Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche has just announced the new generation Cayenne in e-hybrid flavor, boasting a 136HP electric drive coupled with the Cayenne base’s single-turbo engine. Now, if we take that as a proxy to speculate about a potential plug-in hybrid Macan, we can think of the 4-cylinder Audi engine coupled with the same electric drive that we find in the hybrid Cayenne and Panamera, which would deliver a total of around 360HP, which will probably be similar to the power to be found on the facelift Macan S, and lots of torque from as low as 1000 revs. This would make sense since the new Cayenne e-hybrid takes the base Cayenne’s engine and, adding the electric drive, delivers a total of 462HP (enough for an impressive 4.8s time for the 0-60), which is 22 more than the 440HP of the Cayenne S. Throw in some 25-30 miles of pure electric drive, good for many city commuters, and all this priced at roughly the same price point as the Macan S.

I’m really curious to know what your thoughts abut such a model would be. A few months ago I would have said ‘not for me’ since my wife’s Cayenne doesn’t deliver much ‘Porscheness’ to me, but now I find it a very appealing proposition to replace my Macan GTS one day.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Porsche has just announced the new generation Cayenne in e-hybrid flavor, boasting a 136HP electric drive coupled with the Cayenne base’s single-turbo engine. Now, if we take that as a proxy to speculate about a potential plug-in hybrid Macan, we can think of the 4-cylinder Audi engine coupled with the same electric drive that we find in the hybrid Cayenne and Panamera, which would deliver a total of around 360HP, which will probably be similar to the power to be found on the facelift Macan S, and lots of torque from as low as 1000 revs. This would make sense since the new Cayenne e-hybrid takes the base Cayenne’s engine and, adding the electric drive, delivers a total of 462HP (enough for an impressive 4.8s time for the 0-60), which is 22 more than the 440HP of the Cayenne S. Throw in some 25-30 miles of pure electric drive, good for many city commuters, and all this priced at roughly the same price point as the Macan S.

I’m really curious to know what your thoughts abut such a model would be. A few months ago I would have said ‘not for me’ since my wife’s Cayenne doesn’t deliver much ‘Porscheness’ to me, but now I find it a very appealing proposition to replace my Macan GTS one day.
As a former owner of a Cayenne e-Hybrid I was very disappointed, hence "former". Maybe the new generation will be better. My Cayenne e-Hybrid had an Audi supercharged (not turbo) V-6 using Tip transmission so not sure if there is a Macan e-Hybrid that you'll see a Tip or PDK - I like the PDK so much more than Tip. Sales rep mentioned to me that since Cayenne is more likely to be a tow vehicle, it used the Tip. Anyway, I think I'd wait for further technology (battery) improvements before buying a Macan e-Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I'd consider a hybrid Macan at some point down the road. I've got a short commute, so using little to no gas would be ideal for me. I wouldn't want to compromise on power & handling, though.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would absolutely consider it (it will be a lot better than the early Cayenne E-Hybrid). I fill up my turbo more often than any of my previous cars. I chart the mileage on an app and over 43k miles, I'm averaging 17.1 mpg. Only one tank cracked 20mpg and that was on a long, all-highway trip. A lot of my driving is city but it's just brutal. I'm averaging around 16 gallons each fill (try not to run all the way to empty bc of tank sediment, etc.) which is only 270 miles of range.

I really, really wish the Macan had the 90-liter (23.8 gallon) tank from the Panamera GTS & turbo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unlikely, although I would love a Turbo S hybrid
The problem with the Macan is that the platform has nowhere for the hardware for the extra electric motors and battery. Sure it can be done but lets face it, Porsche won't really half-ass it just to get the product out.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unlikely, although I would love a Turbo S hybrid
The problem with the Macan is that the platform has nowhere for the hardware for the extra electric motors and battery. Sure it can be done but lets face it, Porsche won't really half-ass it just to get the product out.
The battery would go in the space under the trunk floor, and the engine bay has enough space for the electric drive combined with a 4-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The battery would go in the space under the trunk floor, and the engine bay has enough space for the electric drive combined with a 4-cylinder engine.
I was told it wasn't enough room under the trunk floor

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told it wasn't enough room under the trunk floor
I don't think that the Panamera has more room than the Macan, although I might be wrong. But anyway a battery is a collection of cells; one can simply make and fit a smaller battery. The Macan being less heavy (I resisted to say "lighter" there) than the Cayenne, my guess is that the mileage and performance would be similar.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would absolutely consider it (it will be a lot better than the early Cayenne E-Hybrid). I fill up my turbo more often than any of my previous cars. I chart the mileage on an app and over 43k miles, I'm averaging 17.1 mpg. Only one tank cracked 20mpg and that was on a long, all-highway trip. A lot of my driving is city but it's just brutal. I'm averaging around 16 gallons each fill (try not to run all the way to empty bc of tank sediment, etc.) which is only 270 miles of range.

I really, really wish the Macan had the 90-liter (23.8 gallon) tank from the Panamera GTS & turbo.
That's very impressive mileage though compared to my S. Granted, I've had it new only for couple of months, but I haven't got anything more than 13.8 combined yet. I do have a bit heavy right foot, and also tend to drive in Sport mode. Will the mileage improve going forward? I see you clocked 45K miles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here is the article I just saw today that speculates I assume that there will be 3 versions of EV Macan: "The base model would pack 215 horsepower (166 kW), the mid-level version with 322 hp (240 kW), and the top-of-the-line with 430 hp (320 kW). The latter would ostensibly come close to the Macan Turbo with the optional Performance Package that churns out 434 hp (324 kW)."

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
No more Macans with ICE Engines Starting in 2022

I’m on a business trip and staying at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niquel California, and I’m seeing dozens of people walking around with shirts with the Porsche logo.

So I strike up a conversation with one of them and mention that I own a 996 as well as a Macan.

He mentioned that he has been with PCNA for 10 years and is helping to conduct a Brand Ambassador Level 3 (whatever Level 3 is) training session at the hotel, and further mentions that as of 2022 all Macans will be all electric.

All I can say is that I received the strong impression that he knows what he’s talking about.

·
Registered
956 Posts
All gas/electric hybrid I can buy. The whole lineup as full electric? I call B.S. on that one. After all, if this is the guy that trains the salespeople, of course he makes a habit of speaking on matters he know nothing about with great authority, pretending to know stuff and generally just lying.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
All gas/electric hybrid I can buy. The whole lineup as full electric? I call B.S. on that one. After all, if this is the guy that trains the salespeople, of course he makes a habit of speaking on matters he know nothing about with great authority, pretending to know stuff and generally just lying.
My money is on you. Maybe 2032 but 2022, no way no how.

·
Registered
195 Posts
lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
No way, I say BS! As if Porsche would do that to their #1 selling product, the Macan.

All electric: That would be a progressive environmental liberal wet dream come true. Maybe all electric for Kalifornia... lol.

All electric is far off, the entire power / fuel infrastructure still would need to be completely overhauled & the tech ejeftric auti tech much improved.

Reactions: 911&h20

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will say, despite how much i think all tesla drivers are giant dbags, after driving my friends model 3, EVs are the future.

It was soooo much smoother than any other ICE car i've driven. And the instant torque and brake makes it a super fun drive too. Can't wait for porsche to go EV on all models except the 911 maybe

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to say that don’t think that’s going to happen, that it might be that the next-gen Macan would only offer electrified drivetrains but not only EV (i.e. a range of hybrid models and EV), and that I think it’s still too early for a EV-only Macan.

But on second thoughts, I don’t see how Porsche or any other manufacturer could offer ICE and/or hybrid and EV versions of the same model, since the car is conceived differently from the outset: the positioning of the batteries, the distribution of different elements (and therefore, mass) in the car, the transmission concept... it’s just too different. Therefore, yes, I can believe that if (and I stress the “if”) the next-gen Macan is conceived as an EV, then it will only be EV.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
But on second thoughts, I don’t see how Porsche or any other manufacturer could offer ICE and/or hybrid and EV versions of the same model, since the car is conceived differently from the outset: the positioning of the batteries, the distribution of different elements (and therefore, mass) in the car, the transmission concept... it’s just too different. Therefore, yes, I can believe that if (and I stress the “if”) the next-gen Macan is conceived as an EV, then it will only be EV.
Very interesting perspective !!

1 - 20 of 463 Posts