Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Dusting off an oldie. See, SEARCHING before posting can help a ton! (Immediate apology for the dig)

I just installed a rat tail on the FRONT lugs under the hood for my CTEK battery tender and now my memory settings for the driver's side aren't working - passenger side is normal. MY16S with comfort entry. I will admit that I did NOT disconnect the battery, as I figured the lugs were "safe" (berate me later for being a dummy). The SET button does not illuminate when pressed, but the steering wheel and side mirrors adjust when pressing the number buttons, just not the seat. I will try this helpful suggestion and report back. Thanks for the tip!

Dusting off an oldie. See, SEARCHING before posting can help a ton! (Immediate apology for the dig)

I just installed a rat tail on the FRONT lugs under the hood for my CTEK battery tender and now my memory settings for the driver's side aren't working - passenger side is normal. MY16S with comfort entry. I will admit that I did NOT disconnect the battery, as I figured the lugs were "safe" (berate me later for being a dummy). The SET button does not illuminate when pressed, but the steering wheel and side mirrors adjust when pressing the number buttons, just not the seat. I will try this helpful suggestion and report back. Thanks for the tip!
I would think that connecting a rat tail to the front lugs would be fine, without doing anything else. That's what I would do. I mean, it's not as if you were either completing or disconnecting any circuit.

So, you're saying that just connecting a sort of extension cord to the lugs resulted in the memory loss? That happened, and more or less at the same time? No one was playing with the seat?

So on the same day I installed the rat tail, I conditioned the leather seats and may have nudged the controls a bit here and there. Nothing I might not do on any ordinary day to fine tune my seat, with the obvious exception that the vehicle was off. Again, this nudging has happened on numerous other cleaning episodes, so wouldn't guess that to be the culprit. Figured it was an electrical gremlin caused by me monkeying around with the electrical stuff.

So on the same day I installed the rat tail, I conditioned the leather seats and may have nudged the controls a bit here and there. Nothing I might not do on any ordinary day to fine tune my seat, with the obvious exception that the vehicle was off. Again, this nudging has happened on numerous other cleaning episodes, so wouldn't guess that to be the culprit. Figured it was an electrical gremlin caused by me monkeying around with the electrical stuff.
Hmmm ...

You try the seat-movement-all-the-way tricks yet?

I work for an auto parts supplier who sells seat motors and controllers. This trick should work in most vehicles. Seat memory and comfort adjust work off of last known position. If for some reason the seat controller looses the seats last known position it de-normalizes the seat and does not allow automatic return to positions. It is necessary to move the seat through its full range of motions (up, down, back, forth) and hit the hard stops for it to re-learn its range of motion. Once you do this the seat should re-gain its memory and function as normal.

BTW, other motorized features in your vehicle behave the same way. Motorized features such as steering column, mirrors, sunroof, and window-lift all work off similar principles.

Ge0

Had similar issues with my X5 shared w wife. After exiting, if doors are locked with the key itself, memory presets work correctly. If you let doors lock automatically (X5) or by pressing the handle (Macan) then the settings won't change even if a different user key is detected for the next driver. In this case, driver needs to use the key to unlock, lock, then unlock again for the vehicle to recognize the new key. It's an annoying quirk but not exclusive to Porsche

Just got delivery of my '20 S yesterday. It been so frustrated since no matter how I set the mirrors, door locks... to my preference. Every time I lock the door and unlock it, it went back to before and I lost all my settings.

After read the user's manual, i figured it's caused by the "auto memory" setting since if you turn it on, every time you lock the door, all setting will be erased. After a long thought, I think I found the solution, I unlocked the door, unset the "auto memory", set everything to my preference and locked the door again so my settings would not be erased. Unlocked the door again, turned on the "auto memory", locked the door again so all setting would be saved to my key fob. Unlocked it once again and turned off "auto memory" so I don't have to deal with these issues any more.

So the question is, how do you erase the settings that saved in your key fob? Any one has better solution than what I've been through? German engineering? Gees!

Thanks for that tip. I read the owner's manual regarding 'auto memory' and was more confused after than before. Between your info and some trial and error, I now have the memory settings consistent every time I enter the vehicle. I wish I could explain this in a sentence or two to simplify it or explain it logically but really this defies logic. It's not an engineering issue... it runs along the lines of why in the world does BMW pump fake exhaust sounds through the vehicle. You can't make sense of it. Just throw your arms up, unplug the dam thing, and move on.

In order for your memory to remember a position, it needs to remember "the limits" of the seat first. Sometimes it looses those limits and you need to teach them again. To do this follow these instructions.
With your vehicle running, stand next to your seat, move your seat all the way forward and hold it there for 2 sec. Then move it all the way back and hold for 2sec. Then down and hold and then up and hold. Do not change the sequence.
Now try if you SET button lights up. If not, chances are there is something else that it needs to "learn". Do the above with your telescopic steering wheel. If the problem is still there, you will have to take it in for service, where they will connect a computer which imitates the above procedure for all memory functions.

Good luck
Stan
Yes, yes, yes... it worked!!! Stan, you are a genius!

So after two hours of messing my seats i finally made it to work with 14 way seats. here's the procedure:

1. Ignition ON.
2. Move seat to low/back/deflate lumbar/shrink knee support
3. Move front and keep holding the button for 2 secs.
4. Move back and hold for 2 secs (don't push twice)
5. UP+2secs
6. DOWN+2secs
7. Inflate lumbar+2secs.
8. Deflate lumbar+2secs
9. Extend thigh support+2secs.
10. Shrink thigh support+2secs.

I hope this helps. o_O

I want to share a simple solution if your seat memory/Comfort Settings suddenly goes away.

The seat memory settings disappeared. The red light on the Set button did not turn red when I tried to reset the seat. I shut the car off, got out, waited 10 minutes, no change. I let the car sit over night and still no change.

After searching the data base here I didn't find a solution. Then I went to Planet-9 where I am also a member, entered my seat memory loss question and up popped this simple answer.

With engine running:
1. Lower seat all the way, raise seat all the way.
2. Move seat all the way forward, move seat all the way backwards.

That's it. It worked for me and most of the people on P-9. My Service Advisor told me it had to be reset by computer. Not so much. Saved me a 53 mile trip to the dealer. Hope this helps someone.
Hi, I see that a lot of people have recommended this. But I tried this multiple times on my Macan but it just doesn't work. Could I be doing anything wrong?

I just experienced this phenomenon today. I have the 18-way seats and all I had to do is move extreme back then extreme front followed by extreme up to extreme down. Memory and comfort adjust came right back up. Thanks all for the info.

just bought this gts. When the car is turned off the driver seat automatically slides back. I have set my seat via button 1. When I get in the car and start it it does not return to position one. My cayenne returns to the set position when the car is started. Am I missing to do something here?

just bought this gts. When the car is turned off the driver seat automatically slides back. I have set my seat via button 1. When I get in the car and start it it does not return to position one. My cayenne returns to the set position when the car is started. Am I missing to do something here?
This is obviously a used car. Why don't you clear the programs back to default and start over with each key. Use the MFD and save each adjustment to what you chose to be your number 1 key and after that have the second person do so as well to key 2. The slide back was a comfort setting and will go away until it is reset. .

61 - 80 of 107 Posts