Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Porsche Macan
16 Posts
I certainly won’t be “crying a river “ for paying 2 grand over sticker for my wife’s Macan we picked up in September. We love the car and will most probably be keeping it for many years. And I can afford it. If they had insisted on the original 5 thousand dollar markup, we would’ve walked.

·
Premium Member
2022 GTS built 5/4/22
216 Posts
I certainly won’t be “crying a river “ for paying 2 grand over sticker for my wife’s Macan we picked up in September. We love the car and will most probably be keeping it for many years. And I can afford it. If they had insisted on the original 5 thousand dollar markup, we would’ve walked.
same here. We are paying MSRP for our GTS we ordered and we aren't going to be crying at all. We hope this will be the last SUV we purchase, so I really don't care what happens to resale values down the road as we will own it for a long time. We weren't going to wait a year or more for things to cool down regarding pricing (if they ever do), to buy a car.

Like Hammer, the money is not an issue for us and we would rather be enjoying our vehicle as soon as possible....

everyone's situation is different

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ouch. We got our 2021 gts for msrp in August 2021 and I felt like I got screwed
I think everyone loves a deal though there are two sides to this. I loved that I worked with a friend/broker and got a bit less than MSRP on my '21 GTS and I scrambled to make sure the guy (SA) at the dealership of record got the mini credit for the sale. That said the markup on these from the factory/PCNA is not a giant windfall. They only get x number of cars and only make so much off each. That leaves the other arm of the business doing service and parts to make up the rest. You want your new car to be well cared for at a twenty first century first rate facility with well trained mechanics and a full inventory of parts so how does that happen? I bet you want the car for dealer cost and free service for life, plus a Turbo loaner, car detailed while there, and a massage.

If you bought it (or leased) the proposition must have been ok, Enjoy your car and give it a rest. Finally, when I see egregious ADM I ponder as well who will pull the trigger on that? Not my problem.

Reactions: hammergjh

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well put . . . when the Speedsters brought a $100,000 ADM my neighbor quickly bought one for his daughter . . . as long as a buy exists . . . hurray for the dealer.

I do appreciate that dealers need to be sensitive to the folks who have bought 9 Porsches in the past as to not make them feel "screwed" as the dealer realizes these opportunities. It's just a "hey , we have 9 folks interested in 2 cars . . . one way to allocate the 2 cars is to set the price as a point where 7 bail out". I'd bail, by wife (who has had 9 Turbo variants) would not)

I'm kind looking, don't need, a car now and have simply tendered a deal and told them . . . "look, I've got 8 cars, need another like a kick in the shins . . but, just put this in the hopper. When you get to the point where it's possible, I'm a buyer",

I suspect it'll be 2024.

I'm in the same boat you were . . . it's not my problem. . . just a social and commercial phenomenon to observe.

That leaves the other arm of the business doing service and parts to make up the rest.
The shame here is that the evidence, albeit anecdotal, is pretty sketchy with regard to supporting the dealer network as the best place for service. My personal experiences . . were the first time I took it in . . . just to have Porsche Car Connect code entered . . they charged $100 for about 5 minutes it took to enter 6 numbers in the PCM. Good for them. I got a free cup of coffee and a Little Debbie mini-donut for "free".

The next time . . .when the piping for the rear window washer had fractured . . .they had the car for 13 days (loved the snappy Panamera loaner and got my fill of haptic) and the car was retuned absent some of the parts, pieces and rear package shelf. I made the 2 hour drive back the following week to collect the leftover parts after the service.

It my eyes . . it just makes the forum that more valuable. I just passed 50,000 miles and have done the rear brakes and keep having dealers tell me that the front at due every 15,000 miles . . but the local Indy . . who has an incredible reputation actually puts the car on a lift, pulls the wheel and shows me the remaining pad and unsecured rotor . . ."if you needed them, trust me, we'd do them and take your money". They'll get done in the next month . . . but didn't need done at 19,000 or at 35,000.

I have one dealer I have had decent dealings with but try to stay alert on each visit and also try to get a sense of what I am getting into.

I watched when that woman posted her quote here last year and all the prices of things, quoted from the dealer, were 2 and 3 times what you could but the Porsche OEM parts from Suncoast for. There is a reason that dealer service is the HUGE profit center . . so many folks simply drop their car off figuring "it is what it is" . . . while true . . .it's mostly true because the head in the sand folks allow and tolerate the practice. Dealers are not inherently bad . . we encourage and allow it.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
603 Posts
Only a moron for pay this !
...without trying to find a dealer who will sell at MSRP (or less) right?
Say your lease on whatever comes to an end, and you got $10K equity when returning it. However, you really want a Macan and can not find one for less than $7500 ADM over MSRP. What would you do? Current market conditions impact both sides of the deal. From a pure financial perspective, buy your lease and wait however if you get the Macan, you are still $2,500 ahead. These are not normal times.

Reactions: lyricgskills

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I think everyone loves a deal though there are two sides to this. I loved that I worked with a friend/broker and got a bit less than MSRP on my '21 GTS and I scrambled to make sure the guy (SA) at the dealership of record got the mini credit for the sale. That said the markup on these from the factory/PCNA is not a giant windfall. They only get x number of cars and only make so much off each. That leaves the other arm of the business doing service and parts to make up the rest. You want your new car to be well cared for at a twenty first century first rate facility with well trained mechanics and a full inventory of parts so how does that happen? I bet you want the car for dealer cost and free service for life, plus a Turbo loaner, car detailed while there, and a massage.
Agreed. Dealerships are trying to stay alive by charging ADM on popular new vehicles because of reduced new car allotments due to COVID-19. I still refuse to pay more than MSRP though on principle....not on a Macan, nor a Rolex.

Porsche on the other hand is still making money hand over fist....even in a pandemic....

"Porsche succeeds despite the global semiconductor crisis: the Stuttgart-based sports car manufacturer achieved a return on sales of 15.5 percent at the end of the third quarter of 2021....which means Porsche remains one of the most profitable car makers in the world "

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Just wanted to give an update, since I was the one who started the thread.
I have talked to 3 more dealers since then and none of them have asked for an ADM; one of them actually is offering a (very slight) discount. So maybe that was an exception rather than the norm. Maybe the other dealer just didn't want to deal with an out of state sale.
Anyway, to make a long story short... I might be the owner of a Gentian Blue Macan by the end of March.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have talked to 3 more dealers since then and none of them have asked for an ADM; one of them actually is offering a (very slight) discount. So maybe that was an exception rather than the norm. Maybe the other dealer just didn't want to deal with an out of state sale.
Anyway, to make a long story short... I might be the owner of a Gentian Blue Macan by the end of March.
awesome. Good luck. I might be biased but I think gentian is one of the best colors for 2022 :)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
That's great news, congrats!

I take it you don't live in the N.E. because I can't find a Porsche dealership in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that will sell at MSRP or less on a GTS.

Reactions: RedKloud

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
That's great news, congrats!

I take it you don't live in the N.E. because I can't find a Porsche dealership in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that will sell at MSRP or less on a GTS.
No I’m in the PNW… and this is just a base Macan. They are probably charging ADM on S and GTS here too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was actually being sarcastic. Msrp was fine by me. Cars in demand are never deals

If you bought it (or leased) the proposition must have been ok, Enjoy your car and give it a rest. Finally, when I see egregious ADM I ponder as well who will pull the trigger on that? Not my problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A friend of mine put in an order with deposit for a ‘22 GTS a month or two ago and got a call today that he can lock in the build. There was one hitch - the car would cost $13,000 USD more than the bill of sale for the same model year. When he ordered, he was assured that as long as it didn’t go into the 2023 MY, the price would be locked in. So he got the usual excuses - supply chain, COVID, Ukraine war, etc as the reason for the extra charge. He is so fed up that he is canceling the order. I would do the same.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I think it is shameful that either Porsche or the dealership tacked on a “BECAUSE WE CAN” fee.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts