Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never use anything on my new Macans body, other than a hand wash. But I have a gas powered 3400psi pressure washer with many tips for various strengths of spray. The brake dust on my silver wheels is bad and I can't reach in there to clean internally. Would it be safe to use my pressure cleaner at a wide angle pressure to get them nice and clean? I can put some Mr.Pink in the soap dispenser on it too for apply foam prior to rinse. Thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are the wheels painted? Even if they aren’t, I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting something that powerful on the wheels. I try to aim for 1000 psi with 1.9+ gpm flow for anything that’s going to be on the paint/wheels, that way I never have to stress about potential damage, yet it is still effective in removing brake dust/bug splats/etc.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I'd never use anything on my new Macans body, other than a hand wash. But I have a gas powered 3400psi pressure washer with many tips for various strengths of spray. The brake dust on my silver wheels is bad and I can't reach in there to clean internally. Would it be safe to use my pressure cleaner at a wide angle pressure to get them nice and clean? I can put some Mr.Pink in the soap dispenser on it too for apply foam prior to rinse. Thoughts?
In my opinion the pressure washer you have could cau damage. I have a washer of equal power for washing my pool deck and concrete drive. I only use the fan tip for these at a distance. Purchase a wheel brush to reach inside the barrel of the wheel and hand wash or as the other responder states buy a lower powered washer. The brush like thsee Long-Reach Wheel Scrubber Brushes, Set of 3 is what I use along with hand wash.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Reactions: TarponTom

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
'break' is not the same as 'brake'. The first is used in Portland/Seattle and the second is used in stopping cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with everyone else about the risk of damage. You're better off with a tool that can get into the barrels to clean. I've been using the large size EZ Detail Brush for the Macan and it works well. The Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat seems like a great option as well, but I haven't personally tried it.

If you're hand-washing you might consider a good electric pressure washer setup. LIke @mvc said, 1000 psi or so at a high flow rate is ideal for car washing.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'd never use a power washer on any part of my vehicles.

What wheels are on your Macan? I have the most difficult Porsche wheels to clean (matt black 20" Spyders), and with the right tools, I have no problem getting every nook & cranny....even the inside of the rims...

Reactions: DocJay

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I’ve been using a pressure washer to do a quick ‘rinse’ on my ceramic coated Macan from about 5’ away. For the 20” Spyders, I get in close. No problems to date two years in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i wash my macan with a pressure washer/foam cannon 2 times a week, no issues. just dont be a dummy and use the >25 deg nozzle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use pressure washer only when needed, for brake dust you can buy Iron-x or similar product it will allow to dissolve the brake dust and no need to apply pressure water

·
Registered
159 Posts
professional detailers around the world use pressure washers. not sure why everyone is saying dont use rthem lol. you guys are crazy

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
162 Posts
professional detailers around the world use pressure washers. not sure why everyone is saying dont use rthem lol. you guys are crazy
Well, call me crazy because I wouldn't do it. :)

If you can't get all the spots with a wheel brush, a pressure washer isn't going to help much. You need to make direct contact with the high pressure spray to remove the brake dust - obstructed areas will still be missed. It's likely to be more time consuming than doing your best with the brushes others have recommended.

@TarponTom, try not to obsess about it and just do your best. Your Macan is still so new but in all likelihood, six months or a year from now you'll be less concerned about the appearance but still enjoying the drive.

Been there myself with every new car purchase.

·
Registered
2018 GTS
165 Posts
Or just switch to the 21" Sport Classic wheels I hated cleaning my RS wheels :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Exactly right. I use a Kranzle electric pressure washer and get up close and personal with the paint, wheels, you name it, and I've never had an issue.

A gas powered one that the OP is speaking of is another story. But for the wheels, as long as you stand back 5 or 10 feet, I don't see it doing any harm.

But do yourself a favor and buy an electric one. So much easier to use, not on when you are not spraying, and a lot gentler yet gets the job done. Check out obsessedgarage.com and you will see many choices along with the wands, fittings, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another vote for "Wheel Woolies". With Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. But always on the lookout for new and better wheel cleaners.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In my opinion the pressure washer you have could cau damage. I have a washer of equal power for washing my pool deck and concrete drive. I only use the fan tip for these at a distance. Purchase a wheel brush to reach inside the barrel of the wheel and hand wash or as the other responder states buy a lower powered washer. The brush like thsee Long-Reach Wheel Scrubber Brushes, Set of 3 is what I use along with hand wash.
At a PORCHE track day, tech told me the best wheel and tire cleaner is simple green commercial
Been using ever since on MACAN and Boxster
And have the brush set

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
705 Posts
I'd never use a power washer on any part of my vehicles.

What wheels are on your Macan? I have the most difficult Porsche wheels to clean (matt black 20" Spyders), and with the right tools, I have no problem getting every nook & cranny....even the inside of the rims...

I love the wheel woolies but I still use a wide fan setting on an 800psi electric washer. If It doesn’t damage my hand a foot away, I’m not to fussed about it hurting my car. I have a 3500psi industrial one, and I would never take that near my car. I can write my name in wood with that thing.

For the OP, Putting a ceramic coat or polymer wax on your wheels will make cleaning them much easier, as well as using a wheel cleaner.

Biggest risk from a low power pressure washer isn’t finish, it’s electronics. You don’t want to introduce water into places nature won’t, like way up the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts