Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Several issues here:
1-Accidents in a private parking lot like Costco are not committed on public streets or roadways, so police do not get involved or investigate.
It is in the driver's best interests to notify the police EVEN on private property .They may not be eager to show up but there is a lot of liability at stake . Here's a a local attorney site . Do I Need to Call the Police if the Car Accident Was Minor? | Anidjar & Levine

There are a few things which they didn't mention . One is that a driver may have a suspended license or even be driving without one . The cops are the ones who can sort it out.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I was 17 I hit a puddle and stalled out . I sat there with my high school girlfriend trying to start the car . We put on the emergency flashers. Then a car comes flying down the same street , hits the same puddle , loses his brakes , and rear ends me . His car was could not be driven. When I got out to see if he was ok he had with him his wife and baby . The baby was crying and his wife was shaken up . They told me they were ok . There were no cell phones in 1977 but I said lets call the police from a pay phone. He expressed that all he needed was a ride home so his wife and baby can relax and that he lived near (I didn't live near) and we could call from his house . I was kid and so was my girlfriend . We obliged . When we got to his apartment he confessed to me that he had no license and no paperwork but promised to pay me and wrote his name and address on a paper. I must have written him about 10 letters before I gave up. I never saw a cent or heard from him .

I consider that lucky . In todays society and as an adult it is mandatory to document an accident with the police . This is especially true when driving a Porsche . We live in world where some people make a full time job out of taking money when they see it and Porsche waves a huge flag . He backed into you but with front end damage on your car he could attempt to claim hit and run . He could claim injury too. A simple police report solves EVERYTHING.

The most you will pay is your deductible . It's a lesson learned.
He is going to find it tough to go without a DL. He will never pass a test for a new one because of his limitations. My insurance people are running his plates. I have checked out his address, which is nearby, and value is at least $1.5 - $2.0 million so he isn't going to run.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
He is going to find it tough to go without a DL. He will never pass a test for a new one because of his limitations. My insurance people are running his plates. I have checked out his address, which is nearby, and value is at least $1.5 - $2.0 million so he isn't going to run.
It's not him running away that I feel an on the scene report benefits you . Perhaps you will be the fortunate one who has an honest guy offering to do the right thing but in all honestly I think he would have called the cops too. He would have supplied ample documentation as well. Instead you are looking at his house and have his drivers license .. it's just not exactly standard procedure .

I do hope it works out for you . It's never a good thing to have an accident .

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I was 17 I hit a puddle and stalled out . I sat there with my high school girlfriend trying to start the car . We put on the emergency flashers. Then a car comes flying down the same street , hits the same puddle , loses his brakes , and rear ends me . His car was could not be driven. When I got out to see if he was ok he had with him his wife and baby . The baby was crying and his wife was shaken up . They told me they were ok . There were no cell phones in 1977 but I said lets call the police from a pay phone. He expressed that all he needed was a ride home so his wife and baby can relax and that he lived near (I didn't live near) and we could call from his house . I was kid and so was my girlfriend . We obliged . When we got to his apartment he confessed to me that he had no license and no paperwork but promised to pay me and wrote his name and address on a paper. I must have written him about 10 letters before I gave up. I never saw a cent or heard from him .

I consider that lucky . In todays society and as an adult it is mandatory to document an accident with the police . This is especially true when driving a Porsche . We live in world where some people make a full time job out of taking money when they see it and Porsche waves a huge flag . He backed into you but with front end damage on your car he could attempt to claim hit and run . He could claim injury too. A simple police report solves EVERYTHING.

The most you will pay is your deductible . It's a lesson learned.
Sounds similar to my cousin's story, he's a doctor in Manhattan, works the overnight shift. He's approaching the midtown tunnel (lives in the burbs), this guy with a dodge charger with commercial work plates sideswipes his benz.
They both get out, the man pleads, if my cousin reports this to the police, he will get fired from his job. Now like others have stated, I would get the police report first, just in case the person doesn't deliver payment in cash, but my cousin was tired from doing his shift, he said agreed, Cousin only got the guys name (probably fake) and phone number. The quote for the damage is $3.5k, cousin calls the guy up, and low and behold, the guy says, "I can't afford that, and hangs up." It doesn't pay to be the nice guy in a cruel world, if you want to protect your property, then go the extra distance and at least get the police report.

So this guy stated he has no insurance? Or he forgot his insurance card?

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
BTW, my two favorite stores to shop for groceries are Costco and Trader Joes. However, both stores are the strongest magnets for the worst drivers in America. Seriously, I never been so scared to drive like when I got to those two places. Thus, my strategy is that as soon as I get into the parking lot entrance I immediately look for a parking spot. Cons: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. Pros: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. 😃 I know this won't help if you are going for the handicapped spot but I avoid driving around those parking lots like the plague.

I hear ya'!

There's a Trader Joe's not too far away with the worst parking lot ever. The individual spaces are very narrow and the
rows for parking are too close. One has to be very careful backing out of a space as people drive too quickly through
the lot - and people backing out from the other row could easily back into your car!!!

As noted - the best strategy is to park far away and walk a bit. Fewer cars and not in the main pathway for vehicles!

;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if it is possible that he is impaired with some kind of dementia. In which case you have to feel a bit sorry for him, but he probably should not be driving anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know anyone who would walk away from a legitimate drivers license. Something is wrong, besides the damage, and you need to have your insurance company involved and a police report on file.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got a call from my insurance company adjuster. She says she was able to call the perp and he had turned this over to his insurance company telling them he was entirely at fault. I asked the adjuster if she still had his phone number. I called and made arrangements to deliver his drivers license back to him, which I did this afternoon. All is well with the exception of the tracks that will be left with my car having a $2,000 accident record, which means it is not as good as it was.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I got a call from my insurance company adjuster. She says she was able to call the perp and he had turned this over to his insurance company telling them he was entirely at fault. I asked the adjuster if she still had his phone number. I called and made arrangements to deliver his drivers license back to him, which I did this afternoon. All is well with the exception of the tracks that will be left with my car having a $2,000 accident record, which means it is not as good as it was.
Look at this on the positive side, the perp didn't deny he was in the wrong and you got the claim against his insurance. My son got side swiped on the rear door/fender by a guy running a stop sign and they traded info. His insurance later denied that he was at fault since there was no police write up and refused to pay. You got lucky out of a bad situation, car will be fixed and will look as good as before no doubt.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Usually anything that happens on Private property is your own to fix ...Thats to bad sorry to hear about your accident .
Several issues here:
1-Accidents in a private parking lot like Costco are not committed on public streets or roadways, so police do not get involved or investigate.
2-Leaving with the driver's license can be considered petty theft or misappropriation of another's property, at least it is in California.
3-Without exchanging information, like cell phone number or other contact information, you are now in a position where you have to find this person to try to resolve the issue. Most people prefer not to report it to insurance companies because of deductibles and chance of increased premiums. Unless you somehow get a hold of this person, you might have to go through your insurance and pass on the other driver's license information and they could investigate the other driver, etc.
Good luck with this, keep us posted as to how this works out!

Wow, there really is, I know this will come as a shock to many, gobs of misinformation on the internet.

Because something happened in a Costco parking lot you think that's private property and the police won't get involved? What a bunch of nonsense. Please don't espouse things you aren't certain of. The police are in my Costco parking lot on a regular basis giving tickets to people parked in the fire lane.

When my dog bit the mailman, the police came right down my driveway, on my private property to take a report.

Now to the OP. Wow, what a fool's move, respectfully, for you to have gone up to him to tell him he took your spot. And you live in a state where everyone and their grandmother carries a weapon. He could have said you came at him in his car and shot you.

Never, ever argue over a parking spot. Whether you've been waiting and it's "rightfully" yours or not. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

And to take his license and drive away? Another bad decision on your part.

Sometimes bad things like accidents happen to good people, like in your case. Suck it up and pay to get it fixed, or go through your insurance company. You could have easily said you came out and someone hit your car, it would go through comprehensive and not be a strike against you or increase your rates. That would also not be honest however.

Years back in Dobbs Ferry NY a gentleman was killed by a pizza store owner's son over a parking spot. He went to jail for a very long time and someone lost their life. Never, ever worth it.

He's granted parole after 20 years.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Oh WOW! I am so sorry that this happened. I totally feel you pain.

I was glad to read that the insurance company has taken over and hopefully your Macan will be fixed in no time. Yes, not as it originally was but better than what he left you with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the Costco handicapped lot waiting for a spot. Guy whizzes past me to take the spot I am waiting for. I go up and have a conversation about his move and suggest that he remove himself from where I was to park. I go back to to my car and he proceeds to back into me (this is not good). I go back to the this person and describe what he has done to my car and ask for his insurance information. He can't find it but hands me his drivers license. I say thank you very much and take it and depart. Down the road I get the pictures of the car/plates/drivers license but depart with the guys DL. My question is should I give it back? What would you do? Meanwhile I am spending hours getting repair bids and dealing with the issues.
It could very well be a fake id. Every college kid in the country has one.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow, there really is, I know this will come as a shock to many, gobs of misinformation on the internet.

