Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last, the 10 day forecast here in northern New Jersey does not mention the word "snow", nor temps much under 40 degrees. I don't have spare winter wheels for the Macan (I prefer the OEM's but the cost for a spare set is wild, even used, as I vastly prefer the look of the 21's), so this morning was my bi-annual ritual of visiting my tire guy for the seasonal change over. Usually I'm switching to summer tires here in late March, but not this year. Strange, strange weather.

Not trying to knock my Pirelli Scorpion winter tires as they provide great winter traction even in the 265/295 widths, but putting the summer Conti OEM's back on the Macan is just such a huge breath of fresh air. You might not think it would make such a difference driving even conservatively at 35-40 mph on suburban roads, but you immediately notice how much more direct the steering feels. Not sure what it is...whether the sidewalls on the winter tires are softer, or if there's just more tread squirm, or if it's something else, but it's great to be back on the original tires.

I have extra sets of OEM wheels for the winter tires on the M235 and the X5, so that's a DIY job on those cars for this weekend. Can't wait to take the M235 for a spin after that changeover as it also improves the handling significantly, whereas on the X5 the difference is more subtle. I've never tried winters on the 996 and SLK55's as they don't leave the garage if there's a cloud in the sky :) Actually I don't even think anyone makes winter tires to fit the SLK55's rear axle.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Lucky you. I am waiting until next weekend as the weather here still get down to 30s at night time. However the 911 got summer shoes on already!

John

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can you fit tire chains or cables on the 21s? I have the 21” turbo wheels with OEM Conti tires and I’m trying to decide what to do for the winter. I had a winter wheel / tire set for my 911 and was looking forward to not having to do the twice a year wheel swap, although I may do that all over again with my Macan. I want to use it to go skiing and there are times on our mountain passes when chains are required. One option is to put all seasons on the 21s and carry chains, another option is to bite the bullet and get a set of 19 or 20 winter wheels and tires. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I don't know the first thing about tire chains. But I am curious, in the mountain passes you are referring to are chains required if you have AWD and winter tires?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rain all day tomorrow and Monday with lows in the 30's at night. But It's absolutely beautiful today out in Hunterdon County with a high of 84 currently! Even with all the windows open on both floors it's over 80 inside. Not going to turn on AC though after freezing for the past 4 months.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the first thing about tire chains. But I am curious, in the mountain passes you are referring to are chains required if you have AWD and winter tires?
He is talking about the Seattle area (from his moniker). So, once in a blue moon, maybe every 20 years, would chains be required on 4-wheel drive cars. I have decided to stick with the all-season Pirelli Scorpions for Seattle. We have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for the STi, but the twice a year switch is a pain.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
At last, the 10 day forecast here in northern New Jersey does not mention the word "snow", nor temps much under 40 degrees. I don't have spare winter wheels for the Macan (I prefer the OEM's but the cost for a spare set is wild, even used, as I vastly prefer the look of the 21's), so this morning was my bi-annual ritual of visiting my tire guy for the seasonal change over. Usually I'm switching to summer tires here in late March, but not this year. Strange, strange weather.

Not trying to knock my Pirelli Scorpion winter tires as they provide great winter traction even in the 265/295 widths, but putting the summer Conti OEM's back on the Macan is just such a huge breath of fresh air. You might not think it would make such a difference driving even conservatively at 35-40 mph on suburban roads, but you immediately notice how much more direct the steering feels. Not sure what it is...whether the sidewalls on the winter tires are softer, or if there's just more tread squirm, or if it's something else, but it's great to be back on the original tires.

