Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early yesterday morning, I clamped the cross bars onto the roof rails per the procedure in the owner's manual and using the supplied torque wrench as I've done several times before. However, this time I heard a noise I hadn't heard previously. It sounded like moving foam rubber. It was before sunrise in dim light, I couldn't see any problem, and the setup felt very solid. So I loaded the kayak carriers and kayaks onto the cross bars and drove to our paddling destination. Then in the sunlight, I noticed that both roof rails were cocked toward the middle of the car. The inner edge was touching the car roof, and the outer edge was about an eighth inch above the car roof with a foam rubber strip showing. Both roof rails had moved an equal amount.

I called the dealer, and we agreed after our paddle that I'd drive to the dealership for them to inspect.

The dealership took photos and said they'd send them to Porsche for evaluation. They also made a service appointment for next Tuesday. They said they're sure this is a warranty issue.

We drove home, removed the boats and cross bars from the roof rails. The rails have nearly returned to their original orientation. I wouldn't know they had moved just by looking. No damage or problem is evident.

I'll update when I learn more.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Someone else reported a similar problem previously I believe but I don't recall them posting a resolution. Try searching the forum or the UK Macan Owners Club forum. Hope they resolve it satisfactorily. Sounds like your dealership are treating it seriously which is good.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Could it be that the cross bars and a little too narrow and are pulling the rails together, thus lifting the outer edges, as they are tightened and carrying a load?

I haven't studied the rails in person, but from your photo it seems as though they are just glued down with adhesive strips? Perhaps they're being placed too far apart when installed?

I dunno - just speculating but very interested since we'll be using these for our roof box.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Early yesterday morning, I clamped the cross bars onto the roof rails per the procedure in the owner's manual and using the supplied torque wrench as I've done several times before. However, this time I heard a noise I hadn't heard previously. It sounded like moving foam rubber. It was before sunrise in dim light, I couldn't see any problem, and the setup felt very solid. So I loaded the kayak carriers and kayaks onto the cross bars and drove to our paddling destination. Then in the sunlight, I noticed that both roof rails were cocked toward the middle of the car. The inner edge was touching the car roof, and the outer edge was about an eighth inch above the car roof with a foam rubber strip showing. Both roof rails had moved an equal amount.

I called the dealer, and we agreed after our paddle that I'd drive to the dealership for them to inspect.

The dealership took photos and said they'd send them to Porsche for evaluation. They also made a service appointment for next Tuesday. They said they're sure this is a warranty issue.

We drove home, removed the boats and cross bars from the roof rails. The rails have nearly returned to their original orientation. I wouldn't know they had moved just by looking. No damage or problem is evident.

Your thoughts?
I do not know if this is pertinent to your situation, but the following post also had an issue with the roof rails.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/90841-factory-roof-rack-installation-problem.html

·
Registered
103 Posts
But you have used the cross bars before and this never happened in the past?

Definitely sounds like something that needs to be added to the delivery checklist. Please keep us posted on what your dealer and Porsche says.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tried my cross bars yet, but I do remember that my SA said that there was a front and rear bar and they are different.
Your SA is correct. One is a couple inches shorter than the other. They're clearly marked on the underside: Front/Rear and Left/Right.

Make sure you follow the owner's main manual instructions for "Fitting carrier bars" starting on page 240, including using the included torque wrench.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know if this is pertinent to your situation, but the following post also had an issue with the roof rails.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/90841-factory-roof-rack-installation-problem.html
Thanks for the link. For a successful installation, you need to follow the procedure listed in the manual starting on page 240.

In my case, I've installed the cross bars several times following the procedure without any issue. However this time using the same method, the rails canted inward. I'll update as soon as I learn more.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I noticed the inward cant as well. I really think the torque setting on the provided torque wrench is too high. I tried tightening it to what I thought was a reasonable amount by feel, and the rails did not move. When the rails DID cant inwards, they went right back and seemed solid when the tension is released...I never sought out the dealer for this, but I'm interested in your resolution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree with Spielzeug I believe the torque setting is too high. I had the same issue the first time I mounted mine. I thought someone had posted their dealer's response was to make them tight but not as tight as the torque wrench is set. Seems to work for me but I'm interested in what you find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As I have not used the crossbars yet, do they specify what the torque setting should be? And have you checked the tightness with a calibrated torque wrench? If you don't handle a torque wrench properly, it is very easy for it to become inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update from dealer

I gave our Macan (with our cross bars) to the dealer for evaluation today. Porsche instructed service to mount our cross bars on a different Macan. They used a new Sapphire blue Macan in their inventory, and they said the roof rails on the new car flexed similarly to what occurred with my vehicle. No further evaluation was performed, and they say:
"No repair is needed at this time."
The Service Manager told me they're considering this a design issue (not a defect), that I should continue to use the car as I normally would, and that I should report any further developments to them.

Has anyone else mounted the OEM cross bars on the roof rails and experienced sufficient roof rail flex where there are air gaps between the car top, foam tape, and the roof rails?
Enquiring minds want to know. :)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I have not used the crossbars yet, do they specify what the torque setting should be? And have you checked the tightness with a calibrated torque wrench? If you don't handle a torque wrench properly, it is very easy for it to become inaccurate.
The cross bars come with a torque wrench, which is calibrated for 8 newton-meters. There are arrows on either side of the wrench, and the torque is 8 Nm when the arrows are aligned. See the attached photo.
I haven't verified the torque with a different wrench.

Perhaps I should - I think I will - I know I will! :)
Thanks for the thoughts!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Has anyone else mounted the OEM cross bars on the roof rails and experienced sufficient roof rail flex where there are air gaps between the car top, foam tape, and the roof rails?
Thanks for discovering this and reporting back. We dont have our car yet, but will be using the factory bars and will keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave our Macan (with our cross bars) to the dealer for evaluation today. Porsche instructed service to mount our cross bars on a different Macan. They used a new Sapphire blue Macan in their inventory, and they said the roof rails on the new car flexed similarly to what occurred with my vehicle. No further evaluation was performed, and they say:
"No repair is needed at this time."
The Service Manager told me they're considering this a design issue (not a defect), that I should continue to use the car as I normally would, and that I should report any further developments to them.
My wife and I went tent camping in the Juniper Springs National Recreation Area. Great trip to one of the most beautiful clear water rivers in Florida ... however ... the cross bar saga continues. :(
Each cross bar has a pin which fits into a hole in the roof rail.
When I went to mount the cross bars, I discovered three of the four cross bar pins were missing ... apparently destroyed by the Porsche service rep. I believe he didn't correctly position the cross bars on the roof rail before torquing the cross bar bolts and mashed the pins. I informed the dealership of the problem, and then mounted the cross bars and kayaks.

Upon our return from 3 days of tent camping, I sent the dealership pictures of the damaged cross bars, and they are investigating. I assume they'll either repair or replace the damaged cross bars. More to come...
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sounds like a great trip; dare we hope for pics (in the appropriate thread)? Subscribed to find out what happens with the mashed/missing pins. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a great trip; dare we hope for pics (in the appropriate thread)? Subscribed to find out what happens with the mashed/missing pins. Good luck!
The dealership is replacing the cross bars. New ones are being shipped to me via UPS. :)
I'm attaching photos of the cross bar with intact pin and with mashed pin.

As for the Juniper Springs trip photos, I'll start a thread under Porsche Macan Pictures.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed the inward cant as well. I really think the torque setting on the provided torque wrench is too high. I tried tightening it to what I thought was a reasonable amount by feel, and the rails did not move. When the rails DID cant inwards, they went right back and seemed solid when the tension is released...I never sought out the dealer for this, but I'm interested in your resolution.
I also wonder about the torque wrench setting. I took the wrench to a bicycle shop and had the mechanic test it as compared to his torque wrench. The wrench is a #4 allen wrench, and the torque setting is 8 Newton-Meters. Both are commonly used on bicycles. His conclusion is that my wrench torque setting is reasonably close to 8 Newton-Meters.

I'd be interested to hear an analysis of your torque wrench setting.

Separately, the dealership is sending me a new set of cross bars because they damaged the original set during their evaluation. I'll report on whether the new cross bars make a difference when installed.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts