Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the 20-inch RS Spyder wheels right now.

Using information from this post, I've inputted the specs from the stock wheels and the ones I'm looking at (they're private sale), specs on those are 20x10 +30mm ET 5x112.

Front : Setup
Rear : Setup

Now though my initial looks it seems like they will be okay. Just seeing if I could get a second opinion from someone who understands wheel setups more than me.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
For the front, the new rims would protrude 16mm (about 5/8") into the backspace, closer to the suspension components. I don't know if there's enough room for that or not, without using a spacer. I've read the backspace is fairly tight up front. It's also hard to know whether the spoke profile will clear the brake caliper.

For the rear, the rims would protrude into the backspace by 11mm. That's fine, as there is a lot of room back there. But it also means the wheel is sitting 11mm further in from the fender......less flush, in other words.

If you go with this setup, you might want to consider 10 - 15 mm spacers all around. That's an extra complication that I personally would prefer to avoid, but lots of folks do it.

You also might want to read about the trade-offs of running a square set-up. on the Macan, if you haven't already.

Square Setup?

Staggered wheels

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the front, the new rims would protrude 16mm (about 5/8") into the backspace, closer to the suspension components. I don't know if there's enough room for that or not, without using a spacer. I've read the backspace is fairly tight up front. It's also hard to know whether the spoke profile will clear the brake caliper.

For the rear, the rims would protrude into the backspace by 11mm. That's fine, as there is a lot of room back there. But it also means the wheel is sitting 11mm further in from the fender......less flush, in other words.

If you go with this setup, you might want to consider 10 - 15 mm spacers all around. That's an extra complication that I personally would prefer to avoid, but lots of folks do it.

You also might want to read about the trade-offs of running a square set-up. on the Macan, if you haven't already.

Square Setup?

Staggered wheels

Thanks for the comment. I definitely don't want the wheels to sit further in. Quite the opposite of that. It sounds like it would be more expensive to pickup the used rims, get spacers, extended bolts than just buying the proper sized rims.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The front wheels in this case would protrude 9mm out so I would say there's no need for front spacers. Although in this setup the 265 tire width has stretched to its max (in addition to the wheel crowding the backspace). A set of 20mm rear spacers are needed for the rear wheels to sit flush likewise similar to the front setup.

Like you, I also advise the OP not to do this set up.

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
Thanks for the comment. I definitely don't want the wheels to sit further in. Quite the opposite of that. It sounds like it would be more expensive to pickup the used rims, get spacers, extended bolts than just buying the proper sized rims.
Your best option would be to buy wheels that are known to be compatible for the Macan.
(Call the people at Tire Rack)

Messing about with aftermarket wheels, despite possibly being a 'good deal' could well end up
costing you even more $ - as you correctly observe. Spacers, longer wheel bolts, fiddling with tire
profiles and widths all to try and gain clearances with suspension and braking components, etc.

Does it seem worth the effort?

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
36 Posts
One of the of this forum members had posted the following website in another topic. Similar to what you used, but just in case you find it more helpful, here it is:

·
Registered
620 Posts
The front wheels in this case would protrude 9mm out so I would say there's no need for front spacers.

Like you, I also advise the OP not to do this set up.
The front wheels are an inch wider than stock so you get 1/2 inch (12mm) closer to strut + the offset difference of 4mm =16mm closer to the strut. Front strut space isn't large even with 9 inch front wheels. That's why you would need spacers but then the poke will be 9mm + spacer thickness which is going to be too much. It wouldn't look right. You should stick to 9 or 9.5 inch wide front wheel.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The front wheels are an inch wider than stock so you get 1/2 inch (12mm) closer to strut + the offset difference of 4mm =16mm closer to the strut. Front strut space isn't large even with 9 inch front wheels. That's why you would need spacers but then the poke will be 9mm + spacer thickness which is going to be too much. It wouldn't look right. You should stick to 9 or 9.5 inch wide front wheel.
At least there's something we both agreed on(y)

Reactions: muncie
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.