Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
I bought a 2016 Turbo sight unseen, flew 1000 miles to get it, drove it home and it is incredible. Best $68K I have ever spent on a car. This was a $95K car and had only 11K miles.
Now that’s a great buy! Was it a Porsche dealer, other dealer, or private sale?

Wow @K-A, you certainly brightened my day! But you're right, PCMs will be kaput; we'll each have our own personal cloud hovering near the forward headliner, invisible until we glance at it and draw down our selected app with our eyes.:eek:
LOL. Indeed. We're at a moment in automotive history right now where these are very likely the last of the gas cars, and soon near the last of the us-driving cars.

Buying for tech resale is like choosing between an iPhone 7 or 8 right now due to how they'll hold on the used market when the iPhone 20 rolls around.

How a car drives and feels will make a big difference in the future. To anyone paying attention, cars like E39 BMW M5's and the like are already starting to appreciate greatly, due to the novelty of them being PRE-computers on wheels. That likely won't happen to a mass produced Macan (maybe to some?), but these are gas cars that we drive ourselves and don't use Minority Report hand gestures to navigate around. Old PCM, new PCM, you won't even be able to tell which is older or newer in 10 years.

Like I've said before. I got a very healthy price for my 2015 Macan, no Nav, old PCM, no extensive creature comforts, nobody really cared. Cars like these will always be about how it looks, what model it is, what brand its from, condition, mileage, and the basic necessities. Don't buy CarPlay because it'll fetch more on the used market (it won't, you'll only lose money on it), do it if it's something that will increase your experience with your car.

Reactions: Hokie
I had never test drove a turbo. Only an "S" once for 10 minutes and that was a year ago. I bought a 2016 Turbo sight unseen, flew 1000 miles to get it, drove it home and it is incredible. Best $68K I have ever spent on a car. 20" spyders seem to be a sweet spot for traction /comfort. I love them. Sports car with a trailer hitch. What could be better? Plus, someone else took the depreciation hit. This was a $95K car and had only 11K miles.
This is a very different market from Australia (where the Op lives) . New car availability , used car selection, prices of both, the ease of buying,trading selling can not be compared between these regions .

Just for the heck of it look at a typical Porsche dealership in Australia . In Sydney (for example) they lack any new Macan cars , used prices are higher , its just a totally different ball game to own this type of vehicle. In order to get it right means that a different approach has to go into the purchase.

Cobb

Forgive me if I sound naive, but with only about 20HP difference between my Macan S and the Macan GTS, is it possible that I could pick up the HP difference with just a chip or tune? just curious.
There’s more than a 20 hp difference. GTS has different brakes,air suspension and facia. If you are just looking at using the hp Cobb offers a great ECU that will mimic the GTS or even greater. Check the Cobb threads.;)

Forgive me if I sound naive, but with only about 20HP difference between my Macan S and the Macan GTS, is it possible that I could pick up the HP difference with just a chip or tune? just curious.
A Cobb tune will mimic the extra power of a GTS. To mimic GTS handling, you can get air suspension and re-program it to a lower ride height; or retrofit OEM GTS springs on a steel suspension with PASM.

Yes but I would suggest that if you do not have a Macan then go straight to the model you want.

The GTS is not just extra power and reworked suspension, there are a lot of internal system tweaks and better brakes included hence simply tuning an S will still not give a car as good as the GTS.

Reactions: windblow
Yes but I would suggest that if you do not have a Macan then go straight to the model you want.

The GTS is not just extra power and reworked suspension, there are a lot of internal system tweaks and better brakes included hence simply tuning an S will still not give a car as good as the GTS.
100% agree on this. You can make the extra power with the tune, but it's not going to equal to the GTS. You'd spend as much on other mods to upgrade suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust and still not get the look or the resale value of the GTS. And you still don't get the up-rated clutch pack. Go for the GTS instead.

Reactions: synergize
This is a very different market from Australia (where the Op lives) . New car availability , used car selection, prices of both, the ease of buying,trading selling can not be compared between these regions .

Just for the heck of it look at a typical Porsche dealership in Australia . In Sydney (for example) they lack any new Macan cars , used prices are higher , its just a totally different ball game to own this type of vehicle. In order to get it right means that a different approach has to go into the purchase.
Yes I agree. I am in Australia and our dealers don't have large numbers of Macans in stock, they are usually only used or demonstrators. I bought a new GTS for less than the used price (for a comparable spec). People are still charging / paying a premium to avoid the wait.

I bought my 2018 GTS in October this year after driving an S, GTS and Turbo. Turbo has great power, but the GTS was the car for me, in Australia it comes standard with a lot of equipment which the Turbo doesn't have such as sports exhaust which is about $6000 option. My car is currently on the water, I have been tracking the ship! I am looking forward to January delivery.

Can I ask if you got the GTS with air suspension and if so how comfortable is it in comfort mode compared to an S in comfort with PASM only ? Also is the GTS as quiet as the S with sports exhaust off ?

I have to drive long distances on freeways for work but would like to drive in a sporty manner on weekends.

Thanks.

Can I ask if you got the GTS with air suspension and if so how comfortable is it in comfort mode compared to an S in comfort with PASM only ? Also is the GTS as quiet as the S with sports exhaust off ?

I have to drive long distances on freeways for work but would like to drive in a sporty manner on weekends.

Thanks.
Compared to my 2018 S with 21" 911 turbo wheels, my hubby's 2018 GTS on 20" wheels drives smoother. There are 3 levels of air suspension on the GTS and when in max tightness, then feeling the bumps in the road is similar between the S and GTS. As for the GTS exhaust, when off it seems just like my S and when it is on, the exhaust sound is pleasantly / sporty more noticeable but has NO interior cabin drone at all. Hope this helps.

To add, while the S (loaded with options and 21" wheels, I like them big) is perfect for me, the GTS is certainly more my husband's style and was worth what came to an additional 5k compared to a similarly equipped S.

I have 21" 911 turbo wheels on my Macan Turbo with air suspension and have found that tire air pressures plays a big role in comfort.
Same here with my 21 inch Sport Classics and AS. I have never had a vehicle before we are a mere 3 pound change in tire pressure is so noticeable.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.