Porsche Macan Forum banner

Rustproofing (Krown etc) Porsche Daily Driver

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fooit 
#1 ·
Anyone thinking about rustproofing their Macan here in Canada?

Not sure if I'm interested in someone drilling into my body panels. Maybe just undercarriage?

I do see them do some really good galvanizing on their 911 bodies in one of their production videos so I'm not sure if this is much of a concern...

Anyone have any experience with Porsches made from the same factory and rust on a year-round vehicle? Old Cayennes/Panameras?

The paint shop - Porsche Leipzig GmbH
1. Preparation for electrophoretic coating
Prior to receiving its first paint coat, the body is subjected to an intensive preparation process. To guarantee metallic purity of the surface, lubricants, polish and other interfering substances are removed. This is followed by a phosphate coating process during which a zinc phosphate solution is applied to the sheet steel. This guarantees optimum adhesion of the corrosion protection which is subsequently applied. To prevent air bubbles from forming in cavities, resulting in uncoated areas, the body is turned by 360 degrees in the basin. In addition, the phosphate coating is consolidated during a subsequent follow-up treatment.

2. Electrophoretic coating
Electrophoretic coating is an electro-chemical process chiefly used for corrosion protection. During the coating process the body is dipped for 5 minutes into a basin, which is filled with electrophoretic dip paint and deionized water. To achieve optimal coverage of the body, it is turned around on its own axis in the basin.

For the paint to set on the vehicle body during the electro-chemical process, it must be negatively charged. The vehicle body then serves as a cathode. The dialysis cells attached to the sides of the basin function as anodes (counter electrode). If an electric current is applied to the basin, the paint settles automatically on the body because it consists of positively charged particles.

The result of the electrophoretic coating process is an especially smooth and uniform coat of paint on the metal surfaces and in the cavities. Having re-emerged from the basin, the body is dried at 175° C for 50 minutes.

there's lots of science here... must be good!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.