Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2020 S for about 9 months now. Came from an S4. Not sure how to describe this properly but essentially I find (have always found) the vehicle sluggish when driving around town in normal mode. I feel that the transmission shifts down too quickly. Things change with S and S+ obviously. Is this something that can be adjusted....?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
43 Posts
Normal is largely there to help Porsche meet mpg/emissions standards, (or, prior emissions standards...), as is auto stop/start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking about it more I think it is actually throttle response that is bothering me and which seems more sluggish than the S4. I will look into Pedal Commander. Never heard of that before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thinking about it more I think it is actually throttle response that is bothering me and which seems more sluggish than the S4. I will look into Pedal Commander. Never heard of that before.
Oh yeah, just buy one. It'll fix you up.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I only drive my Macan in normal mode until it warms up enough and after that is either Sport or Sport+. HOwever, on heavy traffic or low speed streets Sport mode becomes too much as the car runs on 1st gear at high RPM which is annoying and unnecessary. Thus, the car has 3 modes that can be used for different needs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I sold mine on here, personally it rocked but I couldn’t find a sweet spot I liked. But I’m in the minority. It works as advertised and is an awesome piece of kit. Under the steering wheel there’s a small almost shelf, I just shoved the control head and wires in there. I could easily reach in and pull it out to make changes. Never mounted it but other folks have. There’s a big thread on here about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OP, I highly doubt what your are experiencing is throttle response. IMO you did answer your own question in the original post. Normal mode is tuned to give the best fuel economy, therefore the car upshifts through to the 6th gear as fast as possible on light throttle input. As long as the car stays in the 6th gear (in low speeds) and you try giving it light throttle input, it will feel sluggish. Any other car would be sluggish as well to some extent.

I suggest you try pushing the gas pedal a little further, enough to cause a downshift to lower gears.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd tooled around with a friend who had a Turbo. I test drove the S and it just wasn't the same - seemed sluggish in comparison - ended up getting the Turbo. In the Macan, if you want to feel juice in normal mode, opt for the Turbo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed a Cobb stage 1 93 tune. Got rid of most of the lag. No lag in sport mode 2016 S. If I max perform the car (paddle shift) in sport mode, I can smell the clutch. So I think I’m at max HP for the tranny. Never tried the pedal commander.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just hit the Sport button and don't look back. Normal is an EPA mode. Every car with a sport button behaves the same way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts