Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Folks, Frank just got back to me and quoted the following for the Porsche Safeguard warranty . No exclusions except for wear & tear and trim.

120 months / 100k miles
$100 (non disappearing) deductible : $6,345
$250 deductible : $5,567

There is no sales tax in MD

Warranty for 2017 Turbo is more expensive than GTS or S.
He used my VIN to verify.

Frank is ~$1,000 cheaper than Porsche Boston but Frank requires full payment (ouch!) where Porsche Boston has a 2 year payment plan. That privilege would cost me ~$42/mth :(

Decisions, decision.....(Jeopardy tune)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Those are very good prices, it seems to me. Nothing wrong with savings a few hundred clams; OTOH, nothing to get overly excited about, either.

As I noted in post 81 (page 5), I paid about $300 more for my 120 mo/100K mile/$250 deductible Safe-Guard policy, a few months ago, at my local dealership. And that dealership is not noted for bargains (as a search of my posts on 20K, 30K, and 40K service costs will reveal).

Also, for folks who decide to go with Safe-Guard and with its $100 --> $0 deductible, a reminder that this particular deductible "disappears" only when a claim is performed at the selling dealership. So if that's your choice of deductibles, here's a case where it may be of value to deal locally (assuming that a local dealership participates in the Porsche/Safe-Guard sales).

In my case, I decided to deal locally, even though I went with the $250-doesn't-matter-non-disappearing deductible. It wasn't that bad a quote, and -- rightly or wrongly -- I decided to let them make some money in the hopes of furtherance of good will. For instance, three-some years ago, I did NOT order our Macan from them, but by now I think I have a good relationship with the service department, at least.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
@wwahl, the Porsche Safeguard warranties start with the vehicle in-service date, not with the OEM warranty expiration date. With a 10 year extended warranty, you get an additional 6 years. I have two 84 month warranties; they expire 3 years after the factory warranty expires.
Here is a reply from Conshohocken:
Bill
There are 2 ways that safeguard (Porsche Branded calculates the service contracts. If the car is in warranty or out of warranty . As I told you in our phone conversation you would be purchasing the contract while the car is still under the new car warranty . That is why I asked you for the sales date . And I asked you how many additional years you wanted and miles. The warranty I quoted you was 108 months (9 years from the original in service date ) which is 5 additional years which is what you told me you wanted . That is why I told you it does not matter if you purchased the warranty now or January. This was designed specifically for Porsche clients that tend to not drive a lot. Miles are not a factor only if you were over 50000 which would void the new car warranty.
If you purchase the contract out of warranty by time or miles it is considerably more expensive and is based on the date of the warranty purchase and the miles you choose. I sell these every month . If you want to speak to me I am available everyday except Tuesday.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Those are very good prices, it seems to me. Nothing wrong with savings a few hundred clams; OTOH, nothing to get overly excited about, either.

As I noted in post 81 (page 5), I paid about $300 more for my 120 mo/100K mile/$250 deductible Safe-Guard policy, a few months ago, at my local dealership. And that dealership is not noted for bargains (as a search of my posts on 20K, 30K, and 40K service costs will reveal).

Also, for folks who decide to go with Safe-Guard and with its $100 --> $0 deductible, a reminder that this particular deductible "disappears" only when a claim is performed at the selling dealership. So if that's your choice of deductibles, here's a case where it may be of value to deal locally (assuming that a local dealership participates in the Porsche/Safe-Guard sales).

In my case, I decided to deal locally, even if I went with the $250-doesn't-matter-non-disappearing deductible. It wasn't that bad a quote, and -- rightly or wrongly -- I decided to let them make some money in the hopes of furtherance of good will. For instance, three-some years ago, I did NOT order our Macan from them, but by now I think I have a good relationship with the service department, at least.
I agree, the price is decent. My warranty expires end of Feb. i have 37k miles.
Effectively to I’m getting 6 years / 63k miles. Time and mileage will be close by expiry.
I believe it’s worth paying $1050/yr ($100 ded) especially if can get 2 years to pay it off.

I’ll ask Porsche Boston if they can match or how low they’ll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello - just purchased a 2015 Macan S - looking to purchase an extended warranty to try to protect me against large repairs. Is there a warranty company y'all have had great success and not have to fight when there is a claim? I am currently considering Fidelity and CarShield.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Porsche Boston matched Frank’s quote and the deductible disappears when serviced at PB. I bought the 10y/100k miles $100 ded for $6345.

Unfortunately, no payment plan available for the Porsche backed warranty. They offered a payment plan on a 3rd party warranty but not worth it for the small amount of savings (~$600). I have already been victimized by a warranty company bankruptcy 18 months into a 7 year plan - google warranty gold bankruptcy.

if anyone in the area is interested, I recommend contacting Yana F. She was good to deal with.

Below are the warranty document details. I haven’t read it all but there are some exclusions I’ll need to clarify. Like section 6 x

No benefit is provided for a Pre-existing Condition or a condition which existed prior to the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty.

Does that mean if I had a transfer case replaced while covered by the original factory warranty, transfer case issues are not covered under the extended warranty?

·
Registered
232 Posts
From earlier posts.

what dealer is the quote for Fidelity at the lower rate?
1) Fidelity Rates, But for Higher Mileage:

Troy Dietrich
413-773-5455

I got email quotes from Troy a little over a week ago, but because my '18 S has c. 40,000 miles, I slotted into the 35K - 45K range. Here are the quotes:

Fidelity Platinum w/ $250 deductible.
2 yr / 24K - $2776.00
3 yr / 36K - $4145.00
4 yr / 48K - $5586.00
4 yr / 60K - $5997.00
5 yr / 60K - $6734.00
6 yr / 60K - $7308.00
6 yr / 72K - $7639.00

Gold w/ $250 deductible.
2 yr / 24K - $2007.00
3 yr / 36K - $2662.00
4 yr / 48K - $3502.00
4 yr / 60K - $3743.00
5 yr / 60K - $4226.00
6 yr / 60K - $4465.00
6 yr / 72K - $4690.00

The years and mileage periods start at the time and mileage that one purchases the Fidelity policy.

After that first batch of quotes, I told Troy that I was interested only in the Platinum policy, and only for the maximum mileage -- because my wife and I average about 17,000 miles a year, and tend to keep cars for seven or eight years -- but that I was interested in a higher deductible. Here's what he then quoted me, i.e., for the Platinum "6 yr / 72K" policy, but with two additional deductible amounts:

$100 - $9017.00
$250 - $7639.00
$500 - $6151.00

Of course, I'll assume that the cost for @Wife'sPorsche, with 10K fewer miles, will be less than all of those prices. So I'm providing them merely for ballpark figures, i.e., if someone's interested in what they will not exceed.

Also, I wanted to point out that Fidelity does have different deductibles. I would not have known that, had I not ventured to ask Troy. Apparently, $250 is the default amount, and other amounts are not mentioned, unless you ask. To me, $250 sounds like too small an amount, and maybe even $500. I typically go with $1,000 deductibles on car insurance, for instance. What we're trying to protect against -- those of us who, rightly or foolishly, sleep better at night with an aftermarket warranty -- are very large repair bills, in the range of thousands of dollars. An unanticipated out-of-pocket $500 cost won't interrupt my sleep.

2) But, Suspension, etc.?:

As noted earlier in this thread, the Platinum policy does NOT include suspension components, and perhaps a few other goodies. (I noticed the suspension issue myself, comparing the web pages, but I was too lazy at the time to make an even more detailed analysis.)

That one item alone -- the shocks, and related items -- has me leaning toward Safe Guard, even if it may turn out to be a little more expensive. I still haven't gotten around to checking with my local dealership on this, to see if they offer the "Porsche" Safe-Guard policies, but I will one of these days.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So this is my final post to 'close out' my experience with a Safe-Guard warranty for my now departed '17 GTS. Due to covid production delays, I knew I would be w/o warranty for a few months before my '21 GTS arrived, so I purchased an 84 mos extended warranty (3 additional years) from Porsche Chandler, for $4021. The OEM warranty was within days of expiring. My new car arrived about 3 mos later, and I immediately cancelled the '17 warranty. I had one claim which was paid, but I don't even know the amount because the dealer handled everything. Today I received a refund check for $3580. Ask me how satisfied I am with a Porsche purchased Safe-Guard warranty. 😁 😁 We still have the Safe-Guard on my Wife's '15 S and will keep it until she trades for a Macan EV. Cheap peace of mind, IMO. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: HT99 and wspollack

·
Registered
423 Posts
Porsche Boston matched Frank’s quote and the deductible disappears when serviced at PB. I bought the 10y/100k miles $100 ded for $6345.

Unfortunately, no payment plan available for the Porsche backed warranty. They offered a payment plan on a 3rd party warranty but not worth it for the small amount of savings (~$600). I have already been victimized by a warranty company bankruptcy 18 months into a 7 year plan - google warranty gold bankruptcy.

if anyone in the area is interested, I recommend contacting Yana F. She was good to deal with.

Below are the warranty document details. I haven’t read it all but there are some exclusions I’ll need to clarify. Like section 6 x

No benefit is provided for a Pre-existing Condition or a condition which existed prior to the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty.

Does that mean if I had a transfer case replaced while covered by the original factory warranty, transfer case issues are not covered under the extended warranty?

I learned there is no such thing as a ”Porsche backed”warranty other than the CPO program. This warranty has nothing to do with the factory nor PCNA. The Warrantor is a company called Safe-Guard Products International LLC as shown in paragraph 2 of what you posted. It may say Porsche all over it but that does not mean squat if Safe-Guard becomes bankrupt. Not saying that’s going to happen, but some people here seem to think that the safeguard warranty is somehow more available because it is Porsche backed, when in fact it is not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I learned there is no such thing as a ”Porsche backed”warranty other than the CPO program. This warranty has nothing to do with the factory nor PCNA. The Warrantor is a company called Safe-Guard Products International LLC as shown in paragraph 2 of what you posted. It may say Porsche all over it but that does not mean squat if Safe-Guard becomes bankrupt. Not saying that’s going to happen, but some people here seem to think that the safeguard warranty is somehow more available because it is Porsche backed, when in fact it is not.
There are no total guarantees in life. I could be wrong here but to me it seems like the least risky bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
213 Posts
For those with Fidelity, do you know if the warranty is able to be refunded in a pro-rated fashion if for instance the car is totaled?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello - just purchased a 2015 Macan S - looking to purchase an extended warranty to try to protect me against large repairs. Is there a warranty company y'all have had great success and not have to fight when there is a claim? I am currently considering Fidelity and CarShield.
@mguerrero I"m with you. Curious on extended warranties after factory warranty. Looking to purchase 2015 macan s with 85K miles. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
@mguerrero I"m with you. Curious on extended warranties after factory warranty. Looking to purchase 2015 macan s with 85K miles. thank you in advance.
If you are not afraid of high mileage cars I would suggest to grab CPO Macan as they are very cheap from dealerships with this kind of mileage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you are not afraid of high mileage cars I would suggest to grab CPO Macan as they are very cheap from dealerships with this kind of mileage.
An interesting idea, but just remember the warranty is limited to only two years, and there’s no guarantee the car was actually inspected by the dealer as we have seen here on the forum repeatedly. Even with a CPO car you need to get an independent prepurchase inspection to make sure you understand what you are getting.

And if you plan to sell the car once the warranty expires, you need to realize how much less the car will be worth after two years with no warranty. On the other hand, your depreciation
would likely be far less then you would suffer in the first two years after buying something newer, and if it turns out the car is relatively trouble free during the warranty period, it might be sensible to just keep it and go naked after that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
An interesting idea, but just remember the warranty is limited to only two years, and there’s no guarantee the car was actually inspected by the dealer as we have seen here on the forum repeatedly. Even with a CPO car you need to get an independent prepurchase inspection to make sure you understand what you are getting.

And if you plan to sell the car once the warranty expires, you need to realize how much less the car will be worth after two years with no warranty. On the other hand, your depreciation
would likely be far less then you would suffer in the first two years after buying something newer, and if it turns out the car is relatively trouble free during the warranty period, it might be sensible to just keep it and go naked after that.
These are valid points and I am with you on PPI for CPO. On the other hand, dealers sell high 85k mileage cars for cheap and don't hesitate to make them CPO. I can only imagine how much one will have to pay for warranty on Macan S with 85k miles on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are valid points and I am with you on PPI for CPO. On the other hand, dealers sell high 85k mileage cars for cheap and don't hesitate to make them CPO. I can only imagine how much one will have to pay for warranty on Macan S with 85k miles on it.
thx for the replies.
yeah this car I love the features on it and finally found it after 1 year of looking. 85k miles from Mercedes dealer. 2018 just had timing cover done. Had 80mile service done at Porsche. Nov 2021 had transfer box replaced. I took it to PPI yesterday and found a small leak again on the timing chain cover. Out the door is $30k. My mechanic says “ leave it as is. A lot of timing chain covers leak and hope for recall”. I’m not worried about the timing chain leak but the pdk failing. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
371 Posts
thx for the replies.
yeah this car I love the features on it and finally found it after 1 year of looking. 85k miles from Mercedes dealer. 2018 just had timing cover done. Had 80mile service done at Porsche. Nov 2021 had transfer box replaced. I took it to PPI yesterday and found a small leak again on the timing chain cover. Out the door is $30k. My mechanic says “ leave it as is. A lot of timing chain covers leak and hope for recall”. I’m not worried about the timing chain leak but the pdk failing. Your thoughts?
My thoughts is not to touch this with 6 feet pole. I bought mine CPO with 50k miles and would have already had to spend $15k out of pocket. Well, I wouldn't spent that much because I wouldn't do the TCC leak out of my pocket and would just DIY the rest but you get where I am heading.

If you can only afford to buy a porsche with a leak out of warranty i would definitely stay away from porsche altogether.

·
Registered
13 Posts
good point. Reading a lot here amazing how many people have the timing cover leak. Even after the repair. Why coverage is important. Will continue to shop.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I’m not worried about the timing chain leak but the pdk failing.
Agreed on the leak. But why worried about the PDK? Does it have an unusually high failure rate versus other transmissions? Or is the dealer cost to replace instead of an indy rebuild?

121 - 140 of 154 Posts