Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Report on Thermal Glass Replacement, Including PEC Sticker

I started a thread here a few weeks ago, asking about experiences regarding replacement of the PEC sticker with a windshield replacement: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/166624-pec-sticker-movable-new-windshield.html. In that thread, in addition to helpful suggestions and past experiences of @Jfling and @Jellybean , @rcdancer and possibly some others wanted to know the outcome.

Additionally, there have been some threads here on glass replacement, in general, and reports of bad experiences. See, for instance, https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/164026-crack-windshield-can-fixed.html and https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/164636-all-started-cracked-windshield.html.

(If you want to seek out some more, I usually find it easiest just to bypass forum internal search mechanisms, and instead enter something like this into a Google search box: windshield replacement inurl:macanforum.com or safelite windshield inurl:macanforum.com.)

So, here's the report.

Friday, Aug. 24, my wife pointed out in the evening that sometime during the day she noticed a crack in the windshield, probably the result of a truck's spewing some stuff earlier in the day (although she didn't notice it at the time). Here's what the crack looked like:

That's near the center of the windshield, with about an inch of damage on either side of the "bullseye," with a finer crack on the top. That top crack would, in the ensuing two weeks, grow to about a foot, and much more noticeable.

The following Monday, I started working on a claim.

Just to get my ducks in a row, get whatever background info and useful tidbits that I could, I first called my sole local Porsche dealer (from whom I did not buy the car, by the way), https://www.porschecliftonpark.com/. The guy at the service dept. there told me that they don't do any glass repairs, but instead send all of that work to Capitaland Glass (https://www.capitalandglass.com/), and have full confidence in them, etc.

So I called Capitaland, to see when they could take a look at it. I was still collecting info. The rep there thought what I described would require a new windshield. So I emailed him some pics (including some with a cloth tape measure alongside the crack), and he got back to me, stating that I would definitely require a new windshield:

Due to the location of the chip and the large impact point we feel that your windshield should be replaced. A ship positioned low on the glass makes it very challenging to get behind the chip to induce the resin to track into the cracks. Also, even after repairing this chip it is likely that it will be very noticeable due to its size.

Further:

You should be able to report this to Safeco, let them know that you want a Porsche brand windshield, and also notify them that you are requesting that Capitaland Glass be the shop to replace it for you. Safeco will e-mail a work order to me that has all of the billing details spelled out. I would be glad to walk you through this process, before you call them, some time tomorrow morning.

That evening, I called the national claim number for Safeco, my insurer. After some automated menu prompts, choices, and recordings, I was transferred out of Safeco, it noted, to Safelite Solutions; this would not have been the case, the recordings assured me, if I had pressed "2," yes there was personal injury or other damage involved.

Anyway, once at Safelite Solutions, I spoke to an actual human, and described the situation. I explained that this was a fancy car, with assorted sensors (see at least one of those other threads, in which sensor wires were butchered), and with expensive optional thermal glass ("VW5 Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass," $990 extra when we configured our S in Aug. 2017). And so I told him that I would only accept Porsche's glass, and installed at a location of my choosing.

Safelite Solutions, I gather, besides being Safeco's glass-related sub-contractor, is the parent company (or something akin to that) of Safelite, the actual glass-replacement company. I didn't want that, and I was pleasantly surprised that the rep promptly agreed with all of that, and assured me I would be getting "OEM" (his phrase) glass.

I said that I wanted to use Capitaland Glass, and he said fine, and that they were on Safelite Solutions list of preferred shops (or some term like that), and so their repair work would be guaranteed for life (my life? the car's life? not sure). And he had their email, and emailed them a work order authorization.

So, the next morning, I called Capitaland Glass, and they had the email from Safelite Solutions, i.e., I hadn't needed any help with the process. All Capitaland needed from me now, to order the windshield, was my VIN. So I gave them that, and he said he'd order it that day.

I have no idea where the glass was coming from, e.g., Germany, the U.S. somewhere, who knows. Anyway, Friday, Sept. 7 -- which is ten days later, if you're keeping score at home -- I got an email from Capitaland that the windshield was delivered to the local Porsche dealer. Apparently, real Porsche stuff first gets delivered to real Porsche dealers; I may be wrong, or it may just be with regard to windshields, but that's what I gathered in this case.

Capitaland said that they would pick it up, and could schedule me for the following Thursday (Sept. 13). So, about two and a half weeks, from claim to repair.

We dropped off the car late that morning, and picked up late that afternoon. Here's the work order I signed at pick-up time, if anyone's interested:

It shows a list price of $,1121.14 for part number 95B 845 100 BY, for "Windshield-(Rain Sensor, W/Third Visor Frit, Solar Coated, Acoustic Interlayer, W/LDWS, Encap)."

(By the way, I don't know of any optional sensors we have -- just the expensive glass. That is, we have the stock rain-sensing wipers, but that's it.)

All the work seemed perfect. No smells, completely uniform seams, no glop anywhere, and nice and quiet. And all the stickers were transferred: PEC, NY registration, NY inspection, (911 owners, close your eyes now) an all-you-can-eat monthly car-wash sticker, and the 3M Dual-Locks and the E-ZPass attached to them.

The PEC sticker seems to have some alternating bands of light and dark, maybe trapped air, that I'm not sure were there before, but it's okay with me; at least it's intact. Here's what it looks like now, along with the manufacturer data etched into the glass (that's a white napkin on the dash, in order to see the etching):

One last note about sound. While we were waiting for the replacement glass to arrive, I spent $15 on a sound meter at Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECCZWWI/. My intention was to measure the interior sound on a given stretch of road at 70mph before and after. I mounted the meter with a suction cup to that shiny plastic just below the edge of the top of the dash, and went for a ride.

Well, there was traffic, and I had to take off the cruise, and there are just too many variables. And the phone recording was messed up, so the meter readings didn't show, and ... So that project was a failure. (And, yep, I'm a little OCD, but now I own my first sound meter, so maybe it will come in handy sometime.) But from having ridden in the car for almost a year, and around 16,000 miles, I can say unequivocally that it certainly seems as quiet as before, to my wife and me.

Last, for anyone in upstate NY, I can recommend, without reservation, Capitaland Glass. You can see on their home page that they note that they "INSTALL HIGH-END AUTOMOBILE GLASS," and they seemed to have done an excellent job of it.

Oops, one other thing: insurance could be discussed ad nauseam, but for what it's worth, Safeco (the insurance company, not Safelite) was a pleasure to work with. Well, it's never a pleasure, but I wasn't hassled at all with respect to my requirements, and it was a pretty quick discussion, at the conclusion of which they emailed the authorization to Capitaland. I have policies for both cars, the house, a motorcycle, and an umbrella with them, so I suppose it's the least they could do for me.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I'm glad you got it repaired/replaced to your satisfaction. You probably just had to pay your insurance deductible, instead of the entire $1,480 but, YMMV.

It probably would not have applied in the case of this particular chip, being so large but, your experience with it growing over 2 weeks by a couple feet is why when you get a SMALL chip, off center, you need to get it repaired ASAP! Saves needing a new windshield in many cases.

I'm glad I got to see what the PEC sticker looks like.
I am getting a PEC delivery in a few months. Do they just put that sticker on or do they ask you if you want it.
It seems fairly large.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
@iconoclast If you look at the claim he posted it says "zero deductible" so he paid nothing.

I too was confused over what you were talking about with the PEC sticker.

I'd love to experience a pickup like that one day.

That said, I highly doubt I'd leave that sticker on my windshield. Stick it to the toolbox in my garage, yes.

Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot: $0 Out of Pocket

I'm glad you got it repaired/replaced to your satisfaction. You probably just had to pay your insurance deductible, instead of the entire $1,480 but, YMMV.

It probably would not have applied in the case of this particular chip, being so large but, your experience with it growing over 2 weeks by a couple feet is why when you get a SMALL chip, off center, you need to get it repaired ASAP! Saves needing a new windshield in many cases.

I'm glad I got to see what the PEC sticker looks like.
I am getting a PEC delivery in a few months. Do they just put that sticker on or do they ask you if you want it.
It seems fairly large.
I knew I forgot something ...

The windshield replacement cost me nothing, but a little time. Here is a screenshot of my auto policy with Safeco:

My 2010 Camry SE (six-cylinder!) is on the left, the 2018 Macan S on the right. You can see my normal deductible, but also the "Full Safety Glass" note. This glass coverage is not something I asked for, and as you can see not separately priced. Instead, it's just included as part of the policy. I don't know whether this is specific to NY (and possibly some other states), but in my case it's just part of the policy, and so I wasn't out-of-pocket anything.

Regarding your question about the PEC sticker: no, we weren't asked, it was already affixed when the car was unveiled at PEC. I just measured it, and it's 4" x 2 1/2". That's actually smaller than the NY registration sticker on the other (driver's) side, which is 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (and there's also a smaller NY inspection sticker next to that).

Edit: I didn't even know about the sticker beforehand, but my wife and I both like it. But the folks at PEC seem very accommodating, so I imagine that if you told them beforehand not to stick it on the windshield they'd honor your request.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Awesome that you can get a windshield replaced for $0 deductible!

Re PEC sticker. I learned about PEC stickers from either the OP or a different post, where the guy was going to replace the windshield & wanted to know if he could get a replacement PEC sticker or have his old PEC sticker transferred w/o damage. This was strange & a new concept to me.

I imagined that the PEC sticker must be very artistic/decorative in order for the guy to want to retain it.
Now I've seen it & think it is neither artistic or decorative. So, I'm glad I saw it & will ask PEC to not place one on my car in a few months. I get the idea of a souvenir but I don't want that on my windshield. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re PEC sticker. I learned about PEC stickers from either the OP or a different post, where the guy was going to replace the windshield & wanted to know if he could get a replacement PEC sticker or have his old PEC sticker transferred w/o damage. This was strange & a new concept to me.
Yep, that was me, in that thread that I referred to: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appearance-body/166624-pec-sticker-movable-new-windshield.html

I imagined that the PEC sticker must be very artistic/decorative in order for the guy to want to retain it.
Now I've seen it & think it is neither artistic or decorative.
Nope, you're right, not artistic. It's just a badge of pride, or bragging rights (ala "This car climbed Mt. Washington" bumper sticker, etc.), or maybe just showing off (like spending $190 -- which we did -- for the wheel-center caps), or a reminder of the fun time we had picking up our first Porsche at the Atlanta PCNA HQ/test track and the mini vacation that went with it, or a combination of the above.

You'll note (post #14 ) in that thread that another forum contributor was pleased when she was able to get PEC to send a replacement sticker to her. Bottom line: I think the majority of us who have gone through that delivery program are pleased to have the sticker. And, as I mentioned, it's smaller than the NY registration sticker (and sort of balances it out, on the other side).

But, yep, to each his own. When you start getting the emails from PEC, just let them know you'd like the sticker not stuck on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts