Porsche Macan Forum banner

661 - 680 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Continued...

10. Make sure that you have the battery capacity, technology (AGM), serial number, and the Porsche part number ready to enter. Press F3, upper right-hand corner of the keypad to enter the battery data entry screen.

11. Start entering your data into the boxes using the devices pop-up keypad entry (not pictured).

12. Once you have entered all of the information, press the F1 button on the upper left-hand corner of the keypad to transmit the information to the Macan's computer. Unfortunately, all of the boxes need to be populated with the correct number of digits, or the computer will return an error message and not allow programming. You will have to enter one space in the serial number for the computer to accept the entry.

I suspect (but I cannot confirm) that if you can find a non-OEM AGM battery with an Ah rating identical to the Porsche OEM battery, that you can probably fool the Porsche computer by entering the part number and serial numbers that I provided in my earlier post. Please post if you have success installing a non-OEM battery.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Since VARTA batteries are not sold in the US, the best choice (as has been mentioned oodles of times) is Interstate; ergo there is no OEM battery replacement. An Interstate battery of the correct type, works well even if the Ah is different as long as you input the correct Ah and not a copy from some previous battery.

What matters is that you have the Capacity, type of battery, serial number and Porsche part number all of them with the correct byte length. If the serial number is short one digit, add a SPACE.

Do NOT buy a different battery and then try and copy old data or someone else's data in lieu of the battery you replaced.

siberian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since VARTA batteries are not sold in the US, the best choice (as has been mentioned oodles of times) is Interstate; ergo there is no OEM battery replacement. An Interstate battery of the correct type, works well even if the Ah is different as long as you input the correct Ah and not a copy from some previous battery.

What matters is that you have the Capacity, type of battery, serial number and Porsche part number all of them with the correct byte length. If the serial number is short one digit, add a SPACE.

Do NOT buy a different battery and then try and copy old data or someone else's data in lieu of the battery you replaced.

siberian
Varta batteries are sold in the US, but only at the dealership. The battery that I just purchased and installed is a Varta Battery.

You are correct, and I should have been more precise in my wording. When installing a battery you must ensure that the Ah that you program corresponds exactly with the battery that you are installing regardless of brand. However, what is not certain, at least not to me, is that if you enter a Porsche part number and an Ah that does not exist for that Porsche part number, I do not know if the car computer will accept the entry. I don't know if the onboard computer is able to match part numbers with the Ah you enter and reject the entry if they do not match. Therefore, to be safe I would use an interstate battery with the same Ah as the Porsche part number that you are entering into the computer. Does anyone have experience to the contrary?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have never seen Varta car batteries in the US and when I test drove for VW/Audi/Bentley we replaced with Interstate.

In any case Interstate batteries of the correct type work fine even if the Ah is different. The Porsche part number I supplied is for 2020 Macans and is derived from the VIN number (as is the 16 digit hex code required to enable a retrofitted heated steering wheel so quite a few codes are VIN dependent).

So to recap, the closest Interstate battery that will work (at least on a 2020) is MTX-49/H8 which is a 900cca and 95Ah (the original factory one is 850cca & 92 Ah) and all parameters must be supplied

siberian

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good to know. You'll notice that the Varta battery actually has a 15 digit serial number while Interstate (and others) may only have 14 needing a space to make 15. Can you post what the part number is and the year of your vehicle and how much the dealer charged you for it? The latter may be a reason or not to remain with Interstate.

siberian

·
Registered
12 Posts
I couldn't find clear instructions for installing an aftermarket battery in my Macan and I was not entirely convinced that the vehicle would accept an aftermarket serial number. I also did not want to deal with premature battery failure if the battery was not properly registered. My wife needed her car and I decided to fork over the cash for the sure bet at the dealership.

The battery I installed is part number 958-611-075-21. 2017 Porsche Macan S. The battery cost $440.00 at Porsche of San Diego, including tax. I was able to find it online for $368.58 (including shipping), but shipping would have taken about a week. Clearly the interstate battery is way cheaper, I don't think this thread would exist if the OEM battery was a reasonable price. I look forward to someone posting specifics regarding the successful install and registration of any aftermarket AGM battery in a Macan.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
I couldn't find clear instructions for installing an aftermarket battery in my Macan and I was not entirely convinced that the vehicle would accept an aftermarket serial number. ...I look forward to someone posting specifics regarding the successful install and registration of any aftermarket AGM battery in a Macan.
There are several posts detailing exactly what you want to see.

·
Registered
363 Posts
MANY SEVERAL POSTS..............

Call your dealer and get the Part number (which is VIN derived) and follow the myriads of posts or, go to the dealer and be fleeced. Don't think anything else can be reasonably added after near 670 posts.

siberian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Siberian,

Plenty can be added after 670 posts. For example, you can buy Varta batteries in the US and it is possible to program a Macan with a relatively cheap device that does not charge a recurring subscription fee.

OP, thanks for weighing in. I agree that there are numerous posts outlining a process to register an aftermarket battery in the Macan, but after reading through the posts in this thread, I didn't find a single example where someone verified success with the repeatedly posted install/registration instructions. It's very possible that I missed the post, would you mind pointing it out? I think the absence of clear instruction verified by multiple users is why this thread has remained active for so long.

·
Registered
403 Posts
670 posts is a big rabbit hole to go down and not sure if there's anyone of those posts that clearly elucidates what needs to be done for an owner to register either a Porsche or non-Porsche supplied battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
e61it,

Did you see my posts on pages 33 and 34 of this thread? Specific instruction for registering a Porsche supplied battery in a 2017 Macan S.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why would I pay that kid of money for a Varta battery when I can get it so much cheaper at Costco and get an validated Interstate? If you have a proper analyzer you will register the battery with the information provided on the new battery and with the code from the dealer.

Not sure what else you want to cover, but feel free to continue to debate, I'm respectfully signing off this thread as I have nothing further to contribute.

siberian

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #676
My Original battery is still good but My plan is when I need a replacement to buy:
Bosch Premium Battery

Part #: 49-850BAGM| SKU: 838838

$164.99 (after their online promo coupon) {This inf. is from several months ago so YMMV}

CCA 850

Amp Hour 92

Group Size H8/L5/49

Battery Type AGM

Cold Cranking Amps 850

detailed specs on the web page

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...OHC?quantity=1
If I cannot source the Bosch, I'll buy the Interstate MTX-49 H8 (Not from Costco since I am not a member)
$232.95
Part Number

MTX-49/H8

Group Size

H8

Cold Cranking Amps

Cranking Amps

(RC) Min @ 25 Amp

Amp Hours (Ah) @ 20 Hr

Length

13 15/16

Width

6 15/16

Height

7 1/2

Weight

Termination Code

Common Code A

Voltage

Wet/Dry

D

Interstate Batteries | MTX-49/H8

I have the Bosch battery in my old Jaguar. Which is infrequently driven & it has held up well + it has 92 Ah... exactly the sane as my Macan OEM Varta. I will just want to "inform" the Macan computer that there is a new battery with same Ah as OEM & I will need to trick it with a fake serial #.

From photos of these batteries, I have determined that either the Bosch or the Interstate will be able to be installed with the correct +/- orientation in the Macan battery compartment. (I do think the front label will have to be hidden/backwards on one of them)
I plan to buy the Autel MD808 Pro tool to register the new battery. Some people are going to NOT register it & take their chances.
Siberian detailed exact procedure/instructions WITH photos ~ 4-13-2020... or perhaps b4 then & that date was just replying to a question I had asked him.

I C/P pix & instructions for my own use. (But from this thread)

Try post #581
Read some b4 & some after.

I think you basically make up a serial # with 15 digits, you can use a 14 digit # with an added space.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, that is what I thought. None of the 670+ posts documents the successful installation and registration of an aftermarket battery.

·
Registered
242 Posts
None of the 670+ posts documents the successful installation and registration of an aftermarket battery.
Alessia3 replaced his/her battery with an aftermarket Varta, and successfully registered the new battery using an Autel MD808. See posts 440 and 445.

Petervv did the same with an Autocraft battery purchased at Advance Auto. See post 558.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you, I was wrong. the posts that you referenced are very helpful and they answer the question regarding registering an aftermarket battery.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am going to order an Autel MD808 Pro. Has the price gone up significantly? The least expensive one on Amazon is $247, and the least expensive I can find is it JB Tools for $229.

According to CamelCamelCamel, about a year ago this was selling on Amazon for $177.

661 - 680 of 715 Posts