I have extra sets of OEM wheels for the winter tires on the M235 and the X5, so that's a DIY job on those cars for this weekend. Can't wait to take the M235 for a spin after that changeover as it also improves the handling significantly, whereas on the X5 the difference is more subtle. I've never tried winters on the 996 and SLK55's as they don't leave the garage if there's a cloud in the sky :) Actually I don't even think anyone makes winter tires to fit the SLK55's rear axle.
Totally agree on the handling benefits of summer performance tires over all seasons. I wonder how many Macan owners have summer tires? It's probably different in other parts of the country- but I have never seen summer tires on a Macan in New England unless it had the 21" rims.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In the State of Washington there are different levels of tires / chains required depending on snow conditions in the passes. The most common is “traction devices required” which can be M+ S or all season tires on AWD vehicles like the Macan. Chains are sometimes required in extreme conditions, but it is rare if you have approved winter tires on an AWD vehicle. The problem is chains are REQUIRED to be carried in your vehicle ($500 fine) and MAY be required on AWD vehicles in extreme conditions. Bottom line is if you want to go skiing you need to carry chains, even though you may never actually need to use theM, and I guess the chains better fit. I am still researching whether I can just mount all season tires on my 21” rims and get a set of chains to fit, or whether I need to get a set of winter wheels and tires (and chains!).

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Got mine out on Monday since I was missing my Spyder wheels and 20"tires. Car drove exceptionally better without the winter shoes. Getting a historic blizzard today with 18"falling from the skies.:eek::eek:

Reactions: DavidF

·
Registered
255 Posts
He is talking about the Seattle area (from his moniker). So, once in a blue moon, maybe every 20 years, would chains be required on 4-wheel drive cars. I have decided to stick with the all-season Pirelli Scorpions for Seattle. We have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for the STi, but the twice a year switch is a pain.
You are correct I am in Seattle. My Turbo PP came with the OEM ContiContactPlus (Ithink that’s the name) which are summer performance tires. I have read through various threads that warned against using any summer performance tires in snow and ice conditions (zero traction) and I want to have the option of going anywhere year round. I may just take the Conti’s off and replace them with year round all season tires and be done with it. Are you happy with the Pirelli Scorpions? Would you recommend them for a permanent all-season solution?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You are correct I am in Seattle. My Turbo PP came with the OEM ContiContactPlus (I think that’s the name) which are summer performance tires. I have read through various threads that warned against using any summer performance tires in snow and ice conditions (zero traction) and I want to have the option of going anywhere year round. I may just take the Conti’s off and replace them with year round all season tires and be done with it. Are you happy with the Pirelli Scorpions? Would you recommend them for a permanent all-season solution?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Totally agree on the handling benefits of summer performance tires over all seasons. I wonder how many Macan owners have summer tires? It's probably different in other parts of the country- but I have never seen summer tires on a Macan in New England unless it had the 21" rims.
I tried all seasons on my 996 so I could use the car in the colder months as the summers definitely start to get slippery when it gets much below 40 degrees.

Nothing really wrong with them (and I had highly rated Michelins), but there was a noticeable loss in steering precision, and also less ultimate grip above 40-45 degrees (but better grip at lower temps).

I really need winter tires on the Macan because of the ski trips to northern New England, so since I have to switch over tires anyway I thought the summers were a better answer for me versus the all seasons. That way I have the best of both worlds (admittedly at some inconvenience and at a cost of about $200 a year), but at least I have freshly balanced tires twice a year.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you happy with the Pirelli Scorpions? Would you recommend them for a permanent all-season solution?
Yes and no. I have Winter Scorpions (not sure if they make them in all season also) and I have been pleasantly surprised how well they work despite the width. We have had even wider Scorpions on our X5 with excellent results too).

But as I mentioned in my original post above they don't come close to the handling of the Conti summers (and I don't think anyone would expect them to). And I would expect the handling to be worse in higher temps, and I would also assume they would also quickly wear out at higher temps as the rubber compound is noticeably softer and designed to maximize grip at lower temps.

Whereas the summer Contis seem to thrive on warmer weather. I've noticed the warmer the temps, the stickier they feel.

Tires are always a compromise.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes and no. I have Winter Scorpions

But as I mentioned in my original post above they don't come close to the handling of the Conti summers (and I don't think anyone would expect them to).

Tires are always a compromise.
That’s the dilemma. I feel like I am sliding back to the solution of two sets of wheels like I had for my 911, and doing the twice a year swap to get the best performance year round. At least it will be easier in the Macan since I can fit the second set in the back - I’ve been going to a tire shop 3 blocks away to do the swap and with the 911 needed to use 2 vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
You are correct I am in Seattle. My Turbo PP came with the OEM ContiContactPlus (I think that’s the name) which are summer performance tires. I have read through various threads that warned against using any summer performance tires in snow and ice conditions (zero traction) and I want to have the option of going anywhere year round. I may just take the Conti’s off and replace them with year round all season tires and be done with it. Are you happy with the Pirelli Scorpions? Would you recommend them for a permanent all-season solution?
Yes, I am happy with the Pirelli Scorpion tires. My car arrived 2/5/18 so I do not have a snow report for you, but that is how I plan to go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I may just take the Conti’s off and replace them with year round all season tires and be done with it. Are you happy with the Pirelli Scorpions? Would you recommend them for a permanent all-season solution?
My Macan has all season tires but I haven't taken it out in snow.

What follows is my experience in my BMW X5 E53. I expect that Portland conditions are a lot like Seattle.

For driving around in snow or ice on all season tires (factory Michelin), I'd say H*** no!

The confidence level just wasn't there for me. It was easy to slide around on ice. It was hard to get up a moderate incline.

Then I bought some used studded snows and wheels off Craigslist. Best $600 I ever spent. In December 2016 we got hit with multiple snow and ice storms. The stuff was around for weeks. I didn't care. The X5 went anywhere and everywhere. No problems, even though it has an open rear differential.

The first night of a big snowfall I was in the city of Portland and wanted to get home. Both Google and Apple Maps were telling me the highways were jammed. There was this other route they were recommending. What I didn't realize was that the Council Crest route had more elevation, more snow. Didn't matter. I drove past a bunch of people that had slid off the side of the road, I drove past some tow trucks trying to pull people out.

In retrospect, I was kinda stupid to even be driving. I probably should have spent the night in Portland. I was lucky I didn't hit something I couldn't handle. I was lucky some moron didn't slide into me. But, wow, studded snows were so so so much better than all season tires on my X5.

YMMV of course with the Macan. I got PTV+ to help with winter conditions, but I don't yet know just how effective it is. I also don't know how effective the Porsche winter tires would be. My BMW studded tires are no-name from Les Schwab. I expect that the studs make a difference. But quality name-brand non-studded winter tires would probably be nearly as good on the Macan?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I’m looking forward to putting my 21’s on, but we are still having temps in the 30’s (F) and even snow showers this morning in the Bluegrass!

Come on Spring!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Apologies if already discussed here but I couldn’t find a posting that covered it.

I bought a 2020 GTS last summer that came stock w 20” summer tires, and I kept my 18” winter wheel/rim combo from my previous Base Macan to use in the snow. The problem I’m finding is that in both spring and fall I’m stuck for a month or more with mornings of -5C and afternoons of +15C. The summers are deadly at the cold temps and the winters aren’t exactly great at the warm temps but I’ve defaulted to leaving the winters on until it’s consistently above around +5C in the mornings (which means it’s easily +20C in the afternoons and I’m driving on winters).

Seems to me the only obvious solution is to buy AS’s so I can take the winters off in the aforementioned conditions, but sacrificing the summer’s in nice, warm conditions kinda sucks. Anything obvious I’m missing? Do others use their winter’s in such warm conditions when they have no other reasonable choice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally, I'd just leave the winter tires on an extra month like you're doing now. That's what I do with my mine on my BMW. My opinion is that I would rather spend one more month or so on winters than sacrifice summer tires for AS for the entire summer and most of fall. I've been doing that for the past five years (still have the same Michelin X-Ice i3 winter tires. Granted I only use them from December through March) and have been happy with the results. I just put on a new set of Michelin PS 4 tires last week (replacing the current PS 4's) but have done the Michelin AS/3 in the past and would never go back to that if I can help it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
All season tires really don’t care about the weather.

Dedicated snow tires wear out ridiculously fast if they are being used on warm, dry pavement.

Sometimes you don’t have a choice. I used to live in Colorado where you would have temperatures close to summer in the middle of winter and then the next day you would have blizzard conditions, so I wound up trashing my dedicated snow tires much faster than somebody who, for example, lives in Michigan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts