Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the Costco handicapped lot waiting for a spot. Guy whizzes past me to take the spot I am waiting for. I go up and have a conversation about his move and suggest that he remove himself from where I was to park. I go back to to my car and he proceeds to back into me (this is not good). I go back to the this person and describe what he has done to my car and ask for his insurance information. He can't find it but hands me his drivers license. I say thank you very much and take it and depart. Down the road I get the pictures of the car/plates/drivers license but depart with the guys DL. My question is should I give it back? What would you do? Meanwhile I am spending hours getting repair bids and dealing with the issues.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I am in the Costco handicapped lot waiting for a spot. Guy whizzes past me to take the spot I am waiting for. I go up and have a conversation about his move and suggest that he remove himself from where I was to park. I go back to to my car and he proceeds to back into me (this is not good). I go back to the this person and describe what he has done to my car and ask for his insurance information. He can't find it but hands me his drivers license. I say thank you very much and take it and depart. Down the road I get the pictures of the car/plates/drivers license but depart with the guys DL. My question is should I give it back? What would you do? Meanwhile I am spending hours getting repair bids and dealing with the issues.
You needed to call the police on the scene . Leaving the scene of an accident is the biggest mistake anyone can ever do . I don't care how minor, how nice the person is , or even if he pulls out cash to pay on the spot. By leaving he could even claim a hit and run . More likely this will end up an out pf pocket expense for you and a claim to your insurance company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. As you have his DL, I believe you need to get the police involved and explain to them what happened. Hopefully you can find the guy and get his insurance info (only with the help do the police).
E

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Usually anything that happens on Private property is your own to fix ...Thats to bad sorry to hear about your accident .

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
"I am in the Costco handicapped lot waiting for a spot. Guy whizzes past me to take the spot I am waiting for." Sorry but this has happened to me too many times. When I was in my late teens I would do exactly what you did. Now, no way. If the guy is stupid enough to cut me off to take the spot he is stupid enough for me to waste my time with a conversation. I simply let it go and go find a spot as far as I can from the idiot. Sorry to hear about your accident. Pictures? Hope nothing too bad.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You need to get a dash cam. I have front and rear cameras for this very situation. Also many motorists are on their best behavior when they see the cameras. Also I would call your local PD and explain the situation that had occurred, to avoid any hit and run accusations from the other driver. Get out in front of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
BTW, my two favorite stores to shop for groceries are Costco and Trader Joes. However, both stores are the strongest magnets for the worst drivers in America. Seriously, I never been so scared to drive like when I got to those two places. Thus, my strategy is that as soon as I get into the parking lot entrance I immediately look for a parking spot. Cons: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. Pros: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. 😃 I know this won't help if you are going for the handicapped spot but I avoid driving around those parking lots like the plague.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ugh; sorry to hear this. Kirkland warehouse? Keep the license for leverage, call the cops, and get dashcams as they are cheap insurance. Hopefully the other person does the right thing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Several issues here:
1-Accidents in a private parking lot like Costco are not committed on public streets or roadways, so police do not get involved or investigate.
2-Leaving with the driver's license can be considered petty theft or misappropriation of another's property, at least it is in California.
3-Without exchanging information, like cell phone number or other contact information, you are now in a position where you have to find this person to try to resolve the issue. Most people prefer not to report it to insurance companies because of deductibles and chance of increased premiums. Unless you somehow get a hold of this person, you might have to go through your insurance and pass on the other driver's license information and they could investigate the other driver, etc.
Good luck with this, keep us posted as to how this works out!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am sorry this happened to you. There are a lot of inconsiderate drivers on the road. I would place a call to the local PD to let them know what happened and that you accidentally drove off with the other parties DL. Tell them you do not expect them to take an actual report due to the private property situation, but wanted to at least call and let them know what happened. Then I would copy the DL of the other party and deliver it to him or put it in the mail to him at the address on the DL. I would also alert your insurance company to the incident and then you can decide if you will pay for the damage personally or run it through insurance. Hopefully it is minor damage. Good luck. Michael

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wwahl, you should have known better. Last accident I had was with less than 4,000 miles on my new (back then) Macan. I had the guy get in my car and I called HIS insurance company. We introduced ourselves on the Macan's and had him admit fault right there. Case closed. Never call yours. Always call theirs. This keeps your insurance company* out of it cause you're dealing with only his insurance company.

*- It turned out we both had Geico. Made it easy.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wwahl, you should have known better. Last accident I had was with less than 4,000 miles on my new (back then) Macan. I had the guy get in my car and I called HIS insurance company. We introduced ourselves on the Macan's and had him admit fault right there. Case closed. Never call yours. Always call theirs. This keeps your insurance company* out of it cause you're dealing with only his insurance company.

*- It turned out we both had Geico. Made it easy.
He didn't have insurance papers. That's why I kept his DL. The guy was shaking like a leaf. He never should have been behind a wheel. He is a couple of years older than I am, but centuries older in health.

·
Registered
267 Posts
wwahl - Sorry to hear about the accident. That really sucks. Hopefully the DL you have is indeed the driver's. I wouldn't be in any hurry to mail back his license. Based on how you described this guy, If he wants it back bad enough then he can go get a new one.

Best of luck with the repair.

BTW, my two favorite stores to shop for groceries are Costco and Trader Joes. However, both stores are the strongest magnets for the worst drivers in America. Seriously, I never been so scared to drive like when I got to those two places. Thus, my strategy is that as soon as I get into the parking lot entrance I immediately look for a parking spot. Cons: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. Pros: it is the farthest spot from the store entrance. 😃 I know this won't help if you are going for the handicapped spot but I avoid driving around those parking lots like the plague.
Costco is pretty much the ONLY retail store I go to nowadays and I'm in my 30's. If I'm going to shop for something, I just assume do it online. Wife does the grocery store runs and I enjoy getting some of the most random stuff in crazy bulk at Costco. We live about a mile from the closest Costco, so it's common that I just run there for 1 item but end up leaving with a $300 receipt...LOL. I don't know if all Costco's are like this, but the ones around here have larger parking spaces. I'm typically the guy that parks in the back whenever we go out, but at Costco I'll park wherever because the spaces are 12-18"wider. Avoid the peak times, if possible, and it's really not that bad.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The guy was shaking like a leaf. He never should have been behind a wheel. He is a couple of years older than I am, but centuries older in health.
🤣🤣🤣 Total Savagery! When I was speaking to my body shop owner when I got into a fender bender with my old F25 X3, he stated that once you hit a specific geriatric age, insurance companies will look for any reason to void the vehicle insurance policy and claim the individual uninsurable, therefore, most older folks will pay out of pocket if they are at fault, or just ignore the damage if they are the victims of an accident.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
wwahl - Sorry to hear about the accident. That really sucks. Hopefully the DL you have is indeed the driver's. I wouldn't be in any hurry to mail back his license. Based on how you described this guy, If he wants it back bad enough then he can go get a new one.

Best of luck with the repair.

Costco is pretty much the ONLY retail store I go to nowadays and I'm in my 30's. If I'm going to shop for something, I just assume do it online. Wife does the grocery store runs and I enjoy getting some of the most random stuff in crazy bulk at Costco. We live about a mile from the closest Costco, so it's common that I just run there for 1 item but end up leaving with a $300 receipt...LOL. I don't know if all Costco's are like this, but the ones around here have larger parking spaces. I'm typically the guy that parks in the back whenever we go out, but at Costco I'll park wherever because the spaces are 12-18"wider. Avoid the peak times, if possible, and it's really not that bad.
I could walk to my local Costco (less than 1 mile) if I didn’t have to carry all the boxes back home. Yes, they have gigantic parking spaces BUT for you to get to a parking space you have to drive through the parking lot and there is where the danger resides. People with monster carts not paying attention where they go, people backing up their cars like they are inside their garage, other driving like maniacs,... Thus, I park as soon as I enter so I can drive the minimum possible in the parking lot. BTW, if you go on Saturday around 11am the chances of an accident grow exponentially. And like you, I go there to buy a gallon of milk since it is closer than any other grocery store but I also cannot leave the place without spending $300.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
He didn't have insurance papers. That's why I kept his DL. The guy was shaking like a leaf. He never should have been behind a wheel. He is a couple of years older than I am, but centuries older in health.
When I was 17 I hit a puddle and stalled out . I sat there with my high school girlfriend trying to start the car . We put on the emergency flashers. Then a car comes flying down the same street , hits the same puddle , loses his brakes , and rear ends me . His car was could not be driven. When I got out to see if he was ok he had with him his wife and baby . The baby was crying and his wife was shaken up . They told me they were ok . There were no cell phones in 1977 but I said lets call the police from a pay phone. He expressed that all he needed was a ride home so his wife and baby can relax and that he lived near (I didn't live near) and we could call from his house . I was kid and so was my girlfriend . We obliged . When we got to his apartment he confessed to me that he had no license and no paperwork but promised to pay me and wrote his name and address on a paper. I must have written him about 10 letters before I gave up. I never saw a cent or heard from him .

I consider that lucky . In todays society and as an adult it is mandatory to document an accident with the police . This is especially true when driving a Porsche . We live in world where some people make a full time job out of taking money when they see it and Porsche waves a huge flag . He backed into you but with front end damage on your car he could attempt to claim hit and run . He could claim injury too. A simple police report solves EVERYTHING.

The most you will pay is your deductible . It's a lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts