Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and see that the Turbo has 17.x psi and the S has 14.5... are there other differences in the engine and tranny?

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Reactions: amelen

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Correct, an additional .6 liters of displacement on the turbo due to 10.5:1 compression ratio vs. 9.8:1 on the S. Also running a few more pounds of boost as your indicated.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There was another thread saying certain aspects of the Turbo was beefed up to accomdate the turbo. Structurally there seemed to be some difference. You'll have to search for the thread on this forum. And the Red Brake Calipers I think are standard with Turbo badges.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Difference between S and Turbo engines

I should sticky this somewhere:

Known by the internal code M4630, the 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo motor in the Macan S is a derivative of the M4660 motor first seen in the face-lifted Panamera last year, but with Macan-specific air-intake system and cylinder heads.
Its 2,997cc displacement comes from an over-square bore and stroke of 96.0 x 69.0mm, which gives the motor its smooth, free-revving character. While it has become fashionable to apply a longer stroke to modern engines for better torque characteristics, the resultant lower revving ability does not deliver the sporty character required of a Porsche motor.
In any case, whatever torque is lost by the mechanical advantage of a long stroke is easily made up for by the forced aspiration. With a 9.8:1 compression ratio, the 3.0 litre engine makes 340 hp between 5,500 and 6,500rpm, with 460 Nm of torque from 1,450 to 5,000rpm.
The specific output of 113.4 hp/litre is good, if a little modest for a high performance turbo motor, suggesting plenty of headroom for future upgrades, especially as this motor is significantly detuned from the Panamera S installation where it makes 420hp and 520Nm of torque.

That said, for long-term reliability as well as product differentiation, Porsche decided that the Turbo model should start life with a bigger engine. As 3.6 litres is a familiar displacement in the Porsche 911 flat-six engine family, it is no coincidence that the Macan V6 Turbo motor should also share these iconic numbers. With its longer throw crank and connecting rods, the 3,604cc M4635 engine derivative has a bore and stroke of 96.0 x 83.0mm, and ends up with exactly 4.0 cc more than the iconic 3,600cc 911 flat-six.
Running a higher compression ratio of 10.5:1, the inherently more torque rich motor produces 400hp at 6,000rpm with 550 Nm of torque between 1,350 and 5,500rpm. Once again in a very mild state of tune, its specific output of 110.9 hp/litre is even lower than its smaller stable mate. This motor should be capable of an easy 500hp with 650Nm of torque, but that would no doubt send the marketing department into a tizzy.

Source: http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/02/26/2015-porsche-macan-s-vs-macan-diesel-vs-macan-turbo-review/

This is still one of the best technical articles out there on the Macan.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ok, I've been curious about this for some time, so any insight is welcome....

Power is generally determined by several factors including, but not limited to, displacement, intake/exhaust efficiency, compression ratio, and super-atmospheric boost.

So given that start with the "S". 3.0L. 340 HP

If you go up to the "Turbo" you've got 3.6L, a full 20% more displacement.
With all else being equal, you would think this would result in a power range of about 408 (340 x 1.2).

But, in addition the Turbo has a higher compression ratio (9.8 vs 10.5 : 1). and runs more boost (1.0 vs 1.2 BAR). It would seem the combination of these 3 factors alone (displacement, CR, and Boost) would put the turbo significantly above 20% more powerful yet it doesn't quite even achieve 20% more.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, I've been curious about this for some time, so any insight is welcome....

Power is generally determined by several factors including, but not limited to, displacement, intake/exhaust efficiency, compression ratio, and super-atmospheric boost.

So given that start with the "S". 3.0L. 340 HP

If you go up to the "Turbo" you've got 3.6L, a full 20% more displacement.
With all else being equal, you would think this would result in a power range of about 408 (340 x 1.2).

But, in addition the Turbo has a higher compression ratio (9.8 vs 10.5 : 1). and runs more boost (1.0 vs 1.2 BAR). It would seem the combination of these 3 factors alone (displacement, CR, and Boost) would put the turbo significantly above 20% more powerful yet it doesn't quite even achieve 20% more.

What am I missing?

You are not missing anything, Porsche sets the power where they want it, there is plenty more potential in both the S and the turbo engines but they leave room for the next year model to get a power bump without anything more than coding. The same 3.0 engine in the Pana S makes 420 hp with the same compression but more boost.
That's whats great about a turbo engine, you can tune it to make whatever power and torque outputs you want pretty easy. The bigger 3.6 makes more lowend torque off boost and helps get things moving quicker.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the Cayenne GTS makes 440hp ... it has to given the price premium this model charges. Therefore, with the proper tune, everyone is already suggesting the 3.6L can potentially produce near 480-500 hp on the upper limit. But obviously Porsche cannot do this on the factory setting on the Macan Turbo as there will be lots of upset customers who are paying $150,000 for the Cayenne Turbo

·
Registered
956 Posts
Might be missing that the Audi-sourced transmission could well be a limiting factor in how much torque they can let the engine produce. HP = (TQ x rpm)/5250. So the power is capped as a side effect of the (apparent) need to limit torque. FWIW Audi lets this engine run to 450hp in the new S6 but still caps torque at the same 406lb-ft.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The transmition in the Macan is not a audi tranny, it's a porsche tranny, a quick google search will show this. One of the board members spoke of the turbo having different parts inside than the S model, so I am not sure this will be the limiting factor when retuning the turbo model.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The transmition in the Macan is not a audi tranny, it's a porsche tranny, a quick google search will show this. One of the board members spoke of the turbo having different parts inside than the S model, so I am not sure this will be the limiting factor when retuning the turbo model.
Well maybe try a quick forum search next time.
The PDK is from Audi with a few Porsche tweaks, the turbo has - according to @England - a reworked clutch.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
the Cayenne GTS makes 440hp ... it has to given the price premium this model charges. Therefore, with the proper tune, everyone is already suggesting the 3.6L can potentially produce near 480-500 hp on the upper limit. But obviously Porsche cannot do this on the factory setting on the Macan Turbo as there will be lots of upset customers who are paying $150,000 for the Cayenne Turbo
I don't think this is the only reason . Porsche has to offer a 4 year 50K mi warranty and with this being the first SUV having PDK they may have considered the cost of a warranty covered transmission replacement .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well maybe try a quick forum search next time.
The PDK is from Audi with a few Porsche tweaks, the turbo has - according to @England - a reworked clutch.
Please link this as I am not finding it, would love to see what is said and how it differs from everything I am finding on the Internet concerning ZF design and production..
Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just Google "Audi S6 tech data" and find the trans. specs. Then do the same for the Porsche. Same gear ratios for every cog and everything. It is the same transmission. Anyone who thinks this gearbox is "the" Porsche PDK is wrong.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Until proven otherwise, I am operating under the assumption that Porsche's 'modification' program for this corporate gearbox consisted of slapping a Porsche part number on it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Until proven otherwise, I am operating under the assumption that Porsche's 'modification' program for this corporate gearbox consisted of slapping a Porsche part number on it.
And doubling the price.

Reactions: d13kim

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
What am I missing?
They always leave headroom in the engines. The increased power can come from different software, different intake. Take a look at the 981S vs 981GTS vs 991 HP differences. Same engine. Where does the HP come from? This is heavily discussed.

Look at the 991S engine vs X51 option. Polished heads, software, different cam. They could have given every 991S the extra HP, but instead choose to charge you $17K more (or buy a GTS model).

Its all the same thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts