Porsche Macan Forum banner

441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Significant ICE and EV Overlap for Macan, Per C&D

A short on-line article in Car and Driver today (Feb. 10, 2020) ...

... states this:

We can now confirm that we are not just talking about a short overlap. The gasoline-powered model, essentially the current model, will be facelifted to resemble its electric sister model. And it will run for another three years next to the new model, a top-level brand executive has confirmed. Another insider hastens to add that there is some flexibility as to the product cycle: "Such an important car can keep the internal-combustion engine even longer," we are told.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The last sentence disappoints me in that article: no PHEV version of the Macan. I was hoping that that would be my next Porsche...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will say, despite how much i think all tesla drivers are giant dbags, after driving my friends model 3, EVs are the future.

It was soooo much smoother than any other ICE car i've driven. And the instant torque and brake makes it a super fun drive too. Can't wait for porsche to go EV on all models except the 911 maybe
Brother a Tesla model 3 is in no way comparable to any Porsche. I understand the 0-60 times are quick, but you can’t replace the sound of the exhaust or the handling and weight of a combustion. That’s like saying a dodge hellcat is quicker than a cayman. To each their own

·
Registered
30 Posts
No more Macans with ICE Engines Starting in 2022

I’m on a business trip and staying at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niquel California, and I’m seeing dozens of people walking around with shirts with the Porsche logo.

So I strike up a conversation with one of them and mention that I own a 996 as well as a Macan.

He mentioned that he has been with PCNA for 10 years and is helping to conduct a Brand Ambassador Level 3 (whatever Level 3 is) training session at the hotel, and further mentions that as of 2022 all Macans will be all electric.

All I can say is that I received the strong impression that he knows what he’s talking about.
I drove the Taycan and liked it. If Porsche makes a Macan that drives as well as the Taycan I'd buy. I don't think a hybrid would interest me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It looks like Porsche will change the Macan next year. I'm assuming that in a new ICE Macan, they'll put the "haptic" buttons behind shiny glass for controls surrounding the new electronic gear shifter, like in the new-gen Panamera and Cayenne... IF this happens (and it's just speculation now), I'm guess that they might also get rid of the analog speedo and maybe even spread out the instrument panel digitally like in the new Cayenne and Panamera, maybe even offering stuff like night-vision camera.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks like Porsche will change the Macan next year. I'm assuming that in a new ICE Macan, they'll put the "haptic" buttons behind shiny glass for controls surrounding the new electronic gear shifter, like in the new-gen Panamera and Cayenne... IF this happens (and it's just speculation now), I'm guess that they might also get rid of the analog speedo and maybe even spread out the instrument panel digitally like in the new Cayenne and Panamera, maybe even offering stuff like night-vision camera.

This shouldn’t have been moved to this thread, OR the title of this thread needs to be changed.

The 2nd gen Macan will be made in EV and ICE versions...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why post an article and then speculate everything that's not in it? I was hoping to see some of those shots as I read your post before clicking.:(
New gen Turbo/GTS just fairly recently became available, don't think they'll be rushing a new refresh without an EV along side it. Especially now that the virus is halting a lot of production facilities.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, Grim, why did you move this to this thread? I know this thread well and started the new thread on purpose...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will say, despite how much i think all tesla drivers are giant dbags, after driving my friends model 3, EVs are the future.

It was soooo much smoother than any other ICE car i've driven. And the instant torque and brake makes it a super fun drive too. Can't wait for porsche to go EV on all models except the 911 maybe
Hey, I resemble that remark! My Model S does bring out the worst in me at times, apologies.

Comparing my Macan with the S, I'd say the Macan is more refined, but seems to put in a lot of effort when tasked. Seeing the gas gauge dwindle makes me grateful prices are currently low. The Model S just goes, instantly. Drove a Model X with Ludicrous mode a few months back, unbelievable.

Looking forward to an electrified Macan!

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
From the horses mouth, PAG 2019 Annual Report, p. 16 published March 18, announced the board of PAG decided the electric Macan in the next gen in early 2020s. p.19 Next gen Macan will be fully electric. p.88, same info, p.152 EV Macan will be on PPE platform. Axle assembly in Saxony. Nothing about any ICE for the next generation.

Meanwhile, an anonymous photographer allegedly talks to an anonymous "Porsche" insider about a camouflaged mule in an auto blog. :unsure: Sure, believe that. Get back when you have it from an authoritative source. When Porsche talks to people, it usually someone in Autocar, Like this

Which is already in this thread.

Or to Car, like this

Regardless, if there is, its still 2nd gen and the information not in multiple threads. And if you think this is all settled, especially after the decimation of the German auto industry in the last month, you might want to rethink that.

How much profit have they made the last month? You think yesterday's plans are the same as today? What is going to change after the entire world's economy has been sunk?

Porsche Eyes Deeper Overhaul as Virus Shatters Industry

The coronavirus effects threatening European supply chains hit manufacturers at a critical time as the industry reels from slowing global demand, tariff threats and stricter emission regulations. ... recouping all the lost sales during the course of the year will be difficult. ... there is no way around electric mobility in the next 10 years,” ... Porsche’s joint effort with sister brand Audi on electric-car technology for models including the Macan SUV helps save 30% in development cost, he said. Deeper collaboration within the VW group and teaming up with technology firms in key markets will also keep Porsche competitive in a fundamentally-changing competitive landscape where software plays a key role, he said.
We are expecting [electric Macan] production to start at the end of 2022," said Michael Steiner, Porsche's executive board member for development.
Porsche now shutdown at least until 4/14

Don’t plan on things returning to normal. There could be lasting effects to this crisis.

BTW while the car companies want the emission laws relaxed, the EU seems to want them made more stringent. Who knows how this all falls out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Respectfully, Grim, and knowing that there isn’t yet any “official” confirmation on the 2nd Gen Macan ICE, but plenty of rumors and even some spy shots...

This forum is a place for people to discuss, opine and share their interest in the Macan. We aren’t officially tied to Porsche, and as such we can speculate.

It would be good to start a new discussion, separate from this one, about the 2nd Gen Macan potentially being ICE. If more information comes out, it can be added to that thread. If not, no harm no foul, the thread will die an organic death.

I’m willing to bet that there will be a 2nd Gen ICE model. The effects of the coronavirus will probably be to dampen the push to EV as Europe tries to rebuild a shuttered economy.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
This is the thread for speculation on the second generation Macan. It doesn't matter if its ICE, Hybrid, Hydrogen, Electric, Coal, or wind powered. All discussion remains here. The reasons are simple. People think they found something, which someone else already found, and keep making new threads. All information belongs in one place. This has been discussed years ago over and over again. It just clutters everything up. Every time some auto journalist wants clicks, they just repeat the exact same information, over and over again, with their opinions based on the same source material.

I sense a belief that some people think the corporate trajectories are going to remain Pre-Virus vs Post-Virus, meaning after a vaccine is developed. Some might think life will continue on as normal. Until its developed, I wouldn't bet on anything. It is possible they just keep building ICE cars, slap a new name on it, and call it a day. But if you believe in a Pre-Virus world continuing on as if nothing has happened, then you should read the 2019 annual report. They tell their investors exactly what they intend to do. The company is doing everything in its power to be "sustainable", only sourcing material in its supply chains from "S" vendors, attempting to be zero emissions through their entire production cycle.

In the meantime, speculate away. But I really wouldn't believe anything from an anonymous photographer talking to anonymous "insiders" unwilling to provide actual sourcing. Cause I know someone who was at a meeting who said they heard it from someone familiar with corporate thinking that .... ? But thats up to everyone to believe whatever they believe.

If Porsche were a US company, I would be agreeing that maybe ICE would be continuing on for decades. While medical supply chains can be radically changed and produced internally vice sourced from China, production of Lithium, Graphite, and REE cannot simply because US resources are little to none in comparison to other countries, never mind cobalt from the Congo. But Porsche is a German company with German interests, not US interests. They march to a Brussels drummer.

@ABusLux I've altered the thread title to make this all 2nd generation discussion.

On a side note, this is promising for REE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the thread for speculation on the second generation Macan. It doesn't matter if its ICE, Hybrid, Hydrogen, Electric, Coal, or wind powered. All discussion remains here.

@ABusLux I've altered the thread title to make this all 2nd generation discussion.

Thanks @grim! The title change is perfect ?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
This is the thread for speculation on the second generation Macan. It doesn't matter if its ICE, Hybrid, Hydrogen, Electric, Coal, or wind powered.
Wind powered? How cool is that? Porsche is going to one up Elon:)

Reactions: grim

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
Take one Macan, put it in a crusher...

Voila! Your EV Macan!

I recently read that BMW is reactivating their hydrogen program. You may recall they did a lot of
work with hydrogen powered cars ~20+ years ago. Similar to EV, a large stumbling block is infrastructure
support - charging stations, hydrogen filling stations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Take one Macan, put it in a crusher...

Voila! Your EV Macan!

I recently read that BMW is reactivating their hydrogen program. You may recall they did a lot of
work with hydrogen powered cars ~20+ years ago. Similar to EV, a large stumbling block is infrastructure
support - charging stations, hydrogen filling stations.
Cool! When BMW came to DC to lobby congress back then, we set up a local liquid hydrogen refueling station since we had cryogenic experience. After attending a 1 hour presentation we were allowed to sign out the modified 750 for short drives. I could detect no difference between gasoline and hydrogen modes, but the primitive GPS display showed us way off the road when we were on a four lane highway. My thinking was at first "OOOOhhhh I'm driving a $100K+ car" then "Meh, I wouldn't spend that much for this" They gave out small water bottles labeled "Exhaust", I still have it unopened in my library. My humble opinion is the hydrogen economy is just like fusion power, several decades away, and always will be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Latest industry info points to a new petrol Macan based on Audi MLB ( like current Q5) and a new so-called "Macan" EV based on another platform. So it's kind of pointless call them both the Macan except for Porsche marketing purposes. I can't imagine they will even look that similar.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I sense a belief that some people think the corporate trajectories are going to remain Pre-Virus vs Post-Virus, meaning after a vaccine is developed. Some might think life will continue on as normal. Until its developed, I wouldn't bet on anything.
+1. This sums it up ! Going forward even under the best conditions (vaccine, startup, and no second shutdown) Porsche has been hit hard . I saw Porsche gert hard hit during there 08 financial crisis (one permanently closed dealership , another claimed bankruptcy ,successful ones empty , 20 percent discounts ). This is far worse . They can't even build the car as they are shut down and the ones they have no ones buying. We are not up to the point where people are pitching their cars so they can pay bills . Plenty did in 08. Remember when gas was over 4 bucks? Who was buying a heavy NA V8 Cayenne then ? Now gas is cheap and people aren't even driving much these days .

I know ... Hannty and Tucker think this is an overreaction and everyone needs to get right back in their cubicles . Sure .

Porsche says 2023 ? I am just trying to get to next month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it happens and you want a last-year Macan ICE, you probably need to order at year start and not wait until the end. I suspect the last Macan ICEs will go like hotcakes cause of all the people that haven't drunk the EV Kool-Aid.
Just ordered a 2021 Macan S a couple of weeks ago. I have read forecasts about all-electric Macans on numerous automotive web sites. There's enough "smoke" that I figure there may be a "fire". I consider my 2021 order to be an early run on the last ICE generation. Or maybe not all that early, depending on who you believe. Definitely not waiting until the last minute. Plug-in electric is a non-starter for me due to living in an apartment (my garage only has a single 15 amp 110 volt outlet) plus taking long trips.

441 - 460 of 463 Posts