Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you got an estimate yet? Porsche cars are so expensive to fix. I got into a similar situation in a shopping center parking lot with just a little scratch on the rear bumper, guess what’s the repair bill? It’s outrageous $3600!!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not that this matters but you do not need to stick it in an envelope, it will be deliverd for free. Sorry about this whole stupid event.
After I found out the other guy's insurance was going to cover my damage I took the DL over to his place and left it under the door mat where he was to look for it. I really don't think this guy is ever going to pass another drivers test. This is his last rodeo.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Have you got an estimate yet? Porsche cars are so expensive to fix. I got into a similar situation in a shopping center parking lot with just a little scratch on the rear bumper, guess what’s the repair bill? It’s outrageous $3600!!! View attachment 231638
Yes, it will cost $1,986.60. That includes the Xpel film replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that you should contact the police and file a report probably over the phone. Depending on your state, you may have no fault insurance. If you have a personal relationship with your insurance agent, give him or her a call. I would also get a quick look at the real damage. If there is just a scratch or very minor dent, forget it. If you're not sure, get a pro to look at it that should cost your nothing for an estimate. As to the license; I would give it back after making a copy so that you have a record. Just because the other guy is a jerk, doesn't mean you should be one as well. If everything is all minor, move on. if not, follow through, and best yet, get someone else to do the dirty work for you. You don't want this guy in your life any longer than necessary.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I think it is different state by state as to whether police will respond to parking lot crash. In AZ the answer is no unless personal injury or damage > a certain $. In the early 1990s (b4 cell phone) A truck backed into my car as I was driving looking for an open spot. He took out both front & rear passenger side doors. I did not move so he was blocked from leaving. I walked to the store & asked to use the phone to report the crash & was told the police will not come out. I insisted & called the police & they said the same thing, after asking about any injuries.

We exchanged information. I did NOT have a camera with me. I suggest that these days, take photos of the position of the cars & the damage. Also You copy the driver license info & insurance info yourself from the other driver's cards. Sadly, if the driver writes it all down for you, it may not be correct.

Here is an article from 2015:
5 legal tips for parking lot accidents

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. Costco here also has large bays but accidents do happen. Hopefully it all gets fixed soon.

He gave you his drivers license !? Doesn’t he need that in case he gets stopped by the police ? Ok things are different in Australia, you just exchange details including license numbers. By law you have to be insured for 3rd party to fix any damage caused to the other vehicle. Police are only required if someone is injured. Lawyers here are kept at bay as it is very, very rare for someone to sue for personal injury. If your neck hurts a bit go to the hospital, it’s free ! If your neck hurts a lot, call an ambulance. That’s free too.

PS: To my American friends, stay safe in these current events.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wow, sorry to hear about your accident. Costco here also has large bays but accidents do happen. Hopefully it all gets fixed soon.

He gave you his drivers license !? Doesn’t he need that in case he gets stopped by the police ? Ok things are different in Australia, you just exchange details including license numbers. By law you have to be insured for 3rd party to fix any damage caused to the other vehicle. Police are only required if someone is injured. Lawyers here are kept at bay as it is very, very rare for someone to sue for personal injury. If your neck hurts a bit go to the hospital, it’s free ! If your neck hurts a lot, call an ambulance. That’s free too.

PS: To my American friends, stay safe in these current events.
Yes, insurance is required in Washington state and proof of insurance. This guy could not provide that, thus I said OK I'll just keep this little thing called a drivers licence. That motivated him to call his insurance company when he got home and declare to my insurance company he was at fault. I gave him his DL back. I am still mulling over the problem with the CarFax record.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Have you checked with either insurance company to discuss loss of value due to the accident?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They are under NO obligation to report any damages to your vehicle. I do remember having a very minor tag into my bumper almost exactly as yours (1st visit). Got charged $1750. When I picked it up, it had a orange tinge (Carmine Red). Had to buffed out 2nd visit). Then I found out there are two 25mm hex bolts that hold the very bottom outside edges of the bumper from 'flapping' at speed. I found those missing (3rd visit).

We both had Geico insurance. I tried pushing the DV issue. What you and I would call traditionally the bumper, they call this the 'spoiler'. Got low-balled. There is a formula for this. I came up with $1250 for DV. They offered me $250. There's a two year statute of limitations to claim my DV. Other than hiring an attorney for ~$1,000 it would be a wash.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No, but I asked the repair people to not let Carfax know about this.
If insurance is going to pay for the damages they will report the accident to Carfax, it's guaranteed. Once a police report is made, it's also reported to carfax. If you pay out of pocket, the body shop will let it slide. Don't ask me how I know this.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I disagree Boom. In almost every case when a police report is filed it will show. But in almost all other cases, they don't. NO ONE is obligated to pick up a phone and wait on hold for a few hours or log onto their website to fill out all the info. Who's gonna do that intentionally? They could not care less! Besides, it's not required by law.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, but why don't we sit back and let wwhal let us know what he/she findss out on this?.

As the younger set says, chill....

FP

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
OK, but why don't we sit back and let wwhal let us know what he/she findss out on this?.

As the younger set says, chill....

FP
So in my case the other guy's insurance is paying for the minor repair. Does that give his insurance company the right to send a Carfax report in? If so shouldn't I know this prior to signing off on any release? Doesn't this make another layer of concern on damages? This is crazy world we are spinning around on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So in my case the other guy's insurance is paying for the minor repair. Does that give his insurance company the right to send a Carfax report in? If so shouldn't I know this prior to signing off on any release? Doesn't this make another layer of concern on damages? This is crazy world we are spinning around on.
Whenever you have any maintenance done on your car or insurance work at a shop they are supposed to report it to CARFAX. Since reporting is sporadic and voluntary it's not a perfect system. But YOU don't get a say in it.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Glad to hear that your love is back to looking new again. Just sucks that you had to go through this to begin with. I am not sure about your state, but our Corona numbers are jumping, and jumping high each day instead of going backwards!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Police can write citations for handicap or fire lane parking in lots but they cant write the same type of citation as a public road unless the municipality has an agreement . Most do but some do limit jurisdiction. Some private roads have limited access too .

As for the dog bite or the pizza shop examples both are not only different than traffic citations but even different from each other . A dog bite usually sparks an animal services follow up and the pizza example is a criminal offense .

Regarding the dog (or any pet) .. I know this may sound impractical but I tell people that any pet which bites or scratches a person (even in play) is at risk of losing its life. Its for that reason that leaving a dog in the yard or allowing play with a pet ought to be heeded with caution .
Many years ago in an icy parking lot a kid slid into me, he was going way to fast

i called the police and they said they had no jurisdiction on private property

i told them I thought he was impaired, he wasn’t.

they came out, said private property, sorry.

i Said at least Check his DL, SUSPENDED
they wrote him up.

i called my insurance and the car was his parents
they where living out of town, he gave a fake address.

my insurance company got a detective and tracked them down.
$1500 damage , they paid.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts