Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I will not need to do this for 3-4 years but I’m curious. Manual p. 314 says only have done by Porsche dealer & you cannot tell what type of (aftermarket) battery will replace the genuine Porsche battery by the markings on the battery. WTF?!

I like Interstate brand. Often better quality than OEM but, that is for lead acid, not sure for AGM.

So, has anyone here had to replace their battery & did you have Porsche do it & what did it cost you?

I finally took a look at my battery which is under the trunk floor in front of the Bose SubW (After lift the cargo floor, must lift carpet & then lift another cover to view & if need to access/change it--would need to remove collapsible spare tire!)

I see mine is 92Ah.

I searched & found Gaudin Porsche offers two; a 92Ah & a more powerful 105 Ah.

958-611-105-21
BATTERY 105 AMP HOUR MSRP $543.76, online price $351.05
Replaces:958-611-105-20

958-611-092-21
BATTERY 92 AMP HOUR MSRP $439.44, online price $283.70
Replaces: 7PP-915-105, 955-611-085-00, 955-611-092-00, 958-611-092-20

So, if you wanted the same battery you have now you’d get the 92Ah for $283.70.
My guess is that to have Porsche replace it for you you’d pay MSRP $439.44 + ½ hr. Labor! ~$500 to replace a @#$!!** battery?!

For Lead Acid batteries, you just need the dimensions to fit the space & the correct Ah & then it is reliability, price, warranty & specs such as CCA. How can it be that much different for AGM types? If, for example, Interstate made one to fit Macan that was the same size with more Ah for ~ $150 it would be tempting. For now, until I learn that aftermarket brands are available & work well, I’d probably upgrade to the genuine Porsche 105 AH & DIY.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When I need a new battery I won't be going to Porsche. As long as one has the correct size and rating it shouldn't matter which brand it is, the wise thing to do though is to use another battery to keep all the car settings intact whilst changing the battery.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
One other point, alot of new vehicles will need the computer reset if you DIY changing the battery, or, you can purchase a small charger / jump starter that has an OBD-II port connection to keep the vehicle powered up while removing the battery. I have to use on on my daughter's Mini.

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
My guess is that to have Porsche replace it for you you’d pay MSRP $439.44 + ½ hr. Labor! ~$500 to replace a @#$!!** battery?!
I am going to guess you didn't read http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/4833-things-new-owners-might-want-know.html, item #5 ? If you did you didn't think that on only applied to oil changes?;)

The newer models have AGM batteries. These are more expensive than non-AGM. The non-AGM batteries came w/out the acid mixed. It had to be added and then the battery charged, taking hours to complete. Yeah, cost was around $450 - $500, I assume location dependent. Since the AGM batteries cost more, I expect a replacement cost more.

Wait until you get the bill for a new PDK. Then you can complain. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
My wife was told she needed to use Genuine Mercedes windshield washer fluid......
You aren't :(

You should be using windshield fluid safe for plastic lens if your headlights are the same as other current pcars. http://www.macanforum.com/forum/eastern-canada/16561-windshield-washer-fluid.html

There are several threads on pcar forums about this. RainX is not one of them http://www.macanforum.com/forum/electronics/41474-rain-x-windshield-fluid-kills-level-sensor.html

The issue is the headlight washers. I just bought this

Coolant is another issue. It doesn't have to be OEM but read Coolant/Antifreeze Technical Article by Pedro do your own research but it should be OAT (assuming its the same across all Porsches).

BTW, lots of people have bought walmart batteries for 987 car. Not sure about the current generation AGM batteries.

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
I heard you can only get your tires changed or add air at the dealer. It's not just to get the N0 rated tires. Only dealers have official Porsche brand air or Nitro.

/S
When those headlights delaminate because you didn't use the appropriate chemicals safe for plastic lenses (it doesn't have to be OEM), I wonder how much a new headlight cost :laugh:

I found it for you, ~$1100.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I am going to guess you didn't read http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/4833-things-new-owners-might-want-know.html, item #5 ? If you did you didn't think that on only applied to oil changes?;)

The newer models have AGM batteries. These are more expensive than non-AGM. The non-AGM batteries came w/out the acid mixed. It had to be added and then the battery charged, taking hours to complete. Yeah, cost was around $450 - $500, I assume location dependent. Since the AGM batteries cost more, I expect a replacement cost more.

Wait until you get the bill for a new PDK. Then you can complain. ;)
Most people won't ever go near the point where they need to replace a tranny though.

You better hope that your powertrain is "bulletproof" because your wallet won't be happy. :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Isn't it automatic after some number of wipes?
Yup; bursts out looking like a trap door spider - & makes a big mess:)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
No worries on my end. I will never use the headlight washer. Makes a huge mess
Hey @MDJAK the way you switch out your Macans you won't ever need a new battery,tires,or windshield washer fluid. Just sayin...:D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
No worries on my end. I will never use the headlight washer. Makes a huge mess
Hey @MDJAK the way you switch out your Macans you won't ever need a new battery,tires,or windshield washer fluid. Just sayin...:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
a tail of two batteries

When i got my NEW car it had a dead battery with a capital D. Porsche internal invoice to replace the 92ah battery was $750 WOW!!!

I have been looking online and am now not sure this 92AH battery is an AGM battery. I am going to call Porsche to find out

A tail of two batteries

This series of events focused around 2017 Macan base. After returning from a test drive I turned the car off. Wanting to check a setting I tried to turn the Macan back on. The battery was absolutely toast. NOTHING even beeped, dead stick. The dealer gave me a story about bringing the car from another dealer a few day prior (true) and thy probable did not charge it properly. (?) Plausible but we are talking about a car dealer. The dealer then told me not to charge through the cig plug and that that confusion probably aided in the batteries demise.
I did make a deal on the car, probably better then if there had been no problem. They promised to put a new battery in and check out the car. It was late Saturday when we finally struck the deal, too late to PMI the car. I signed everything and told them i would see them Monday morning. I showed up Monday and the car was ready, and had a new battery. All was GREAT, loved the car. Drove it 100 miles home with a smile on my face.

The next day I took the car for a spin and things were not working for no apparent reason. After checked the first thing that came to mind, the battery the voltage was low. I had really done it this time, electrical problem are the worst. Contacted the dealer and they said they would tow it in and check it out again and that a low battery could cause things to stop working by design to protect the battery. I live 100 miles plus away from the dealer. I talked with the service rep at the dealer for a while and we agreed that charging the battery fully and then see if that fixes the problem was the way to go.

That is where my fun began. Using an older CTEK 3300 (a great maintainer) used on my Cayman S, the charge cycle started. After a day+ of charging the battery was still not charged and the voltage was not where I thought it should be. After more checking, with CTEK and the dealer I came to the conclusion that my old 3300 was not sufficient to charge this battery. The CTEK max battery size was 90 AH, the Macan’s battery is 92 AH. Not a lot of difference but enough for me to look for a different charger/maintainer. I Know how the charging programs work in these devices, and small differences in max size can make a big difference in outcome.
I was still not sure that a short somewhere sucking the charge out as fast as I put it in. So I wanted a maintainer that did it all.
After research, the CTEK 7002 might be a winner for me. Well I got the unit from where else Amazon in 2 days and started by reading the manual. Well it was an eye opener. Not only does the charger charge almost anything, but it has a cycle where after the battery is fully charged it runs a check on loss of charge for a period of time before it starts its maintenance charge. This gives an indication of the state of the battery, good or bad. But in my case it gave me additional information. If there were a short in the car, the battery drain would have shown up with this final test. Thank goodness my car and battery passed this test with no problem. And sure enough everything was and is working as it is supposed to.
Bottom line, why the original battery failed, cause unknown, the reason things did not work properly after the instillation of a new battery, more likely then not the dealer did not fully charge the battery after instillation. BTW the cost of changing the battery $750 part and labor.

follow on:
After getting conflicting stories about what battery was actually installed in the car, I went to the GM of the dealership. As it turns out the 2017 Macan base (based on VIN built in June 2017) comes with a conventional 92AH battery. However the replacement part from Porsche for this battery is now a 92AH AGM battery. Thus the confusion. The service people replaced the battery, setting it up and charging it as a standard battery. But it was an AGM battery and thus takes much longer to charge. Apparently the parts guy and the service guy were not in good communication with each other and thus they charged the battery partially.
AGM batteries are not designed to be charged by an alternator in a car, rather the alternator is strong enough to maintain the charge but not charge it, Driving home did little to fully charge the batter.
Hopefully this is the end of the story.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Anyone have a definitive answer regarding the potential complications caused by replacing the Macan battery yourself and not keeping the car powered up while doing so?

Does a replacement battery for a Macan need to be “registered” as is required in many recent BMW products?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anyone have a definitive answer regarding the potential complications caused by replacing the Macan battery yourself and not keeping the car powered up while doing so?

Does a replacement battery for a Macan need to be “registered” as is required in many recent BMW products?

Yes. I have been told that, unless the new battery is exactly the same as the one being replaced, it needs to be "sync'd" or "registered" to the vehicle. Keeping another battery in parallel (e.g., a 9v battery connected via a power outlet) will just allow the various personal settings like radio stations, etc. to be saved.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine is:Varta AGM
7P0915 105C

AGM 12V 92 Ah
520A DIN
850A EN/SAE/GS
BEM Code
7P ∅ 151 ∅ 5C
JCB25 ∅7 ∅11179
*2 ∅5 JCB 2F71179 ∅*

I would probably buy another Varta (Silver Dynamic AGM)
http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/start-stop/silver-dynamic-agm/
Maybe a 95 AH or even a 105 Ah if it is the right size.

I wonder if I hooked up my CTEK battery charger to the 12 V power supply & then swapped old with new battery... if that would be the way to "trick the car" into not "knowing" that the battery had been changed.

Hopefully, by the time I need a new battery, others here will have DIY procedures & tips.

Yes, I know there are many who just take it to the dealer for every single thing. Luckily, there are some knowledgable members here.

I'm hoping I can get at least 4 years from my battery.

1 - 20 of 269 Posts