Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello guys,

i have recently started to feel some vibrations on my 2.0 base Macan when idling AND when accelerating on low rpms. connected my launch x431 to check for any faults but there aren't any, no misfires, no engine fault codes, nothing.

i still went ahead and replaced ALL the spark plugs, still rough idling
i went ahead and replaced ALL the coils, still rough idling
i went ahead and REMOVED the Alpha air filter to see if it changes anything, still rough idling (although i saw a considerable amount of dust in the air intake pipe, i don't think these filters work well enough, i'll stick to factory paper filters from now on)
i unplugged the MAP sensor to see if there would be any changes but nothing changed

i wanted to check and see if the MAF sensor is causing any issues but funny thing is I COULD NOT FIND A MAF SENSOR on the intake pipe, am I blind or is this car working w/o a MAF sensor?

I am open for suggestions. I am thinking that injectors might be at fault here but it is a very difficult and costly task for me to replace them all, given that I do not know which cylinder is causing the vibration here.

Share your experiences please, thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Might be the dreaded transfer case issue. Before I had mine replaced, I had rough idle/vibration/ especially when reversing. Also, issues with the gears getting up to RPMs in the lower gears, took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty. No issues now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be the dreaded transfer case issue. Before I had mine replaced, I had rough idle/vibration/ especially when reversing. Also, issues with the gears getting up to RPMs in the lower gears, took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty. No issues now.
How did you manage to convince your dealership that it is transfer case related? The ones here are really shitty when it comes to diagnosing faults

·
Registered
200 Posts
How did you manage to convince your dealership that it is transfer case related? The ones here are really shitty when it comes to diagnosing faults
I just said I think it’s the transfer case. Lol My dealership is amazing. I had one headlight that had spiderweb cracking, and they replaced both no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not an expert on those 4 cylinder engines but I remember a guy at the shop fighting something like you describe and it was the plug for the old dip stick tube o-ring cracked that created a major air leak, also check for air leaks around the whole intake.
Those engines probably work with MAP instead of MAF but I'm not 100% sure.
Disregard the transfer case in your car, if the fault happens with the car stationary and the engine idling the transfer case has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine mounts are checked. I doubt that it’s the transfer case as the rough idle is there when the gearbox is in P, N or D.
The dipstick plug theory sounds interesting, will check it first thing in the morning.
I am suspecting that the injectors may be clogged, any chances that could be why? If so, is it a DIY job to clean them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You spent a lot of cash for those coils. Trust me, the car will pull a code if any of them go bad.
Hopefully it's something simple like that dipstick gasket

·
Registered
320 Posts
Injectors can be diagnosed looking at the plugs, the color of the spark plug talks about the injector performance, now a leaky injector causes a longer cranking time and probably some black smoke when re starting the engine after an hour or two since stopped.
If that does not happen then the injectors should be ok

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, i have some updates. i have cleaned the variable camshaft valves on the engine (make sure you have the proper removal tool other wise it is simply "impossible") but it did not make any changes.

i have checked for vacuum leaks, as a matter of fact, i tried to open the oil cap when the engine was running and it threw error messages when i did that, so it's safe to say that there are built-in fault codes for any kind of vacuum leak, so vacuum leak is out of the question here.

i have an appointment with the dealership on Monday but would like to solve it by myself if possible to avoid getting ripped off.

More importantly, I actually did go to the local dealership when these first occurred and they hooked my macan up to the PIWIS and said that there are no faults and there is nothing much that they can do at that point. It's sad to see how these dealerships are losing valuable technicians that understand the issues just by listening to the engine sounds...

Anyways, I am open for more suggestions guys, throw it in...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i also started to feel more vibrations between 1000-2200 rpm range and when I engage the sport plus mode those vibrations tend to disappear

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
Why is everyone pointing to complicated issues? :rolleyes:

Something as simple as water contaminated fuel will cause rough idling/running, though it would seem
reasonable it would also generate some misfire error codes. Water doesn't burn too well when exposed to a spark.

Try adding some product to mix with and/or absorb any water which may be present in the fuel tank
and see what effect that has on your issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i doubt that i have water in the tank as i've gone thru at least 3 tanks since the issue first appeared.
i have also been adding liqui moly injector cleaner for the past 3 fill ups beforehand, so i think i can cross out the water issue. also, i have experience with water being pumped up to my tank and it is really nothing that puts you in doubt, your car immediately tells you that it's upset to the point that it's not going to deal with it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts