Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call Porsche and ask about recall AMA2. That’s the Porsche number, not the NHTSA number ans give them your VIN. My 2016 Macan S just showed up.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S Sapphire Blue
44 Posts
I just called my local dealer and they said the parts may not be in till September.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local dealer, keen to improve their inventory, sent an unsolicited email suggesting used car values might be some way above what might be 'normal' and asking if my 2017 Macan was for sale. With a great build and only 22,000 miles on the clock I decided to see what they would offer only to find that there is an Open Campaign and Porsche have issued a 'stop sales' notice (to dealers). Searches on Porsche / this forum / other web sites did not reveal what this campaign was about but further questions to my dealer show that it is to replace the passenger occupancy detection sensor but parts will not be available until August thereby putting a dampener on selling to the dealer (and any private individual who is smart enough to find out what this is about). The dealer has said that the car is safe to drive. The campaign reference by the way is AMA2.
Anyone want to chime in with thoughts / comments?

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
My Macan was in for the passenger airbag seat occupancy sensor recall back in 2017 or 2018. Apparently there's another
bad batch of seat occupancy sensors?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.... if I drop my daughter/her mates off I have to turn the car off to stop the incessant warning that the (non-existent) people in the back seat don't have their seatbelts on. Hmm, call to the dealer coming up unless someone can tell me it is me doing something wrong

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks @drawz, sounds like something different and a little bit more concerning than my issue, maybe it is just my issue?
I think this recall is only for the front passenger seat. Not sure what's going on with your car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Macan was in for the passenger airbag seat occupancy sensor recall back in 2017 or 2018. Apparently there's another
bad batch of seat occupancy sensors?

:rolleyes:
Some more detail from here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V131-3079.PDF :

Chronology : On March 2, 2017, Porsche recalled certain MY2015-2017 Porsche Macan vehicles to replace the BodySense Generation 1 front passenger seat occupancy sensors mats (“sensor mats”). The recall number is 17V-133. 2018–2020 Porsche periodically received and analyzed individual returned warranty BodySense Generation 2 sensor mats from vehicles outside of the 17V-133 recall population, but did not identify a failure pattern, or a defect trend. In late January 2021, Porsche reviewed field statistics and was informed about additional complaints involving failures of the BodySense Generation 2 sensor mats. Further Analysis revealed that certain failures of the sensor mats were due to cracks of the conductive fabric within the sensor mats resulting from a lack of sufficient strength of the material. Porsche is not aware of any incidents worldwide where the protective benefits of the front airbag system were not available to the passenger in the event of a crash that are attributable to the subject issue. On February, 24th, 2021, Porsche decided to conduct a voluntary recall for all vehicles equipped with BodySense Generation 2 sensor mats.​

·
Registered
27 Posts
My SA informed me of this when mine was in for service recently. He said the parts aren't available yet, but I'll be notified when they are. He said the job involves removing the seat, removing the seat covers/upholstery, replacing the sensor, and putting everything back together.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
46 Posts
Great, so this means in a crash front passengers are screwed.
I was wondering yesterday why when my wife was slow to put on her seatbelt no warning was heard.
This is a big deal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was wondering yesterday why when my wife was slow to put on her seatbelt no warning was heard.
This is a big deal.
If your sensor is working, you don't have a problem. If your sensor is not working, you will see the Airbag Sensor Off lamp at all times (for the front passenger), even with a passenger in that seat (and yes - at that point, you have a problem, move the passenger to the rear seat).

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
In 2017 I had the AH02 recall. 2015-2017 MY Macans.
2015-2017 Porsche Macan recalled to fix air bag systems
So, now there is a similar recall AMA2, for that same passenger seat airbag sensor?

I checked my VIN here

result: "0 Unrepaired Recalls"

So, Dealer had already replaced my Macan's passenger occupant detection sensor mat and seat cushion.
From the AMA 2 document under vehicle 3, 2015-2018 Porsche Macan Turbo, it gives a range of production dates as well as a range of VINs.
begin WP1AF2A5 4FLB47047 End WP1AF2A5 1JLB70262
(I added the spaces)
I'm not sure if my VIN falls into that defect range. After the 1st 8 characters, looking at the next 4 characters, recalled cars are between
4FLB & 1JLB
My next 4 are 5GLB.

But I had read that it is the last 6 digits that are the production #.
So maybe recalled VINs must be between B47047 & B70262

My 1st 3, of that final 6 digits, are: B91.

So, I think I am outside that range & "safe."

I base the VIN decoding on this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 2017 I had the AH02 recall. 2015-2017 MY Macans.
2015-2017 Porsche Macan recalled to fix air bag systems
So, now there is a similar recall AMA2, for that same passenger seat airbag sensor?

I checked my VIN here

result: "0 Unrepaired Recalls"

So, Dealer had already replaced my Macan's passenger occupant detection sensor mat and seat cushion.
From the AMA 2 document under vehicle 3, 2015-2018 Porsche Macan Turbo, it gives a range of production dates as well as a range of VINs.
begin WP1AF2A5 4FLB47047 End WP1AF2A5 1JLB70262
(I added the spaces)
I'm not sure if my VIN falls into that defect range. After the 1st 8 characters, looking at the next 4 characters, recalled cars are between
4FLB & 1JLB
My next 4 are 5GLB.

But I had read that it is the last 6 digits that are the production #.
So maybe recalled VINs must be between B47047 & B70262

My 1st 3, of that final 6 digits, are: B91.

So, I think I am outside that range & "safe."

I base the VIN decoding on this:
View attachment 242279
I also checked my VIN at NHTSA and the result came back as 0 Unrepaired Recalls but my dealer forwarded the AMA2 doc to me which shows my vehicle is affected so don’t rely on NHTSA.

·
Registered
742 Posts
So my car makes no sounds when passenger is not fastened although I see a wire coming to the seat belt lock. Airbag sensor seem to work fine. I asked my SA about open recalls and he found nada.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a letter for this recall:

"What is the issue?
On the affected vehicles, the front passenger seat occupancy sensor mats may degrade with time and eventually fail, leading to the possible non-detection of a front passenger. As a result, the front passenger airbag may not deploy in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury."

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
This is a big deal.

The post above states:

Porsche is not aware of any incidents worldwide where the protective benefits of the front airbag system were not available
to the passenger in the event of a crash that are attributable to the subject issue.

Most of the crash protection for a person in the front passenger would be provided by wearing a seatbelt. Airbags were developed
for use in automobiles as a passive restraint system for vehicle occupants not wearing seatbelts, which became available in the US
only in 1968. Prior to that, you were free to fly about in the event of a collision!

Warning gong activation may or may not be related. Look at the overhead console to see if the seat occupancy sensor displays ON or OFF.

Again, the facts related to the matter as stated above, suggest there is little, if any, safety risk.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
You still have that modern addition called a seat belt. We didn't used t have those when I was introduced to the driver's seat and had to be trained to use them. So some of us might not be too concerned. Eventually they will get fixed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts