo capacity, nimble handling and adequate power. Budget was $50k.

• Drove the Jaguar- not as nice as the Jeep I was getting rid of. Supercharged V6 had terrible lag, like an 80's turbo.
  • Hated the nav screen in the Audi S5- looked like someone just stuck it on.
  • Loved the Audi A7 sportback. A dream machine but the $80k tag doesn't work for me.
  • Didn't even drive the BMW because of the I-knob or whatever that stupid thing is. And I hate the throttle response on my wife's 328xi.
  • Couldn't get Mercedes to call me back. Tried twice.
  • Seriously considered a Dodge Challenger GT. AWD, 305HP DOHC V6, IRS and a big trunk. The lift-in height is too tall for a heavy cooler.
  • Considered a Mini Clubman. Not enough power under the hood, even at its highest trim level.
  • My Porsche dealer called me back within minutes. Drove the Macan and was hooked. Blew my budget and pissed of the wife. After she rode in it, though, all was cool.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
People are selfish . It's that simple . They won't understand or relate to something which isn't relevant to their lifestyle . If a Porsche Macan isnt in their interest then they they wont understand the car or the person who buys one .

There are many things I dont understand about people . One night I heard a noise walked outside and a bird was flopping in the street . It looked like a car hit it . I know nothing about birds but I got a little box and my wife and I were in the street trying to get the bird . My neighbor drove up , saw us, saw the bird , and walked right into his spotless house without saying a word . That's something i dont get . As it turned out we got the bird , called a few places and found a wildlife rehab center . The next morning my wife took the bird there . Two days later the bird had healed and was released. My neighbor would have let it die in the street .

Dont even try and explain it to them. Just like that bird made it ok without my neighbor so will you make it ok with your Porsche Macan.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
For me it is familiarity of setup and ease of transition from 997 to a Macan. Cockpit setup is relatively the same so why change. My 997 is bullet proof in reliability so my faith is in Porsche. I was looking for a CUV to supplement wife’s Mercedes GL550 so I can cart 2 teenagers hockey stuff around so Macan was the obvious choice. I did look at Mercedes GLC but just couldn’t get pass the interior design, especially that stuck on iPad and no touch-screen control. I guess you can call me a Porsche fanboy and honestly it is not a bad thing at all.

John

·
Registered
99 Posts
needed something bigger than my outgoing Lexus IS-F to fit 2 car seats for my boys. wasn't feeling another sedan, didn't want a full size SUV (already have one, wife's car), so started looking towards CUV's and wagons. wanted reliability, something sporty, great exhaust note (w/ some tinkering), good power and not a downgrade from my previous car. the Macan checked all the boxes. ideally, wanted the turbo but decided to go new custom, rather than a used turbo, so the S fit the budget.

a lot of friends and family thought i made a great choice, asked questions, complimented the car, were envious. not too many of my peers own Porsches, let alone family members.

i had one acquaintance on FB (when i posted pics) who mocked the car, saying it was "cute" and asking if it was for my wife. he's a self professed "car guy" and drives an Acura RDX. we all know the RDX is the epitome of masculinity. always a hater. deleted his ass. i'm too old; have no time for that nonsense.

·
Registered
768 Posts
needed something bigger than my outgoing Lexus IS-F to fit 2 car seats for my boys. wasn't feeling another sedan, didn't want a full size SUV (already have one, wife's car), so started looking towards CUV's and wagons. wanted reliability, something sporty, great exhaust note (w/ some tinkering), good power and not a downgrade from my previous car. the Macan checked all the boxes. ideally, wanted the turbo but decided to go new custom, rather than a used turbo, so the S fit the budget.

a lot of friends and family thought i made a great choice, asked questions, complimented the car, were envious. not too many of my peers own Porsches, let alone family members.

i had one acquaintance on FB (when i posted pics) who mocked the car, saying it was "cute" and asking if it was for my wife. he's a self professed "car guy" and drives an Acura RDX. we all know the RDX is the epitome of masculinity. always a hater. deleted his ass. i'm too old; have no time for that nonsense.
I specifically kept all Japanese SUV-CUVs off my list because that are all chic cars.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts