Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Behind the glovebox. It is a bit of a pain to pass through the cables from behind the PCM unit to behind the glovebox, but it was the best place. Good luck with your installation.

If you find a way to make the configurable button work to advance tracks, please let us know.

Very helpful, thanks!

My kit arrives tomorrow. I think I have most steps well understood. Actually bummed the custom button for next track doesn’t work, as I thought this would have been retained.

Where did you mount the additional box? Behind the glovebox or directly behind the pcm unit?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Behind the glovebox. It is a bit of a pain to pass through the cables from behind the PCM unit to behind the glovebox, but it was the best place. Good luck with your installation.

If you find a way to make the configurable button work to advance tracks, please let us know.
I finished my install a few days ago and have been working through some minor issues. Did you get the kit from NM Automotive or go straight to Unichip/Aliexpress etc?

Some of the issues are due to iOS 13.1. I've upgraded to 13.1.1 and the connectivity issues I were having are now gone. I do have two issues that remain though, when playing music via wireless carplay my sounds skips for milliseconds at a time, every 10-30 seconds. Nick at NM Automotive thinks this is an iOS issue as well. Have you had any issues with wireless carplay music? Switching to wired carplay has resolved this, but I'm hopeful this gets worked out at some point. Also do your PCM buttons for dial and hangup work? Do they bring up the phone carplay interface? My steering wheel controls work, since my phone is still connected to PCM bluetooth (not aux BT). But the ones on the PCM itself do nothing. Not the end of the world, as steering wheel is most important, but want to know if others have this issue.

If I can get the wireless music skipping issue resolved, I think I'll be quite happy. Even my toddler kept asking me, whats wrong with the music. haha.

Other than that installation wasn't extremely difficult, just a bit time consuming and just needed to take my time when installing the sub board. I actually had the most trouble with putting the glove box screw back in on the bottom. One side just wouldn't align well so I had to push the glove box in extra hard while trying to screw in the bottom nut while getting the hole aligned. After that everything else was pretty straightforward. Having just replaced my trim from piano black to black aluminum helped a ton with understanding how to remove trim pieces though. Picked up VW trim removal tools on amazon which are essential to doing it with little strain.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I bought mine at Media Shop (www.mediashop.de). It was more expensive there, but was looking for a place that had good return policy.

I noticed some skipping, but is very rare for me. Probably once every few days. Not enough to bother me.

I have not tried my PCM dial/hang up buttons. I focused so much on the steering wheel that I even forgot those exist (never used them to begin with). I’ll check tonight.

I did not removed the actual glovebox to mount the module, but the cover below the glove box. I mounted the module on the back side. There was enough space for me to maneuver in that area without having to remove that glovebox.

Glad everything worked well. Yes, that VW trim removal tool is a must. I also picked that up on Amazon. After I removed the trim, I marked the tool with a sharpie exactly where is needed to be when hooked. That have helped for subsequent times I have had to remove that trim.

Was your black aluminum trim upgrade expensive? Where do you buy the trims?

I finished my install a few days ago and have been working through some minor issues. Did you get the kit from NM Automotive or go straight to Unichip/Aliexpress etc?

Some of the issues are due to iOS 13.1. I've upgraded to 13.1.1 and the connectivity issues I were having are now gone. I do have two issues that remain though, when playing music via wireless carplay my sounds skips for milliseconds at a time, every 10-30 seconds. Nick at NM Automotive thinks this is an iOS issue as well. Have you had any issues with wireless carplay music? Switching to wired carplay has resolved this, but I'm hopeful this gets worked out at some point. Also do your PCM buttons for dial and hangup work? Do they bring up the phone carplay interface? My steering wheel controls work, since my phone is still connected to PCM bluetooth (not aux BT). But the ones on the PCM itself do nothing. Not the end of the world, as steering wheel is most important, but want to know if others have this issue.

If I can get the wireless music skipping issue resolved, I think I'll be quite happy. Even my toddler kept asking me, whats wrong with the music. haha.

Other than that installation wasn't extremely difficult, just a bit time consuming and just needed to take my time when installing the sub board. I actually had the most trouble with putting the glove box screw back in on the bottom. One side just wouldn't align well so I had to push the glove box in extra hard while trying to screw in the bottom nut while getting the hole aligned. After that everything else was pretty straightforward. Having just replaced my trim from piano black to black aluminum helped a ton with understanding how to remove trim pieces though. Picked up VW trim removal tools on amazon which are essential to doing it with little strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did not removed the actual glovebox to mount the module, but the cover below the glove box. I mounted the module on the back side. There was enough space for me to maneuver in that area without having to remove that glovebox.
That's actually a really good tip because I was going to rip the glovebox out figuring that would be the best place to house the "brain."

I did my install this past weekend as well and am incredibly happy with it. I did initially have some reconnection issues between the unit and my phone via wireless Carplay, but that was because the module never powered off. I had the fuse for the module connected to a circuit that was constant on, versus one that was linked to accessory on. Once I figured that out, it now reconnects everytime wirelessly because it's power cycling as designed. It's consistent enough to the point where I didn't even bother plugging in the USB cable. Ultimately I will in since that's the only way to update the software.

As car as music playback goes, I have no had any issues with skipping or lagging.

It's possible your wifi antenna may be loose or perhaps there may be interference? My initial though would be to upgrade the antenna (kind of like on a router,) but if you have already buttoned up everything, it will mean tearing everything apart again.

Once I remounted the PCM, I left everything else out and in the open. I wanted to give myself some time to test everything in case I needed to make any adjustments or troubleshoot. I'm pretty confident that it's all good so I'll be spending this upcoming weekend tucking everything away and putting the interior all back together.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is interesting. I have seen some installations in YouTube, especially with JoyeAuto systems that require fuse installation in the fuse box.

Mine didn’t require that, so in a sense it was a simpler and cleaner installation. Again, I purchased mine from Real Media, but everything looks the same as JoyeAuto, even installation process, firmware, etc. , except for the fuse.

I had the fuse for the module connected to a circuit that was constant on, versus one that was linked to accessory on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Was your black aluminum trim upgrade expensive? Where do you buy the trims?
Picked it up from a user on the forums. I really dislike Piano black so was happy to get out from it.

My unit didn't have an antenna, but is mounted above the glove box. It does seem to be sensitive based on phone placement. Closer to the unit seems to make the connection more consistent and reliable. With the phone in my pocket or cupholder, seems to increase the issue.

Removing the glove box wasn't terribly hard, and assembling it back with the exception of that one screw was surprisingly easy. It also made fishing the cables through from the PCM cavity incredibly easy. I could see that part being tricky without removing the glove box. At the end of the day very happy I installed in, just need to work out the minor issues. I also noticed that my call hangup button did work on the PCM with the button while on a call. Really no need I guess for them to work either way. Can use carplay interface or steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Mine have an antenna. That may explain why I have not had interruption issues, or are very rare.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Picked it up from a user on the forums. I really dislike Piano black so was happy to get out from it.

My unit didn't have an antenna, but is mounted above the glove box. It does seem to be sensitive based on phone placement. Closer to the unit seems to make the connection more consistent and reliable. With the phone in my pocket or cupholder, seems to increase the issue.

Removing the glove box wasn't terribly hard, and assembling it back with the exception of that one screw was surprisingly easy. It also made fishing the cables through from the PCM cavity incredibly easy. I could see that part being tricky without removing the glove box. At the end of the day very happy I installed in, just need to work out the minor issues. I also noticed that my call hangup button did work on the PCM with the button while on a call. Really no need I guess for them to work either way. Can use carplay interface or steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Also do your PCM buttons for dial and hangup work? Do they bring up the phone carplay interface? \
I just tested my PCM dial/hangup buttons, and they bring the native PCM phone screen, even if I'm in CarPlay. I can dial from the native operating system of the PCM, then call up CarPlay using NAVI, and the call shows up in CarPlay, but it seems as too many steps when I can dial directly from steering wheel or by using Siri.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just tested my PCM dial/hangup buttons, and they bring the native PCM phone screen, even if I'm in CarPlay. I can dial from the native operating system of the PCM, then call up CarPlay using NAVI, and the call shows up in CarPlay, but it seems as too many steps when I can dial directly from steering wheel or by using Siri.
Yeah I think it's just different quirks between the various systems. Mine is a Unichip variant, but some of the videos online show the joyeauto etc versions. Siri works great, so I've mostly been using that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is interesting. I have seen some installations in YouTube, especially with JoyeAuto systems that require fuse installation in the fuse box.

Mine didn’t require that, so in a sense it was a simpler and cleaner installation. Again, I purchased mine from Real Media, but everything looks the same as JoyeAuto, even installation process, firmware, etc. , except for the fuse.

do you have a good working link for Real Media?

·
Registered
981 Posts
PCM 3.1:

PCM 4.0:

This one is probably twice the price as JoyeAuto. And as I said, if I have to do it again, I would probably go with JoyeAuto. Having an additional fuse to mount may not be worth the additional $200.

Nevertheless, is working very well for me.

Good luck.

do you have a good working link for Real Media?

·
Registered
981 Posts
After a while with this solution for CarPlay, I started to do a speaker upgrade on my Bose system. Because I had the crappy Bose speakers, I really didn’t notice any significant difference in sound when I connected my phone through this CarPlay module initially as compared to the PCM native connection. Audio was still crappy after I installed the system.

As I started upgrading the speakers (have done all tweeters with the Burmester tweeters, the sub with an an 8” Rockford Fosgate retrofit to the Bose box, the center with the Burmester full range speaker and door midranges with a pair of Audison AP4), I noticed a nice improvement in audio quality, but still there was something missing. That fullness of sound was still not there.

My USB cable was connected through the CarPlay module. Apparently there is either no full passthru of sound or the AUX input, which this thing use as the input, does not render the same quality as the PCM direct USB (iPod) connection.

I changed my USB cable to the iPod input and there it was, the fullness I was missing. Apparently the DAC in this system converts to analog signal and there is a significant audio quality degradation. I also think that this module does not fully take advantage of all speakers (as I move the module fader/balance around, sounds disappears as I fade to the back, and gets a lot lower when I balance right it left). I only noticed this when I upgraded the speakers I have replaced so far.

So, there is a compromised way to continue to use the CarPlay module, but there is a drawback as some functionality is lost. I’m connecting the iPhone through native USB PCM iPod USB port. Then I connect the phone also to CarPlay via wireless Carplay. With this, I’m able to retain audio sound quality (which I’m not willing to compromise) and retain the video side of CarPlay. Unfortunately, some of the sounds from some apps are directed through Carplay. I can still interact with Siri... But some map apps direct turn by turn direction through CarPlay rather than the connected audio. I figured that the only map app that I can select audio output is Google Maps, so this one works well because I set the sound to not go through wireless audio, then it goes through the wired USB connection. But you will not hear turn by turn direction from Waze and Apple Maps as there is no way to do the same.

Since I prefer the increased quality in audio sound, I can accept the limited CarPlay functionality I’m losing...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Santirx, does this appear to be the same kit you installed, just marketed by someone else?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Santirx, does this appear to be the same kit you installed, just marketed by someone else?
There are about 3 or 4 manufacturers of these modules out there, and many resellers. This one is from a different manufacturer, but you’ll get the same thing.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts