Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Not saying you are wrong, but when I contacted Safeguard directly they told me in writing their warranties had to be bought from an authorized Porsche dealer only at the time of the new car sale.

No wonder there is so much confusion. If their own customer service people cannot accurately answer a basic question like that, what is it going to be like if and when I have a claim?

Think I am going to go with Fidelity or Axiom. They just seem to have their act together to a much greater extent. I do realize Safeguard sells Porsche branded warranties, but when you read the fine print you’ll see that Porsche is not backing these warranties at all.
Oh, okay then! Sounds like your conclusions are the right ones for you!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Why would you buy the coverage when you have 4 years of mfg warranty left?
I thought the answer is because the premium if less if you do so (although I would tend to wait as you did so long as the premium is not substantially higher).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I thought the answer is because the premium if less if you do so (although I would tend to wait as you did so long as the premium is not substantially higher).
You are right, the premium will increase as you drive your way through the mfg warranty. Dealers have considerable discretion in their pricing, however, so it's difficult to state with any certainty how much the premium will increase. There's lots of quotes posted on this and other threads, including my two cases. Only you can decide what's right for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Pricing on Porsche/Safe-Guard Protection Plan, Both Deductibles

For those interested, and as I asserted earlier in this thread, I finally got around to getting a quote from my local dealership (Porsche Clifton Park | New Porsche Dealership in Mechanicville, NY). Actually, I emailed the sales mgr. two weeks ago, but despite my asking for quotes on all (i.e., both) deductibles, he only returned quotes for one of them; I followed up this morning, and got what I was looking for.

This is the plan that is sold at, I gather, only some Porsche dealerships. It is offered by Porsche and underwritten by Safe-Guard (see policy, below). It takes effect after the factory warranty expires, and must be purchased any time before that occurs, and the lengths listed in the extended plan include the original warranty period (e.g., 120 months listed in the plan means an 60 additional months after the original factory warranty of 60 months, and the same thing for mileage).

Here are the prices:

View attachment 234005

View attachment 234006

I will probably go with the maximum one, i.e., 120 months or 100,000 miles. Pre-pandemic, my wife and I had been putting c. 17,000 miles per year on a car (we typically have only one car, and one motorcycle), pretty much like clockwork, for the last decade or so. And we typically keep cars for, oh, seven to ten years.

Deductibles:

As you can see at Porsche Protection Plan Products - Porsche USA (and then click on Porsche Vehicle Service Protection), there are two deductible options.

The first is $100, and if a service claim is performed at the selling dealership that changes to $0, what they call a disappearing deductible.

The second is $250, and does not disappear. I will probably be getting this one, because the price difference for that maximum length is $782. That means, compared to $0, that I would have to have four or more claims (4 X $250) before it would have been cheaper to get the $100/$0 plan. I hope not to use this at all, as it for peace of mind (and, yes, I know a lot of folks think this is silly, counterproductive, I should self-insure for prospective maintenance problems, and so forth, but we are not having that discussion now.)

Safe-Guard:

You can see in the very first paragraph of the policy (below), "INTRODUCTION AND PARTIES," that:

The obligations arising out of the Porsche Protection Plan Vehicle Service Protection vehicle service contract ("Agreement") are between Safe-Guard Products International, LLC ... and the Customer ...

That should answer that question, i.e., who's the underwriter.

The Policy:

As discussed already in this thread, the Safe-Guard Platinum plan seems to cover more parts of the car, e.g., the suspension, than the Fidelity plans. That's why I'm opting for the former.

If you want to read an actual policy, here's the one the dealership sent me. It's a 16-page PDF file, and includes those two pages of pricing information I've shown above (as JPG files).

I'll probably take care of this shortly -- our '18 Macan S has 43,000-something miles on it -- just to get it out of the way, avoid any price increases (although I don't have any indication of those), and given that our internet savings accounts aren't making much these days (as I said, I'm risk averse, so I don't play the markets and suchlike).

That's all I got.
THANKS FOR THE INFO
My 2018 S has 23K on it, warranty expirers in November.
will put on about 5 a year, based on all the T chain and oil leak issues I will be buying an extended warranty for sure.
The terms of the attached are the same as quoted above. Also in DC U have to pay full $ tax's on the total, no credit on a trade in. So the warranty transfers I will have a good chance to sell it myself for $1-3 K more then a trade in.

attached is the first quote from a dealer.
He tells me it is the same coverage as the original warranty.

Be safe everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INFO
My 2018 S has 23K on it, warranty expirers in November.
will put on about 5 a year, based on all the T chain and oil leak issues I will be buying an extended warranty for sure.
The terms of the attached are the same as quoted above. Also in DC U have to pay full $ tax's on the total, no credit on a trade in. So the warranty transfers I will have a good chance to sell it myself for $1-3 K more then a trade in.

attached is the first quote from a dealer.
He tells me it is the same coverage as the original warranty.

Be safe everyone!
STILL SHOPPING, JUST GOT A QUOTE OVER $250 LOWER

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I Told him i beat his first quote by a ton, i did
he came back with

120 mts/75K MILES $100 DED 5568
$250 DED 4979

JOHN STAPLETON
PORSCHE OF ARLINGTON VA
703-684-6660

I'm still shopping, but this looks good to me.
Darn right as I was quoted $6,729 for $250 deductible and $7,318 for $100 deductible from Autonation Porsche Bellevue for 120 months post OEM warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Darn right as I was quoted $6,729 for $250 deductible and $7,318 for $100 deductible from Autonation Porsche Bellevue for 120 months post OEM warranty.
Dosent matter where u buy the warranty
call him, that was a cut and paste from his e mail
thats 120 months from in service date
let me know
A

·
Registered
231 Posts
For certain I have this on my 'To Do List'.
Wwahl, any news?

My factory warranty expires end of Feb.
Porsche Boston gave me the same price as you for a 120m /100k miles with vanishing $100 deductible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
221 Posts
got an even better deal, really low
they R checking if it can be sold without the car being verified
stay tuned

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
$250 vs. $100, Don't Forget to Guess Frequency, and Do The Math:

I just thought I'd remind folks who are looking into Safe-Guard, and suggest that they not necessarily be so enamored of the $100-to-disappearing-deductible choice, vs. the $250-stays-$250 choice. Of course, this will depend on the price quotes you get.

To elaborate, and to save anyone the trouble of going back to post 72 (page 4), this is the relevant part of what I wrote about deductibles, shortly before purchasing my Safe-Guard policy (and I did in fact go with the $250):

The first is $100, and if a service claim is performed at the selling dealership that changes to $0, what they call a disappearing deductible.

The second is $250, and does not disappear. I will probably be getting this one, because the price difference for that maximum length is $782. That means, compared to $0, that I would have to have four or more claims (4 X $250) before it would have been cheaper to get the $100/$0 plan. I hope not to use this at all, as it for peace of mind (and, yes, I know a lot of folks think this is silly, counterproductive, I should self-insure for prospective maintenance problems, and so forth, but we are not having that discussion now.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Turbo has a lot of options and I already had LCA/LKA. AS, surround camera issues. With a $100 disappearing deductible instead of $250, I break even after 3 visits in 6 years. And if these option SW glitches reappear, I don’t have to think about is it worth paying $250 to fix these every time they break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Turbo has a lot of options and I already had LCA/LKA. AS, surround camera issues. With a $100 disappearing deductible instead of $250, I break even after 3 visits in 6 years. And if these option SW glitches reappear, I don’t have to think about is it worth paying $250 to fix these every time they break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
call Frank Greenstein
(410) 998-3424 direct
Porche Owing Mills for a really great $ on a PORCHE safeguard warranty
up to 120 months
im buying for my 2018 Macan and 2018 718 Boxster

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
call Frank Greenstein
(410) 998-3424 direct
Porche Owing Mills for a really great $ on a PORCHE safeguard warranty
up to 120 months
im buying for my 2018 Macan and 2018 718 Boxster
I am looking at a two day old quote of $5,454 for 120 months of add on Safe-Guard Porsche warranty for my '18 Macan S with 15,000 present miles on it that converts in Jan 2022. This is through Bob Palidora 484-684-1870 at Porsche Conshohocken where I bought my car. Add 6% sales tax

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am looking at a two day old quote of $5,454 for 120 months of add on Safe-Guard Porsche warranty for my '18 Macan S with 15,000 present miles on it that converts in Jan 2022. This is through Bob Palidora 484-684-1870 at Porsche Conshohocken where I bought my car. Add 6% sales tax
Frank will beat it

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Now I am looking at a $5,229 quote from Porsche Bellevue by Jared Juson for $250 deductible and 75,000 miles total for 120 months after the OEM warranty runs out. Better add S/T to this.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Now I am looking at a $5,229 quote from Porsche Bellevue by Jared Juson for $250 deductible and 75,000 miles total for 120 months after the OEM warranty runs out. Better add S/T to this.
@wwahl, the Porsche Safeguard warranties start with the vehicle in-service date, not with the OEM warranty expiration date. With a 10 year extended warranty, you get an additional 6 years. I have two 84 month warranties; they expire 3 years after the factory warranty expires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Folks, Frank just got back to me and quoted the following for the Porsche Safeguard warranty . No exclusions except for wear & tear and trim.

120 months / 100k miles
$100 (non disappearing) deductible : $6,345
$250 deductible : $5,567

There is no sales tax in MD

Warranty for 2017 Turbo is more expensive than GTS or S.
He used my VIN to verify.

Frank is ~$1,000 cheaper than Porsche Boston but Frank requires full payment (ouch!) where Porsche Boston has a 2 year payment plan. That privilege would cost me ~$42/mth :(

Decisions, decision.....(Jeopardy tune)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

101 - 120 of 154 Posts