Because something happened in a Costco parking lot you think that's private property and the police won't get involved? What a bunch of nonsense. Please don't espouse things you aren't certain of. The police are in my Costco parking lot on a regular basis giving tickets to people parked in the fire lane.

When my dog bit the mailman, the police came right down my driveway, on my private property to take a report.

Now to the OP. Wow, what a fool's move, respectfully, for you to have gone up to him to tell him he took your spot. And you live in a state where everyone and their grandmother carries a weapon. He could have said you came at him in his car and shot you.

Never, ever argue over a parking spot. Whether you've been waiting and it's "rightfully" yours or not. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Sometimes bad things like accidents happen to good people, like in your case. Suck it up and pay to get it fixed, or go through your insurance company. You could have easily said you came out and someone hit your car, it would go through comprehensive and not be a strike against you or increase your rates. That would also not be honest however.

Years back in Dobbs Ferry NY a gentleman was killed by a pizza store owner's son over a parking spot. He went to jail for a very long time and someone lost their life. Never, ever worth it.

As opposed to your viewpoint when I took his DL I figured he would hop to it and contact his own insurance company. He did and admitted to be at full fault. I contacted the guy that hit me and got his DL back to him. My car gets fixed on Monday. Without that incentive for him to get his license back I doubt I would have his insurance company stepping up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is why my wife and I park way out when we go to the store. Avoid all the riff raff that way. We don't mind walking distances anyway so it is just more exercise along with keeping the Macan safer!!

·
Registered
141 Posts

Looks like Mafioso pizza shop owner bribed the parole board. This man should have never been able to leave prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,764 Posts

Police can write citations for handicap or fire lane parking in lots but they cant write the same type of citation as a public road unless the municipality has an agreement . Most do but some do limit jurisdiction. Some private roads have limited access too .

As for the dog bite or the pizza shop examples both are not only different than traffic citations but even different from each other . A dog bite usually sparks an animal services follow up and the pizza example is a criminal offense .

Regarding the dog (or any pet) .. I know this may sound impractical but I tell people that any pet which bites or scratches a person (even in play) is at risk of losing its life. Its for that reason that leaving a dog in the yard or allowing play with a pet ought to be heeded with caution .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in the Costco handicapped lot waiting for a spot. Guy whizzes past me to take the spot I am waiting for. I go up and have a conversation about his move and suggest that he remove himself from where I was to park. I go back to to my car and he proceeds to back into me (this is not good). I go back to the this person and describe what he has done to my car and ask for his insurance information. He can't find it but hands me his drivers license. I say thank you very much and take it and depart. Down the road I get the pictures of the car/plates/drivers license but depart with the guys DL. My question is should I give it back? What would you do? Meanwhile I am spending hours getting repair bids and dealing with the issues.
Sorry to hear of your problem, it does truly suck how people behave.
I can share a similar fate;
I was side swiped a few months ago, guy just cut in front of me because, why not, he's in a truck and I'm in a Porsche (you know the story), he takes out me rear quarter, I flag him over, he does a "runner" (flash back to the he's in a truck, I'm in a Porsche...) so I'm following him now on the Interstate, on the phone with the cops (hands free...), gaive them details, license plate description etc. they say there are no cops nearby, I say I'm following then, they say no do not follow, pull over and wait for cops...
So, I do, 4 hrs later they take a statement, do not note the info of other party on the report and leave.
I get my car repaired, pay the deductible and ask the insurance to get it back from the other guy.
They take it to arbitration, I loose and thats it, no further action to be taken....
That lot took about 6 months.
Hit and run is legal, permitted and sanctioned, so, here we are in the society we fought for (that comment applies to the people that really did 😕 ) and we follow the rules of a modern society, yet.... here we are.

Sorry again wwahl, hope the damage isn't too bad, best you can do (IMHO) is just keep going.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
The perp's address is on his DL. Maybe I'll stick into an envelope and let the USPS give it back to him.
Not that this matters but you do not need to stick it in an envelope, it will be deliverd for free. Sorry about this whole stupid event.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts