Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The performance shop I had install my flat 6 markers ended up doing this to the drivers side. They said they would cover the labor and told me the dealer could match the paint to my VIN.

I think this is very uncommon for something like this to happen and they attributed this to the way the clips come out when pulling the stock ones out.

Will this be an easy fix? And how would you go about resolving the issue?

Had the car for less than 2 months. The thing that pisses me off is that the installer had to have noticed and it took for me to point it out.

Rectangle Eyewear Gadget Musical instrument accessory Cable

Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget Eyewear Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
The performance shop I had install my flat 6 markers ended up doing this to the drivers side. They said they would cover the labor and told me the dealer could match the paint to my VIN.

I think this is very uncommon for something like this to happen and they attributed this to the way the clips come out when pulling the stock ones out.

Had the car for less than 2 months. The thing that pisses me off is that the installer had to have noticed and it took for me to point it out.

View attachment 260202

View attachment 260204
View attachment 260203
That is plain rude. Next time please do it yourself as you have immense feelings for your own car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It’s an easy fix…granted they don’t chew up even more the 2nd go around to remove the markers.

i just did this and it took 15 min both sides. The only real tension is that initial peel back of the splashguard. The markers themselves pop out easily and the tension on the clip is from the inside of the bumper for the initial release.

·
Registered
2021 Macan
202 Posts
Wondering why this is even called a performance shop... looks like a butcher did this. Why are people performing such horrible work even allowed to hold any job?
Labor is in short supply regardless of the industry. Staff is trained to do the job, and expect that most owners may not even notice such sloppy work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks like they used a screw driver and not a plastic trim removal tool
Agreed. And they clearly didn't read the install instructions, nor understand Porsche provides a release inside the wheel well. No need for prying.

@nlalwani - When everything gets painted, be sure and check things from various angles and in various lights. I had to have my wife's 2019 White Cayenne's front bumper painted after someone backed into her car in a parking lot. We had to take it back to the Porsche certified/Dealer owned paint shop TWICE to get the color to match. It was most obvious in late afternoon sunlight.

Be aware that the thickness of the paint will be different, and this will be picked up by many dealers/buyers who will assume your car was in a wreck (pictures or not). Depending on who does the paint work, this might show up on the stupid CarFax report. Be sure that it doesn't (talk to the people fixing the paint).

Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
@nlalwani Correct way is to remove them from the inside out. Remove or partially remove fender liners depress clips from inside. These guys did a hack job on your car and to repair I see no way possible as the area os now deformed. If it were me NEW bumper and paint to match for the car to be brought back to new condition. By the way stay away from that shop.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agreed. And they clearly didn't read the install instructions, nor understand Porsche provides a release inside the wheel well. No need for prying.

@nlalwani - When everything gets painted, be sure and check things from various angles and in various lights. I had to have my wife's 2019 White Cayenne's front bumper painted after someone backed into her car in a parking lot. We had to take it back to the Porsche certified/Dealer owned paint shop TWICE to get the color to match. It was most obvious in late afternoon sunlight.

Be aware that the thickness of the paint will be different, and this will be picked up by many dealers/buyers who will assume your car was in a wreck (pictures or not). Depending on who does the paint work, this might show up on the stupid CarFax report. Be sure that it doesn't (talk to the people fixing the paint).

Sorry.
paint thickness can be corrected if they clear coat the entire bumper. that is on the bumper right?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

Sorry.
You make a big point! Who’s doing the painting?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Take it to a body shop of your choosing and have it done correctly. Bumper removed, completely refinished (not spotted in) and re-installed. If the shop does not cover the complete bill take them to Small Claims Court. Monkeys could do a better job installing that light.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

View attachment 260202

View attachment 260204
View attachment 260203
It looks like they used a screwdriver or something similar to pry the side marker out. The markers should be pushed from the inside, by removing part of the fender well cover. It seems they chose the easy route for them... Very bad job. Hope they can get it fixed for you soon.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Whomever installed those was an absolute barbarian who made a 5 minute task a 20 minute one not including whatever it will take to repair that damage.

As for paint thickness readings, it requires a different tool to measure plastic surfaces than it does to measure metal ones. I highly doubt anyone will switch tools to measure plastic bumpers so you have that in your favor at least.

·
Registered
162 Posts

View attachment 260202

View attachment 260204
View attachment 260203
This is stupid!! The person installing was not qualified to do the job! I'm almost 80 years old and I installed my clear Flat 6 side markers in about 20 minutes time total. Three screws on each side, push the release spring Change the bulb that comes with the kit and snap back in place! You need to stay away from the dealer or shop that did this!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clear example of brute force. What’s the name of the performance butcher shop? So people stay away from it.

Don’t trust them and take it to a body shop of your choosing. This could be fix with heat.
yes, should have learned my lesson the first time after we had an issue with my exhaust install and they said it was a fitment issue with the parts. It took for this to happen to finally catch on that these guys are incompetent to be working on my Macan.

Can you elaborate more on the fixing with heat comment?

·
Registered
2015 S, 1987 911-Sold
419 Posts
yes, should have learned my lesson the first time after we had an issue with my exhaust install and they said it was a fitment issue with the parts. It took for this to happen to finally catch on that these guys are incompetent to be working on my Macan.

Can you elaborate more on the fixing with heat comment?
Bumpers are normally made of polycarbonates, so heat makes them pliable. The damage seems small enough that a steady hand can mold it back while maintaining heat around the opening.

However, the performance shop damage it and the person installing was obviously not aware of the "how to". IMO, let a body shop take care of this one.

OP, good luck and I hope you receive proper compensation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts