Porsche Macan Forum banner
521 - 540 of 540 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I need expects to guide me whether to buy the Macan now or not? I'm aware about the Macan EV and the facelift the Macan got for 2022.

Two questions:

1. Is it wise to buy a car that it will be discontinued (ICE/Gas Model)?
2. When the Macan EV lunches next year, will the gas model be updated to match the EV?

Thanks.

· Premium Member
82 Posts
I’m not an expert, but: (1) I bought a 2022 Macan, because it may be the last opportunity to buy a new ICE Porsche that fits my budget and tastes, and (2) whenever the EV Macan launches I doubt Porsche with update the ICE at that time. If you think you want to buy a new custom configured Macan, I wouldn’t wait if I were you.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

I need expects to guide me whether to buy the Macan now or not? I'm aware about the Macan EV and the facelift the Macan got for 2022.

Two questions:

1. Is it wise to buy a car that it will be discontinued (ICE/Gas Model)?
2. When the Macan EV lunches next year, will the gas model be updated to match the EV?

Thanks.
I've had a really bad experience buying a first model year of a vehicle and will never do that again. I just ordered a 2023 Macan S and feel great about it because it's the end of the line - they've [presumably] ironed out all the bugs and that the output more refined.

In regards to EV, I was told by my dealer that 2023 may be the last year for this platform. He went on to say that they will continue to build ICE versions of the upcoming Macan, but that it won't be available in all markets. I'm not sure what criteria they use to determine which markets are viable or not.

· Registered
209 Posts
I've had a really bad experience buying a first model year of a vehicle and will never do that again. I just ordered a 2023 Macan S and feel great about it because it's the end of the line - they've [presumably] ironed out all the bugs and that the output more refined.

In regards to EV, I was told by my dealer that 2023 may be the last year for this platform. He went on to say that they will continue to build ICE versions of the upcoming Macan, but that it won't be available in all markets. I'm not sure what criteria they use to determine which markets are viable or not.
Completely agree. Go to any Taycan forum > build and especially electronic issues (UI, battery, etc.). The 2022's seem to be fairing better but unless you have a ton of time and patience I'd avoid the 1st gen Macan EV. Def. interested though, maybe by the time the base or GTS version releases in 2024-5.

· Registered
2019 2.0
64 Posts
Has anyone read what chassis they are basing the Macan EV on?
I am wondering if it is the same as what they are doing with the VW id4 and Audi Q4, or something else? I think the bigger E-tron SUV is the basis for the current Porsche EVs, but I'm not sure.

I always pay attention to the cheapest car that is built on a chassis, cause I think that gives you an overall idea of how much they are having to do to make it a premium product.

· Banned
192 Posts
Has anyone read what chassis they are basing the Macan EV on?
The future Macan EV, which will likely receive a different name, will be using VW Group's Premium Platform Electric (PPE) platform. It will share the 800 volt architecture and 270kw fast charging capability with other Porsche and Audi models. Due to the Macan being taller, it is expected to have more room for batteries and therefore possibly have greater range than the Taycan.

Now the bad news: due to the Macan being taller, heavier, and less aerodynamic ... it can't help but be inferior to the Taycan in practically every other performance measure, while offering no more interior space than the Porsche wagons.

In other news, Audi is running its next generation S4 Avant wagon around Nurburgring in the final stages of development before it's released next year. May the benevolent product planners have mercy on SUV-overloaded Americanos and send a proper performance wagon priced less than $90k to the western hemisphere. Please. Please. Please

· Registered
460 Posts
The USA is causing generational theft from electric vehicles, by issuing deficit spending $7K tax credits, increasing the National Debt, passed onto our unborn great grandchildren.
The rare metals in car batteries will all be recycled because they're too valuable not to be, and a large battery-recycling industry is ramping up now for that. While these metals can be recycled, fossil fuels cannot be recycled (they are burned and gone forever). The federal tax credits that you speak of have now gone close to zero, thanks to the recently passed (Aug. 2022) bill that severely limits credits to cars made in North America (and, starting in 2024, batteries with mined metals made largely or, eventually entirely, in the US or its free-trade-partner countries). So very few cars are now eligible for the federal tax credit, and it'll be years before very many are eligible again.

The national debt is not helped by the welfare payments of around $20B per year to the oil/gas companies -- which has been going on for a long time and which dwarfs the federal tax credits to EV buyers in the last decade. Providing one-sided "assessments" without any context is helpful to nobody. Realistically, "No conclusive statement can be made regarding whether LIBs or gasoline outcompetes the other from an environmental standpoint. Their impacts fall on varying ecosystems and even areas that overlap don’t have corresponding data. The one certain fact is that both energy sources provide tremendous assistance in our modern lives, but are also responsible for environmental harm that we are either unaware of or choose to sweep under the rug." [A Comparison of the Environmental Consequences in the Production and Disposal Phases of Lithium-Ion Batteries and Gasoline - NHSJS]

The amount of damage done by oil/gas companies to extract oil and gas, ship/pipe it to refineries, refine it, and ship/pipe it to end users is quite considerable. As for end use, there's no question that the driver is driving a much cleaner vehicle in terms of emissions (none) in a BEV vs. an ICEV (lots). With renewable energy increasing (yes, with a long ways to go), one can increasingly have their EVs charged using renewable energy sources (hydro, wind, solar) so that from a "fuel" perspective (ignoring the battery production itself), BEVs can be really run with zero fossil fuels. My town of 30k people, for example, feeds electricity to its households and businesses entirely from renewable energy. So we're getting there and moving in the right direction. Even many oil companies are seeing "the light" and investing more heavily in the future of BEVs, recognizing that ICEVs will become "the past" in a few decades.

For those who think they can go on forever driving ICEVs, they are ignoring what automakers are actually doing -- Porsche included. Porsche will not likely produce ICEVs beyond 2035 (if not beyond 2030) except for a few 911s. Most large automakers are on a similar track (Toyota being the noticeable laggard amongst automaker giants right now). This means that it won't matter by 2035 if you want a new ICEV or not, because most automakers won't be making them (irregardless of whether you're in a CARB state that follows California's lead, like my state is, in which by 2035, 80% of new-car sales must be BEVs and up to 20% can be PHEVs, but no ICEVs). And with automakers no longer making new ICEVs, it means that new repair parts will quickly become harder to come by because they simply won't be made any longer (yes, junkyards can still provide ICEV repair parts for decades into the future, but the writing is on the wall).

Sorry, Grim: I saw your post a few posts up just now. You can move this if you want. I did respond previously to this poll and said that I'll only be buying Porsches with plugs from here on in... :)

· Registered
2022 Macan
160 Posts
Absolutely no to any electric vehicle for my usage.

Count me in the group who loves our planet's environment too much to contribute to the ecological destruction caused by electric vehicle production and operation. The massive amounts of lithium, manganese and cobalt mining causes a permanent swath of devastation.

Unlike the lead-acid batteries that are virtually 100% recycled after their 7-10 year life, the Lithium Ion batteries that have a $10K to $50K+ replacement cost are either shredded and dumped to leach their poisons into landfills or shipped out of the USA for incineration to exhaust the poison into the atmosphere.

The USA is causing generational theft from electric vehicles, by issuing deficit spending $7K tax credits, increasing the National Debt, passed onto our unborn great grandchildren.

Lithium Mining
The rare metals in car batteries will all be recycled because they're too valuable not to be, and a large battery-recycling industry is ramping up now for that.
Yes, that imaginary factory is being staffed by unicorns.

The reality is the energy required to recycle the cells in those short-lifetime, obscenely-expensive EV battery packs (usually costing more than the current used value of the vehicle) greatly exceeds the recovered value.

When that reality has more widespread understanding, it won't be possible to unload an 8-10 year EV, that requires tens of thousands of dollars for a new battery pack.

· Registered
438 Posts
Realistically, "No conclusive statement can be made regarding whether LIBs or gasoline outcompetes the other from an environmental standpoint. Their impacts fall on varying ecosystems and even areas that overlap don’t have corresponding data. The one certain fact is that both energy sources provide tremendous assistance in our modern lives, but are also responsible for environmental harm that we are either unaware of or choose to sweep under the rug." [A Comparison of the Environmental Consequences in the Production and Disposal Phases of Lithium-Ion Batteries and Gasoline - NHSJS] :)
Love the acronym for Lithium Ion Batterys = LIBS 😁

· Registered
2,021 Posts
there's no question that the driver is driving a much cleaner vehicle in terms of emissions (none) in a BEV vs. an ICEV (lots).
@cometguy . . .I enjoyed reading that very thoughtful post and it's stirred my curiously to continue learning. There seem to be mostly "from the hip" opinions that dominant any discussion. I confess to likely skewing my thoughts and opinions based, in part, on my desire to defend years of muscle car and performance car ownership and my thrust for the sound of a 1967 Sri-Power G.T.O. 389.

The whole battery thing, and I need to do a lot of research to discern fact from fancy, seems to be mining some pretty dangerous stuff using conscripted labor in far away foreign countries with few, if any, Enviromental controls or concern. I don't know that that is an accurate assessment.

I also wonder how the "total emissions" between and EV and ICE compare.

Battery disposal, from the ip, seems more of a threat that nuclear waste disposal which is now well sorted.

One thing I was impressed with when we bought our Audi eTron was that the Audi battery has cells that can be changed, as opposed to changing the entire battery, if there is a cell that goes bad.

When that reality has more widespread understanding, it won't be possible to unload an 8-10 year EV, that requires tens of thousands of dollars for a new battery pack.
My initial thought is to agree with that . . . however it seems much like buying a personal jet with high time engines. I mean, one of the basic considerations for the purchase of a previously owned just is TBO. Those who have paid for hot sections will know what I mean.

Anyway . . sounds like we all have lots to learn.

I start my learning journey having heard tales of how the "steering column mounted spark advance level" . . . I remember a few of them, was an indispensable part of an automobile that would ALWAYS be there.

Body jewelry Household hardware Jewellery Silver Nickel

Vintage Ignition Spark Advance / Retard Lever

Personal confession . . . I love the floor mounted high beam headlight switch on my 1960 MGA.

· Registered
2018 Base
179 Posts
Maybe Porsche intentionally made the '22-'23 models uglier in order to enhance the appeal of the EV, which from these photos looks pretty good to me vs the current design

· Banned
192 Posts
To the OP, I:m not. My garage is tight enough as it is. And now I need to install a 220 line? If I had to do that, I:d be looking at a new riser. And there:s no room on that wall right now.
The feed to the charger doesn't have to come from your main panel. You have options. For example, you can easily add an external sub-panel to feed your EV charger using an meter collar like this:

· Registered
732 Posts
2025 the macan ev is being released i just spoke to my SA this morning. it is being delayed due to supply chain issues.

521 - 540 of 540 Posts