Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just purchased a used Macan 2.0T. The car does not come with the Bose sound system (only standard is equipped), and as such is it actually possible to retrofit the Bose system? Has any forumer tried to request this from the Porsche dealership?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say it would be more cost effective and would achieve better results going aftermarket if you’re going to replace the system. The Bose does sound pretty good but anything aftermarket is going to sound better for less money, if chosen properly.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Shinka -- we look forward to seeing a couple of photos of your Macan.
I would say it would be more cost effective and would achieve better results going aftermarket if you’re going to replace the system. The Bose does sound pretty good but anything aftermarket is going to sound better for less money, if chosen properly.
^^This^^
I upgraded my standard CDR with Focal speakers all around + ARC Audio X2 600.4, which achieved my goal of enhanced fidelity/definition (wasn't interested in 50000 watts and condo-shaking bass). I have the option of adding Mosconi DSP later, but I am not sure I'll even need it
There are almost too many options. Depending on what part of the world you call home, get some local recommendations and go for it.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the very helpful replies, its much appreciated.

As the car is still under factory warranty, I am a little hesitant to go the aftermarket route. Is installing aftermarket speakers + a sub a relatively straightforward process? Or does it involve complex wiring, including the removal of door panels/dashboard?

Furthermore, if I am to purchase aftermarket speakers, it would be quite a challenge to look for speakers which are the same size as our default ones in the door panel (where I am from - Malaysia).

P.S: I have checked with Porsche and apparently they could not retrofit the Bose sound system as the system is factory installed only (it is not under the Tequipment retrofit options) - which makes me wonder about the complexity of actually installing third party speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
There are LOTS of threads on retro fitting the Bose speakers, with excellent results....look around a bit,.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Retrofitting Bose would be a very difficult challenge. One mod that is recommended, though, is simply to replace the front tweeters in the base setup with the rear tweeters taken from a Burmester spec car. This is a cost-effective upgrade that is easy to carry out. (and has no impact on warranty as (a) the mod is 'invisible' and (b) it is anyway a Porsche part).

I'm sure if you search on the Forum you'll come across some threads for this, including the relevant part numbers.

James

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bose came with mine, and my last car G-37 convertible. I’ve never been impressed with “no high no lows Bose”. I would love to rip my system out but I can’t fathom how much effort it might be with the Porsche head unit being so integrated into the car. Since it is not “horrible” I will leave my Bose and just accept it. However, in your case, simply upgrading the speakers may not be too bad. You *must* figure out the specs first. Current power going to speakers, ohms of the speakers, and dimensions of speakers. Understanding power supplied to current speakers will help you choose new ones so they are not over/underpowered. Ohms (resistance) same deal. However, meeting the first two criteria leads you to size. Even if the mounting hole size is correct, for example 5 1/4”, the depth can vary in the door. Crutchfield is usually a good resource, but when I toyed with ripping out my Bose they had very little to no data on the Macan. No matter how you do it, the door panels/trim will have to be removed to pull and replace the new/old speakers. Depending on your DIY level, you may need to use an audio shop.

·
Registered
2020 Macan Base
3 Posts
Hi all, just purchased a used Macan 2.0T. The car does not come with the Bose sound system (only standard is equipped), and as such is it actually possible to retrofit the Bose system? Has any forumer tried to request this from the Porsche dealership?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, thanks.

Did you end up getting anything done ? I am looking to do something similar for my 2020 with the base audio system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts