Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Siri works unreliably when activated by the voice stalk (compared to "Hey Siri")

My GTS Nav/Connect+, but without QH1 (Voice Control).

That means I can't use Voice Control to control various functionality of PCM. And somehow it didn't let me use the voice stalk button to long hold to activate Siri. But with a recent update of PCM SW (K3300), while I still don't have PCM VC, I can now activate Siri using the voice stalk!

Unfortunately the excitement didn't last long as I noticed very strange behavior with how Siri works differently depending on how it's started.

Siri works much, much more unreliably compared to when Siri is activated by "Hey Siri". When Siri is invoked by the voice button on the stalk, Siri opens up and goes into "listening mode". The problem is it stays there forever and keep listening. I can see that it's actively listening to my voice because I see the waveform changes while I speak. It does sometime process my command, but it just sits in the listening mode for the most of time. Siri works normal when I start Siri with "Hey Siri".

I know it is my phone because when I long hold the voice button on my XC90, it works flawlessly.

Has anyone with Connect+ seen this issue?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
If it's like our 2 series BMW, you can force it out of listening mode by pressing the button again.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
My GTS Nav/Connect+, but without QH1 (Voice Control).

That means I can't use Voice Control to control various functionality of PCM. And somehow it didn't let me use the voice stalk button to long hold to activate Siri. But with a recent update of PCM SW (K3300), while I still don't have PCM VC, I can now activate Siri using the voice stalk!

Unfortunately the excitement didn't last long as I noticed very strange behavior with how Siri works differently depending on how it's started.

Siri works much, much more unreliably compared to when Siri is activated by "Hey Siri". When Siri is invoked by the voice button on the stalk, Siri opens up and goes into "listening mode". The problem is it stays there forever and keep listening. I can see that it's actively listening to my voice because I see the waveform changes while I speak. It does sometime process my command, but it just sits in the listening mode for the most of time. Siri works normal when I start Siri with "Hey Siri".

I know it is my phone because when I long hold the voice button on my XC90, it works flawlessly.

Has anyone with Connect+ seen this issue?
I didn't order nor have Connect+, only Apple Carplay and the stalk button works flawlessly to invoke and use Siri. Weird.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't order nor have Connect+, only Apple Carplay and the stalk button works flawlessly to invoke and use Siri. Weird.
Ah, so it looks like it's just me (again). I have iPhone 6s running 10.3.1 (10.3 had the same issue). Do you mind sharing what iPhone generation you're using?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Ah, so it looks like it's just me (again). I have iPhone 6s running 10.3.1 (10.3 had the same issue). Do you mind sharing what iPhone generation you're using?
I have an iPhone SE running 10.3.1, which I connect to the armrest USB port.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a MY '17, but without VC. We did not know about NC option, and because no QH1 I don't have the turn stalk with the push button. Why do you have the push button without QH1 and I don't? I have navigation, but no vc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a MY '17, but without VC. We did not know about NC option, and because no QH1 I don't have the turn stalk with the push button. Why do you have the push button without QH1 and I don't? I have navigation, but no vc.
I believe you get the voice button on the stalk if you have either
1. Connect+
2. CarPlay (whether you have VC or not)
3. Voice Control (QH1)

You probably didn't get the voice button because you only ordered Navigation. If you ordered Navigation/Connect+, you would have got the voice button though you can't use it for PCM Voice Control, but you would be still able to use that button to activate Siri after the latest PCM upgrade.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an iPhone SE running 10.3.1, which I connect to the armrest USB port.
I wish I could try my iPhone on your car and see how it works. :) (I live in the Bay Area as well)

On my other car that has CarPlay (XC90), the voice button also works flawlessly with my phone, but it still doesn't prove whether this problem is due to my phone or my GTS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I have no navigation, but have Connect / Apple CarPlay in my 2017 Macan GTS. It has the control stalk button. When I press it in CarPlay, it kicks out of CarPlay. Dealer says normal since I do not have Voice Control. I say PITA as it should activate Siri per the manual and it kicks me completely out of CarPlay.

See video following:
New video by J M

Does it work like this for anyone else? 2017 Macan, Connect option (IU2), No Navigation, No Voice Module. Surely it shouldn't kick you out of CarPlay? It's done it since new and I've complained to the dealer every time I've had it in for service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts