Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Our brand new 2020 Macan S had an incident at a full service car wash. At the beginning of the wash track a 4x4 pickup rolled back off the track and into the Macan's hood tearing the PPF in two places and making a small dent. The car wash has accepted responsibility and the owner has been great to work with so far and is covering all costs. I was hoping PDR would be the answer as I really wanted to avoid paint work, but three excellent PDR technicians have said it's not possible due to the dent's location on the leading edge of the hood (they have tried to repair and did not charge since they were not successful). I am planning on having the dent repaired at our local Porsche Certified Bodyshop, then after about 6-8 weeks having the PPF reinstalled once the paint and clear coat have cured. As far as I see it, there are pros and cons to either leaving the dent and just rewrapping with PPF or having the dent repaired at the bodyshop.

Pros of bodyshop repair:
  • Dent is gone
  • Shouldn't have future paint issues (ie risk of cracking, chipping if dent not repaired)
  • Hood removed from vehicle (to keep vehicle out of paint booth)
  • Porsche certified shop with great reviews
Cons of bodyshop repair:
  • No longer original factory paint or clear coat
  • Will probably show up on CARFAX even though it is so minor--like a door ding; will impact pool of buyers/diminished value
  • Hood removed from vehicle (to keep vehicle out of paint booth)
Pros of leaving the dent:
  • Factory paint and clear coat stays intact
  • No CARFAX flag
  • Maybe someone notices the dent, maybe not. Most people can't see it and the PPF tear is more obvious at this point. I can see it at certain angles and of course I know it's there...
Cons of leaving the dent:
  • I know it's there and it will bug me (especially since it was not my fault--but will non-factory paintwork bug me more?...)
  • May be more noticeable once PPF replaced
  • Diminshed value (small I know) and would want some compensation from the car wash (total repair bodyshop portion estimate (w/o PPF) is around $1,400)
  • Potential for paint issues down the road? (cracking, chipping)
  • There is a slight possibility there is another small dent where the other tear is
Again, after much contemplation the plan is to have it repaired at the bodyshop, but I thought I'd check with fellow members for other perspectives in case there is something I'm missing. Here are a couple photos--it's very hard to capture the dent in pics.

We are loving our Macan--it's a blast to drive!!
Thanks! stkr
IMG_5335.JPG IMG_5342.JPG

·
Registered
372 Posts
very sorry to read. yes it is in a bad spot. how you fix it is your call. honestly the mistake was taking it to a car wash in the first place. I will never take my Macan to a care wash. I don't like swirl marks on my paint and I have never been 100% satisfied with any car wash and you still have to tip them regardless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No way would I accept the "Cons of body shop repair" you correctly noted above for that little mark. I'd live with it and do my best to let it be the only one of its kind after 5 years.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I would leave it alone and consider it part of the car's patina.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Seal her up with color-match touch up paint and get on with life. It’s not worth your time, money, and effort for such a small dent/chip.

I’m as OCD as they come and I can promise you, hit it with an elegant touch up paint and 99.5% of the rest of the population will never even know it’s there.

Plus it’ll make the next rock chip that much more bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
If the paint is chipped there, as noted above, simply apply a bit of touch-up paint and replace
the PPF - otherwise just have the PPF replaced.

It's a minuscule ding!

Yes - you may know it's there and almost nobody else will notice it. It's one of those cases where
you'll get it repaired and then some truck will throw a stone and make a chip/dent in your hood.
You won't know which truck threw the stone and you'll have a bigger issue next time.

One small ding is kind of like a form of insurance. Having a car that's too perfect is almost an invitation
to fate...

😉

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Touch the paint using Dr Color Chip and let it go. I am OCD and would get really mad but having the entire hood painted could bring you way more problems than just that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bodyshop repair and any person who comes to see the car just point out where the dent was and show before repair photos. In fact I would get this and any other dents fixed together every 2 years.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Why do you think The Porsche approved body shot cannot perfectly match your NEW paint? It s/b very easy for them since the car is new.
If the car was 10 year old, not garaged, it is much more difficult. You s/b able to get it properly repaired so you cannot tell it was ever damaged.

Are you sure it will be reported to Carfax?

Did you have plans to sell or trade at a specific time?

I'd get it fixed especially since the car wash says they will do the right thing & pay for it.

If you cannot avoid the reporting to CarFax, document everything to show the prospective buyer.

BTW, stay out of car washes!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
That bites, but it looks more like a rock chip to me. I'd get some touch up paint & reapply the PPF. I wouldn't mess with redoing the whole hood, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your replies so far! You all have me rethinking things again...

I should clarify-there is no paint chip. What looks like a chip in the photos is the PPF tear. The PPF probably did its job as far as protecting the paint.

To reply to some of your comments/questions:

- I do have confidence the shop will do it correctly. They're a high end top-notch shop.

- Since the carwash is paying for it I need to repair sooner vs later. (If it were my fault I would leave it and rewrap but since I didn't cause the damage it needs to be made right)

- Not 100% sure about CARFAX reporting--from what I've learned and heard the systems are linked to automatically update CARFAX. I will document the area of concern for future sale just in case (no planned timeline of selling or trading).

- As far as carwashes--I'm comfortable using them for the Macan. In our winter climate it's really unavoidable. However, my winter-stored 911 does not go through the carwash!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
First, get an estimate from a body shop so you get some money from the car wash.

Second, leave the dent alone for now and re-wrap, then keep your eyes open on eBay or other used parts web sites for a replacement hood....possibly even in your Macan's color, swap hoods.

Finally, put the dented hood up for sale on eBay and/or Craig's List.

·
Registered
31 Posts
- Not 100% sure about CARFAX reporting--from what I've learned and heard the systems are linked to automatically update CARFAX. I will document the area of concern for future sale just in case (no planned timeline of selling or trading).
just a note of personal experience: got rear-ended which put a sizable dent in the trunk and bumper of my prior Macan. Replaced the bumper + trunk and repainted and none of that hit Carfax. Came back completely clean.

that said, that blemish IMO really looks not worth a removal and repaint. I'm with you on car washes in the winter, like anything, there is always some risk but you gotta do what you need to do..

·
Registered
45 Posts
IMO Carfax reports are not always accurate. You cannot tell if or when it will be reported. I bought a 2015 two years ago with a clean carfax. Just traded for a new Macan and guess what? Carfax showed minor rear end damage. It showed Up on the report 2 years after it happened. So it really effected my trade in value. so I guess I’m saying it will show on the reports, maybe not tomorrow, but it will eventually show up. You will loose lots of value and turn off perspective buyers. Small ding on front of hood probably won’t effect anything. I would just replace PPF And call it a day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You may be surprised what a good PDR guy can do with it, albeit with touch up paint at the end. I would get a quote and a percentage estimate of how good a job he thinks he can achieve. But whatever you do, don't do what I did.. In a lax moment while at a dealer I ordered touch up paint with clear coat, $56 + Tax! From Suncoast it is more than $20 cheaper.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts