Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week or so ago, I embarked on road trip from New York to Acadia National Park in Maine, which was the first real long drive with my Macan S that is about three months old now. I drove close to 1,500 miles round trip, and hit the 2,000 mile mark on the first leg of the journey. I was so looking forward to the post break in period, but the car was weighted down with a kayak and cargo box on top, three bikes out back, plus wifey, kid and one labrador. Even though it was packed to the gills and aerodynamically challenged, the Macan handled superbly and still had excellent acceleration under the circumstances. It was a blast to take on this type of road trip. In terms of storage, as many of your know the cargo area is a on the tight side but if you are resourceful you can certainly make it work to haul all your gear and passengers comfortably. The kayak doubles as a storage for lightweight items such as life vests, carbon fiber paddles and bike helmets. The Yakima cargo box (that I have been using for several years now) tackles the heavier items such as the duffels. This was the first time using my new 1UP USA bike rack (that came recommended from folks on this forum), and I have to say it’s extremely well made and very solid (even at speed). I am very happy with this purchase, and I highly recommend it for those that are in the market for a hitch mount bike rack. I have seen way too many inferior hitch racks where the bikes are dangling about by the frame (which is not the way to go).

For those that are wondering, gas mileage for trip averaged 18.4 MPG, which is not too bad considering all of the extras I was carrying around. It was great to receive numerous compliments on the car from bystanders as I didn’t see any other Macan’s the entire trip. The cell phone mount that I recently made and shared on this forum, performed flawlessly. I am a recent Waze user and now I can’t drive anywhere without it. It also helped to point out a couple of speed traps along the way. Next thing on my list is to install a V1 for added protection. The car is going back to the dealer next week as my new PCM unit has arrived. I recently lost my satellite button and the dealer determined that the entire PCM unit needs to be replaced, so a new one was ordered from Germany (I was told the cost is $7,500 – thank goodness for warranty coverage). Other than that and a small rattle from the hatch lock area that I need to get looked at, I have no complaints and I just love driving it (now even more than ever since I can throw in sport mode and rev it up). This forum is great and a very valuable source of information to Macan owners and potential owners. Keep it up. Attached are some pictures from this incredible trip. Even the pup was smiling. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
As unhappy as the lab looked in picture 7, he seems to be having a ball in picture 8...

Great write-up!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Great summary. Also great color combo choice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
@quincydog -- Thanks for the great writeup! Your pictures are fantastic, I'm picturing our Macan configured in a similar manner for Colorado adventures!

We should be getting our Macan in the next couple of weeks -- just in time for an adventure over Labor Day Weekend.

What is the sling/hammock that you have in the back seat to protect the interior from your dog? Orvis?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Love it awesome pics I have a November delivery date and looking foward to a nice drive. Maybe catskills or Adirondacks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
SUPERB!! The family, the car, the trip, the pooch!! What it's all about!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful event... great photography, too!!

All the best!!

:):):)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@quincydog --

What is the sling/hammock that you have in the back seat to protect the interior from your dog? Orvis?

Thanks again!
I went with this pet seat cover from Amazon:

It fits perfectly and is of ample thickness to protect the seats. However, I made the mistake of opening the windows at above 15mph and all his hair that had shed in the back set became like a tornado around the cabin. No matter how much you try to protect the interior, transporting a (larger breed) dog creates a mess. Just one of things you either accept and live with it or never allow your pet in the car. When the rear hatch is empty, he fits nicely back there and causes less mess than sitting in the back seat. But sometimes (as was the case in my trip) you don't have that option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hot car!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
... However, I made the mistake of opening the windows at above 15mph and all his hair that had shed in the back set became like a tornado around the cabin. ....
I am laughing so hard right now -- with you, not at you, I promise. :laugh:

I am hoping the Macan will allow us, with enough patience and fiddling, to find the perfect combination of apertures (front/rear windows and pano) to just blow the dog hair outside at speed. It took me a while to find that perfect arrangement in my current DD (a Volvo 240 with hair-attracting cloth seats, ugh), but I did eventually find it. A microfiber blanket on the back seat has also proven helpful.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Great post and pics. Porsche might call you to incorporate your photos in their Macan sales brochure. Amazing Macan,from the track to the lake.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
So I own four dogs, two on the large size, 90 pounds and up, and two mini pups, under 15 pounds. So yes, I do love dogs. If I could, I'd own a hundred. If I won Lotto, I'd rescue every dog from every pound and build an amazing facility for them to live free and easy.

All that said, for me, I'm fortunate in that I own a number of cars and would NEVER allow my dogs to ride in my Macan. I took my yellow lab in my X5, which was a lease so I didn't care, and every time it took forever to get the hair out. It gets everywhere.

Nope, much as I love my doggies and doggies in general, they ain't stepping one paw in my Macan.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
About a week or so ago, I embarked on road trip from New York to Acadia National Park in Maine, which was the first real long drive with my Macan S that is about three months old now. I drove close to 1,500 miles round trip, and hit the 2,000 mile mark on the first leg of the journey. I was so looking forward to the post break in period, but the car was weighted down with a kayak and cargo box on top, three bikes out back, plus wifey, kid and one labrador. Even though it was packed to the gills and aerodynamically challenged, the Macan handled superbly and still had excellent acceleration under the circumstances. It was a blast to take on this type of road trip. In terms of storage, as many of your know the cargo area is a on the tight side but if you are resourceful you can certainly make it work to haul all your gear and passengers comfortably. The kayak doubles as a storage for lightweight items such as life vests, carbon fiber paddles and bike helmets. The Yakima cargo box (that I have been using for several years now) tackles the heavier items such as the duffels. This was the first time using my new 1UP USA bike rack (that came recommended from folks on this forum), and I have to say it’s extremely well made and very solid (even at speed). I am very happy with this purchase, and I highly recommend it for those that are in the market for a hitch mount bike rack. I have seen way too many inferior hitch racks where the bikes are dangling about by the frame (which is not the way to go).

For those that are wondering, gas mileage for trip averaged 18.4 MPG, which is not too bad considering all of the extras I was carrying around. It was great to receive numerous compliments on the car from bystanders as I didn’t see any other Macan’s the entire trip. The cell phone mount that I recently made and shared on this forum, performed flawlessly. I am a recent Waze user and now I can’t drive anywhere without it. It also helped to point out a couple of speed traps along the way. Next thing on my list is to install a V1 for added protection. The car is going back to the dealer next week as my new PCM unit has arrived. I recently lost my satellite button and the dealer determined that the entire PCM unit needs to be replaced, so a new one was ordered from Germany (I was told the cost is $7,500 – thank goodness for warranty coverage). Other than that and a small rattle from the hatch lock area that I need to get looked at, I have no complaints and I just love driving it (now even more than ever since I can throw in sport mode and rev it up). This forum is great and a very valuable source of information to Macan owners and potential owners. Keep it up. Attached are some pictures from this incredible trip. Even the pup was smiling. Enjoy!
Love your write up. My wife and I plan next week to make about a 1,000 mile trip with two kayaks on top and two bikes in our 1UpUsa hitch rack.

From your photos, it doesn't look like you used a bow or stern line for the boats. Is that correct?
What are your thoughts about using bow and stern lines?

With previous vehicles, I've always used bow and stern lines for additional safety. The Macan is different from past rides in that the roof transport system is much more sturdy with a higher weight rating, and there's no easy location to connect a bow line (except to the tow hook). (A stern line can be tied to the trailer hitch, as seen in the attached photo.)

My preference is to not use the bow and stern lines, and trust the integrity of the Porsche roof transport system. Your thoughts?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Love your write up. My wife and I plan next week to make about a 1,000 mile trip with two kayaks on top and two bikes in our 1UpUsa hitch rack.
Holy crap! That is one seriously attractive combo. The kayak is a fitting complement to your beautiful SB Macan!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
From your photos, it doesn't look like you used a bow or stern line for the boats. Is that correct?
What are your thoughts about using bow and stern lines?
You are correct, no bow or stern lines. I know all the Yakima and Thule instructions clearly say to use them, and I am sure they add stability and safety. But after close to two decades of transporting kayaks distances near and far (and at speed), I have had no issues with using just the two straps around the main cross bars. just make sure everything is nice and tight, use good quality straps (i.e. NRS) and you should be fine. If you want, you can use two straps for each cross bar, but that's probably overkill.

Your kayaks looks great on your car! Have an awesome trip. There will be times that you will forget that you have two boats up top and bikes out back. The car drives rock solid, even with all the gear.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
You are correct, no bow or stern lines. I know all the Yakima and Thule instructions clearly saw to use them, and I am sure they add stability and safety. But after close to two decades of transporting kayaks distances near and far (and at speed), I have had no issues with using just the two straps around the main cross bars. just make sure everything is nice and tight, use good quality straps (i.e. NRS) and you should be fine. If you want, you can use two straps for each cross bar, but that's probably overkill.

Your kayaks looks great on your car! Have an awesome trip. There will be times that you will forget that you have two boats up top and bikes out back. The car drives rock solid, even with all the gear.
Thanks for the info.
Do you limit your speed? For example, do you avoid Interstates?

Like you, we're using quality straps and J-Hooks. (We're using Thule.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts