Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not to be a jerk, but basically all of this mental anguish is over the opportunity of getting an even newer 2021 model and paying a $4,000 premium? Sorry, but the 4 year service for your 2017 is on you, can't pin that on Porsche over the 2020 deal falling though. They can only make so many Macans a year, less so due to a pandemic and all the supplier issues I'm sure they had to contend with.

1st world problem for sure....personally, if you can wait the additional time for a Porsche equipped exactly the way you want it, go with the MY2021 and call it a day.
Thanks @Masscan, but to be clear the 2020 was more what I was looking for. The 2021 forces me to accept options that have no value to me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now I understand and am empathetic, meaning, been there done that.

Thanks @grim, I appreciate your empathy and the examples you provided. Helps to keep my level of disappointment in check to know I’m not alone.

And I must point out I’m not so much upset with Porsche, but rather disappointed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
RJE,
Ordering a special order car is not an easy task by any means. If you order a paint to sample car it is delayed an additional 2 month minimum. The color and interior has to be approved to make sure it is up to Porsche's standard. We are also in COVID. this is effecting sourcing raw material and production. My Car was additionally delayed as the went on a holiday prior to completion.
The waiting period was very stressful for me the entire time as I am generally impatient and want the reward right away. Once the completion was done it was fun and entertaining to track it on vessel tracker.
Does Porsche owe you anything. I would think not but that is a matter of opinion. Each dealer also has so many built slots and once those are gone they are gone as well. In a perfect world I wanted a 2019 GTS but I had to settle with a 2018 GTS and get in October like the year was already over. Was I unhappy yes but I was able to get a GTS then and not have to wait till 2020. End of day everything was worth it to me and I am happy with the discount offered and the way the dealership had handled everything. If you are truly unhappy you can go to a different dealer or just buy a different brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I’ll echo what most people have already said - I believe you need to take this up with the dealer re increased cost and lack of discount, not Porsche itself.

Also the newer model may have updated headlights, Apple CarPlay and LKA - which might not be things you want, but you are getting something for that additional $2000 along with better resale, etc.

I can see why dealer does not want to give you a discount on a brand new MY car. For those of you outside of Canada, getting a 2-3% discount (at least in Ontario) is pretty good and doesn’t always happen.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks @Masscan, but to be clear the 2020 was more what I was looking for. The 2021 forces me to accept options that have no value to me.
I thought you were ordering the vehicles where you would receive a Macan with the exact options you want....if available at the time.

Oh, I get it now....you're from Canada where standard options are different....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
RJE,
Ordering a special order car is not an easy task by any means. If you order a paint to sample car it is delayed an additional 2 month minimum. The color and interior has to be approved to make sure it is up to Porsche's standard. We are also in COVID. this is effecting sourcing raw material and production. My Car was additionally delayed as the went on a holiday prior to completion.
The waiting period was very stressful for me the entire time as I am generally impatient and want the reward right away. Once the completion was done it was fun and entertaining to track it on vessel tracker.
Does Porsche owe you anything. I would think not but that is a matter of opinion. Each dealer also has so many built slots and once those are gone they are gone as well. In a perfect world I wanted a 2019 GTS but I had to settle with a 2018 GTS and get in October like the year was already over. Was I unhappy yes but I was able to get a GTS then and not have to wait till 2020. End of day everything was worth it to me and I am happy with the discount offered and the way the dealership had handled everything. If you are truly unhappy you can go to a different dealer or just buy a different brand.
Thanks @wishntoboutside. My last 3 vehicles have been special ordered. This will be the 4th. I’m spoiled that way as I get what I want; but like you patience is not my strongest virtue!

My COVID delay is only a couple of months (and then only due to interior availability). You guys have my sympathy that had to endure an additional wait due the shutdown at the factory.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think I’ll echo what most people have already said - I believe you need to take this up with the dealer re increased cost and lack of discount, not Porsche itself.

Also the newer model may have updated headlights, Apple CarPlay and LKA - which might not be things you want, but you are getting something for that additional $2000 along with better resale, etc.

I can see why dealer does not want to give you a discount on a brand new MY car. For those of you outside of Canada, getting a 2-3% discount (at least in Ontario) is pretty good and doesn’t always happen.
Thanks @dk3what. I’m seeing the same thing on discounts out west here. I console myself on the lower discount rate here in that Pcars are way cheaper here in Canada.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I thought you were ordering the vehicles where you would receive a Macan with the exact options you want....if available at the time.

Oh, I get it now....you're from Canada where standard options are different....
Indeed, I am ordering what I want. The packaging is such that there are a couple of items I have to take in the premium package on the 2021 that I did not want. I would have rather kept the money in my jeans, rather than Porsche’s. Yes, the residual might be higher in resale, but I still have to pay for depreciation. 1st world problem so I can’t complain too much in reality.

And yes, standard options are slightly different here than the US here. I also checked out the UK configurator and things are WAY different on that side of the pond.

·
Registered
430 Posts
And yes, standard options are slightly different here than the US here.
FWIW, I originally started out ordering a 2020 (U.S.) but it was changed to a 2021. For the exact same options, which included the expanded Premium Package Plus, the one year newer model year's added cost was just $70 - clearly worth it considering it's a model year newer. A good example of "YMMV" with the only negative for me is that I'll have to wait another couple of months till delivery.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
FWIW, I originally started out ordering a 2020 (U.S.) but it was changed to a 2021. For the exact same options, which included the expanded Premium Package Plus, the one year newer model year's added cost was just $70 - clearly worth it considering it's a model year newer. A good example of "YMMV" with the only negative for me is that I'll have to wait another couple of months till delivery.
@JRB, well done! $70 for the options you want in a one year newer body sounds pretty darn good to me (except for the extra wait, of course, with which I can empathize). Hopefully neither of us wind up bazooey at the other end of the wait!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with others that PCNA is not a part of the equation here. The dealership is where you will need to get some action. They already ate the $4K on your old Macan so that is a big first step, now you can work on a purchase discount.
But let's be honest, Porsche products are expensive. I have owned about 10 of them now since 1973 and the way they price their options really burns me up. I always say that's the last Porsche I will buy and then I end up with another one..... the difference is now I no longer buy new- I shop for a CPO car and let the first buyer take the big hit. Keeps me in the game.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the difference is now I no longer buy new- I shop for a CPO car and let the first buyer take the big hit.
Used is great. CPO not so much. The dealers try and mark up a $2500 warranty into a price increase of $5000-$10,000, and the CPO inspections are often a joke.

Better to get your own PPI as well as a longer extended warranty from a reputable third-party warranty company for less cost.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
22 Posts
Not all CPO deals are the same. My '19 S had 6k miles, the options I wanted and is warrantied for another 5+ years. The final price was very competitive. I shopped the entire country online and had the vehicle shipped to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Not all CPO deals are the same. My '19 S had 6k miles, the options I wanted and is warrantied for another 5+ years. The final price was very competitive. I shopped the entire country online and had the vehicle shipped to me.
Don't think anyone is suggesting it's impossible to get a decent CPO deal.

I definitely did, and it all worked out. But knowing what I do now, it's unlikely I would again, and certainly not without a PPI. Too many CPO buyers here on the forum reporting problems that should or would have been uncovered with a proper CPO inspection.

Pretty clear the dealer never inspected my car. Did you have an independent PPI done?

As others have pointed out, many dealers are asking absurd prices for CPO cars. Of course if you can negotiate a reasonable price that's a different situation, but some dealers think a CPO increases the value of the car by many more times what they paid PCNA for the warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
22 Posts
Mine was a loaner/demo vehicle. That is what I was looking for. I agree that ones that are previously owned and titled are regularly marked up for CPO status.

I did not have an independent inspection done. Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
So you lease the car, meaning $4k increase is like $50 more a month in payments? The dealership offering 4 year maintenance included in my opinion is more than enough to cover that added expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So you lease the car, meaning $4k increase is like $50 more a month in payments? The dealership offering 4 year maintenance included in my opinion is more than enough to cover that added expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 year maintenance not included. They did offer to include the year 4 maintenance on our 2017 GTS. This would not have been needed with the earlier delivery on the 2020, but will be on the 2021.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wanted to thank everyone who provided me with their thoughts. The various opinions were very much appreciated. Even though I still might not agree with everyone, all comments helped to shape my going forward approach.

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thought I would provide an update for all those that were kind enough to offer me their thoughts on my situation.

I called Porsche today and had a chat with one of their customer service people. I went into the discussion not expecting anything other than a terse discussion while I vented as politely as I could. Didn’t happen that way. The fellow was respectful and understanding of my situation from the get go. The chat was friendly throughout, and he wound up making an offer that was unexpected and appreciated.

I wound up happy with the result. Porsche exceeded my expectations and restored my faith in the brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t see how the dealer wronged you. At the root was your decision to wait for the interior you wanted and hence the dealer just worked with that. You did not like the result but no fault of Porsche. Could they have been a bit more compromising. Yes but I guess they are selling those cars anyway and are not hurting too much. So they decided to play it by their rules. I know why I drive a Porsche and I would compromise to get one.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts