Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on my “diary” thread but I’m guessing pretty much nobody reads it but me (good choice out there!) as I received no replies. I thought I’d start a new thread to see if I can get some feedback and advice from the vast knowledge base that is this forum. Here is what I had posted :

Should I be disappointed, or should I suck it up? Down payment made on the 2020, and was 2 days from lock when Porsche came back and said the agate interior was not available . It is now available
for the 2021’s. (See previous posts on this thread).

With the 2020 not available, I’ve had to go with a 2021. Difference all in will be about $6k. $2k (including tax) for the 4 year service on the 2017 which I would have missed with the 2020 being here in time. $2k is the cost increase for 2020 versus 2021. And $2k less of a discount. (All $ are CDN).

I thought a 3 way split of the $6k would be appropriate; me, the dealership, and Porsche. The dealership has offered to cover the 2017 4 year service. I figured $2k from me would be about right considering the vehicle is a year newer. Porsche, however has refused to acknowledge the extra cost and inconvenience.

I’m a bit disappointed in Porsche.

Should I be, or am I asking too much?

Comments, thoughts, are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,094 Posts
The negotiation is between you and the dealership. Porsche is not in the business of selling cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
I posted this on my “diary” thread but I’m guessing pretty much nobody reads it but me
Where? I see nothing in the journals from you. I see a thread in the New Member Introductions. Thats supposed to be "Hi! I'am RJE. I like long walks on the beach, Pina Coladas, and am buying a new Macan. But, you got 13,000 views. Thats a LOT of views :) 13,000 times someone read that. Now you double posted but. ... OK.

Please do use the journals or diaries. They are YOUR adventure. Start one in the journals subforum.

Should I be disappointed, or should I suck it up? Down payment made on the 2020, and was 2 days from lock when Porsche came back and said the agate interior was not available . It is now available
for the 2021’s. (See previous posts on this thread).
Happens all the time. ALL the time. Normal.

With the 2020 not available, I’ve had to go with a 2021. Difference all in will be about $6k. $2k (including tax) for the 4 year service on the 2017 which I would have missed with the 2020 being here in time. $2k is the cost increase for 2020 versus 2021. And $2k less of a discount. (All $ are CDN).

I thought a 3 way split of the $6k would be appropriate; me, the dealership, and Porsche. The dealership has offered to cover the 2017 4 year service. I figured $2k from me would be about right considering the vehicle is a year newer. Porsche, however has refused to acknowledge the extra cost and inconvenience.

I’m a bit disappointed in Porsche.
$2K price increase between years? Sounds cheap. Sometimes its a lot more
$2K less discount? Makes sense. One is new, the other a year old
Not sure what you mean about 2017? Buy $2K service plan? SO don't buy it?

I'm not sure what the complaint here is. Can you explain it a bit better?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@grim, sorry I did not explain it well. I’ll try again.

Lease is up on out 2017 GTS in October. I was offered a 2020 build with early termination of current lease. Choice was 2020 or a later delivery on a 2021; I made the choice of the 2020 because it was going to wind up costing $6k less. In these COVID times that $6k was really important.

Put down payment on a specific build in late May. Was told a couple of days before lock date ( actually come to think of it was a couple of days after lock if I recall correctly) that the car as ordered could not be built as agate interior was not available. Choice was different interior colour or no 2020. 2nd choice of Expresso was also not available. For me and SWIMBO, black is a non starter as interior colour (personal preference).

So I was “stuck” with hoping the 2021’s would be available with agate interior.

A few weeks ago was informed the agate was again available. Our 2021 is on order with lock date coming quickly.

I was hoping Porsche would offer something for their inability to fulfill the order and the extra cost I was incurring due to their error in taking my order with their inability to deliver. So far it’s been nothing, not even an apology.

Dealer has been great, as they’ve been through my 3 years plus of ownership.

I do have some sympathy for Porsche (unlike they have for me) in that with COVID out there a complex supply chain is easily broken by its weakest link. And don’t get me wrong, Porsche, in the Macan, makes the best packaged SUV (or best giant hot hatch depending upon your point of view).

I guess my biggest issue is that I would NEVER treat my clients the same way that so far I have been treated, and this surprises me in Porsche.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess my biggest issue is that I would NEVER treat my clients the same way that so far I have been treated, and this surprises me in Porsche.
Whoa there. IMO you’re overreacting. PCNA has done nothing to wrong you. The dealer has gone above and beyond to eat the cost on your service. Not getting a discount is not the same as being charged more. The one place you are being charged more, the model year price increase, usually also includes additional features (I’m not up on 2021 changes)

IMO it’s on your dealer to give you any price breaks. PCNA owes you nothing. I see no reason you shouldn’t be able to get 5-8% off a 2021 from a dealer you have a relationship with.

·
Super Moderator
2,036 Posts
If you believe that Porsche is not treating you correctly, then vote with your wallet - and spend your
money elsewhere.

If I feel that some business has not treated me well, I spend my money at their competitor's after that - and
I tell my colleagues and friends about my experiences. Free advertising!

If businesses treat their customers well, word gets around and they will have more customers.

I believe the comment about Porsche not being in the business of selling cars is meant to convey that corporate is
in the business of manufacturing cars. It misses the point that if people stop buying the cars they manufacture, they,
the manufacturer, will go out of business - as they almost did a few decades ago...

As noted above, any discounts would have to come from your dealer - and they can try and work something with PCNA,
etc.

I once heard that nobody drives a Porsche because they have to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa there. IMO you’re overreacting. PCNA has done nothing to wrong you. The dealer has gone above and beyond to eat the cost on your service. Not getting a discount is not the same as being charged more. The one place you are being charged more, the model year price increase, usually also includes additional features (I’m not up on 2021 changes)

IMO it’s on your dealer to give you any price breaks. PCNA owes you nothing. I see no reason you shouldn’t be able to get 5-8% off a 2021 from a dealer you have a relationship with.
Thanks for your insight @sqweak. While I don’t necessarily agree (at least yet) that Pcars has no responsibility, I appreciate your thoughts.

The $2k increase is like-for-like 2020 to 2021, except I have no option and have to take LKA and the headlights are ever so slightly fancier, neither of which are of any value to me. Interestingly enough the 2020 cost was within spittin’ distance of my nearly identical 2017 (MSRP).

Thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your thoughts @[email protected]>@W. Apparently the sales manager had “heated words” trying to go to bat for me with Porsche, but came up empty handed.

And you are absolutely right, nobody drives a Porsche because they have to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
PCNA does not owe you the right to order the car with the specific color choices you want at the time that you want it. Just like they don’t owe you taking delivery in their vacation months, or owe you a paint to sample a lot when they aren’t filling them.

Whether it’s their fault, their suppliers, the dealer, or yours the stars didn’t align for a 2020 order to work out. Because they don’t owe you that right, they don’t owe you any compensation for not performing a promise they never made.

My point remains: your avenue for redress is with your dealer, where your relationship is. If they are not doing the right thing to match the pricing you had agreed upon, your best option is to vote with your dollars by buying elsewhere (or not at all)

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
That's quite commendable and there is a need for the professionalism that you are describing in modern business. If you recall though I did express on your first thread that when custom ordering a car it's surely not as simple as just picking one off the lot . I know that most have a dream of that car having the exact color and options and you can have it with Porsche . It just might take some work and flexibility and that's the reality vs the dream .

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I would point out you will end up having a car one model year newer, at least theoretically worth more at resale/trade in time. And the new car arriving late will push back your maintenance expenses on the new car, and perhaps you'll miss a service entirely, offsetting the extra service expense on the old car (which now you are not even paying for).

Understand your point about PCNA, but I would not sweat it given the above + the free service on your current car.

Reactions: Mike1117

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but basically all of this mental anguish is over the opportunity of getting an even newer 2021 model and paying a $4,000 premium? Sorry, but the 4 year service for your 2017 is on you, can't pin that on Porsche over the 2020 deal falling though. They can only make so many Macans a year, less so due to a pandemic and all the supplier issues I'm sure they had to contend with.

1st world problem for sure....personally, if you can wait the additional time for a Porsche equipped exactly the way you want it, go with the MY2021 and call it a day.

Reactions: mplgaus

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
Put down payment on a specific build in late May. Was told a couple of days before lock date ( actually come to think of it was a couple of days after lock if I recall correctly) that the car as ordered could not be built as agate interior was not available. Choice was different interior colour or no 2020. 2nd choice of Expresso was also not available. For me and SWIMBO, black is a non starter as interior colour (personal preference).
Now I understand and am empathetic, meaning, been there done that.

PAG and PCNA announced the Macan at the LA Auto Show in Nov, 2013. Baruth wrote this article late Nov. Read it. He's right. Cayennes cost far more than Macans. Sports car buyers don't have the same expectation as SUV buyers.

I put a deposit on a Turbo down about right after Dec 1. A little bit later the configurator showed up. We specced the car. There were no Macans in the US at this time. Launch was in May, 2014 so it would be a Launch car. Like you, my wife decided the color interior. It was not black. I'm not going to argue about it, it doesn't matter to me.

Time goes on and this happened Let Porsche know if Unhappy about Features/Colors not...

Blue was at the LA Auto show but you couldn't order it.

Then this happened

Baruth was right. They couldn't seem to handle mass producing. My wife was upset, very upset. I, I empathize.

In the end, I walked away, but not because of a color. Others seemed very upset about the lack of availability of roof rails. For a SUV, that might be a deal breaker.

I get it. But, there's not much you can do. Stuff happens. Not the first time and won't be the last time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PCNA does not owe you the right to order the car with the specific color choices you want at the time that you want it. Just like they don’t owe you taking delivery in their vacation months, or owe you a paint to sample a lot when they aren’t filling them.

Whether it’s their fault, their suppliers, the dealer, or yours the stars didn’t align for a 2020 order to work out. Because they don’t owe you that right, they don’t owe you any compensation for not performing a promise they never made.

My point remains: your avenue for redress is with your dealer, where your relationship is. If they are not doing the right thing to match the pricing you had agreed upon, your best option is to vote with your dollars by buying elsewhere (or not at all)
This^

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again @sqweak, but I think this is where we might disagree. In my opinion, if they take my money for an order on a specific item and cannot deliver at the agreed final price, IMHO they do owe me something. At very minimum a sincere apology.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's quite commendable and there is a need for the professionalism that you are describing in modern business. If you recall though I did express on your first thread that when custom ordering a car it's surely not as simple as just picking one off the lot . I know that most have a dream of that car having the exact color and options and you can have it with Porsche . It just might take some work and flexibility and that's the reality vs the dream .
Thanks @yrralis1. Your thoughts are spot on.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would point out you will end up having a car one model year newer, at least theoretically worth more at resale/trade in time. And the new car arriving late will push back your maintenance expenses on the new car, and perhaps you'll miss a service entirely, offsetting the extra service expense on the old car (which now you are not even paying for).

Understand your point about PCNA, but I would not sweat it given the above + the free service on your current car.
Thanks @Shark, all good points.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts