Porsche Macan Forum banner

641 - 660 of 715 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,335 Posts
This is crazy right, you know. How could Porsche lead us all out to the end of the plank and blindfold us and send us to the deep? All they had to do is let us go to Costco and do a battery swap.
That you can do!

·
Registered
368 Posts
They want you to go to the $tealer for a 700 dollar battery swap that's why.

siberian

·
Premium Member
6,335 Posts
That's nuts!

Costco has the Interstate H8 battery for less than $200.

Reactions: Shark and Fahrer

·
Registered
368 Posts
I rest my case Your Honor, your witness...

siberian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Called my local dealer. $1,000 battery and labor. Battery alone is $569.99
I am sure this has been discussed before, however if you replaced the battery with one (from Cosco) that has the exact same specs and register it with the old serial number would it work?

·
Registered
368 Posts
It has umpteen times. You shouldn't do that, it will kill your battery within a year. Please take the time and read through the threads dealing with this. A lot of people have spent hours researching this for your (plural) benefit. The least you (plural) can do is spend a little of your time reading up.

siberian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay, before I go down this road, would somebody confirm that I have all my **** together and am good to go:

All the information below is gathered from reading the 33 page thread repeatedly and watching videos.

1) Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro will program the battery.
2) Interstate MTX-49H8 from Costco works.
3) I don't require an auxiliary battery source while changing the battery.
4) After swapping battery and plugging in the Autel, activate connection by:
a) Turn on hazard lights.
b) Press brake pedal
c) Flash lights repeatedly
5) Enter BMS program by entering the following steps:
a) Go to Control Units
b) Go to Gateway Control Module
c) Special Functions
d) Battery Change
6) Input the following codes for 2015 Macan Turbo S into Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro:
a) Battery Capacity: 95AH
b) Battery Technology: AGM
c) Serial #: Must be 15 characters. Interstate will be 14 characters and add a space for the 15th.
d) Porsche Part #: Must be 11 characters. 958-611-092-21.

Am I missing anything? Is this correct?

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, before I go down this road, would somebody confirm that I have all my **** together and am good to go:

All the information below is gathered from reading the 33 page thread repeatedly and watching videos.

1) Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro will program the battery.
2) Interstate MTX-49H8 from Costco works.
3) I don't require an auxiliary battery source while changing the battery.
4) After swapping battery and plugging in the Autel, activate connection by:
a) Turn on hazard lights.
b) Press brake pedal
c) Flash lights repeatedly
5) Enter BMS program by entering the following steps:
a) Go to Control Units
b) Go to Gateway Control Module
c) Special Functions
d) Battery Change
6) Input the following codes for 2015 Macan Turbo S into Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro:
a) Battery Capacity: 95AH
b) Battery Technology: AGM
c) Serial #: Must be 15 characters. Interstate will be 14 characters and add a space for the 15th.
d) Porsche Part #: Must be 11 characters. 958-611-092-21.

Am I missing anything? Is this correct?

Thanks

Anthony
I was waiting for someone to give you the official thumbs up before I bought the MD808 pro. Radio silence around here.

Ken

·
Registered
368 Posts
Atnsw decided to contact me privately, which I told him was not a good idea as these are items that could benefit others on the forum. I don't know what he did with the Autel whether he bought it or actually swapped or tried to swap the battery as I haven't heard any news either.

So here is, based on the list he posted above my replies to him. I hope that helps and please in the future keep private conversations for items that are private not for stuff that could benefit others.

As I mention in Point 1, I don't have an Autel but a Launch x431.

Hi, as you mention, I don't own an Autel having chosen the Launch x431.

However, I'll try and answer what I can off the top of my head. I'd just like to point out, that questions such as these should not be part of a private chat as others can benefit from this.

I'll thus try and answer in the order you posed them

1) I don't know

2) It's the one that will best work since we can't get any Varta batteries in the US

3) I would put it on a battery maintainer so you don't lose all your presets etc. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try and remove the nut off the battery cables completely. Simply loosen them enough to be able to wiggle them free of the posts. Placing a little Vaseline on the terminals of the new battery will help keep any sulfates off it

4) If you have it on a tender prior to the swap you probably won't need step 4

a) Once you connected the new battery you can disconnect the battery tender if you used it.

5) No idea as it's probably different on the Launch

6) Yes - that part number is for a 2020 Macan S. I assume it is for other models as well but just want to be specific.

a) Enter the data and save however you do that with the Autel

Once you've done that, post this and other comments you may have so others with an Autel can benefit. Good luck.

siberian

·
Registered
72 Posts
To answer your question, I did buy the Autel MD808P and am waiting to receive it. Figured I should have it regardless. Next I am going to have my battery tested (drive to Advance Auto Parts or equivalent) to see how it tests. If it is good, I will wait for another guinea pig. If it is close to failing, I will be the sacrificial lamb. So, I am moving forward but cautiously as necessary.

One new addition that I am considering:

While I will be able to do the BMS with the Autel, I think the above part will allow me to keep 12V power during the swap and therefore keep all my settings. So, that is a new discovery for me. Not sure it is a good idea since there isn't a consensus but I am leaning towards it since I don't see a downside.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
One new addition that I am considering:

While I will be able to do the BMS with the Autel, I think the above part will allow me to keep 12V power during the swap and therefore keep all my settings. So, that is a new discovery for me. Not sure it is a good idea since there isn't a consensus but I am leaning towards it since I don't see a downside.
Clore sells the jump packs. Thats not a coincidence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In some purchase questions
Do you have to buy updates for the Launch x431 or the MD808? I saw on Amazon that the launch had 2 years of free updates, but then what?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Like with PIWIS and everything else you pay for a subscription. Seems the update for a year (after the 2 year free is done) is $399.

I don't know about other analyzers but there are two standout items for the x431.

1) It's wireless, so I don't have to tether the OBD2 connector to a laptop or pad.

2) It covers myriads of vehicles if your garage has more than one vehicle and it's not a Porsche.

Will I need the latest and greatest update after my 2 year? Unless something major is missing, I doubt it.

siberian

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and stumbled across this thread after replacing my wife's battery (2017 Macan S). I found an OBD2 scanner on Amazon that will register the battery, the Foxwell NT510 Elite (link below, current cost $169.88). The scanner's directions are not great and the battery registration function is buried in a submenu, but it works. I would be happy to share the registration specifics if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, I ended up just buying the battery at my local dealership, so I did not test the ability to register a non-OEM battery. Overall, I saved about $140.00 over having the dealership install the battery; however, I can now do oil change resets and other basic scan tool functions. I have included a picture of my battery part and serial numbers if anyone wants to use them in attempts to install an aftermarket battery.

20201016_211935.jpg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and stumbled across this thread after replacing my wife's battery (2017 Macan S). I found an OBD2 scanner on Amazon that will register the battery, the Foxwell NT510 Elite (link below, current cost $169.88). The scanner's directions are not great and the battery registration function is buried in a submenu, but it works. I would be happy to share the registration specifics if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, I ended up just buying the battery at my local dealership, so I did not test the ability to register a non-OEM battery. Overall, I saved about $140.00 over having the dealership install the battery; however, I can now do oil change resets and other basic scan tool functions. I have included a picture of my battery part and serial numbers if anyone wants to use them in attempts to install an aftermarket battery.

View attachment 235533
Interesting post. Just checked out their website. Looks like the unit is currently on sale for $130. Like to hear from any others who have experience with this unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are the battery programming instructions utilizing the Foxwell NT510 Elite:

1. Update the Foxwell device utilizing the enclosed quickstart procedures. I did this on a PC, I don't think this device is Mac compatible.

2. Plug the device into your Macan, plug under the driver's side dash just above the left footrest.

3. Turn the ignition key on without starting the car. The Foxwell will turn on. Select Porsche by pressing enter on the lower right of the control panel.

4. Press enter to run the SmartVIN. Your year, make, and VIN will display (not pictured). Verify your information and press enter.

5. Press enter.

6. Press enter

7. Press the down arrow and highlight Gateway Control System. Press enter.

8. Press the down arrow and highlight Special Functions. Press enter.

9. HIghlight Battery change. Press enter.

Continued on the next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here are the battery programming instructions utilizing the Foxwell NT510 Elite:

1. Update the Foxwell device utilizing the enclosed quickstart procedures. I did this on a PC, I don't think this device is Mac compatible.

2. Plug the device into your Macan, plug under the driver's side dash just above the left footrest.

View attachment 235537

3. Turn the ignition key on without starting the car. The Foxwell will turn on. Select Porsche by pressing enter on the lower right of the control panel.

View attachment 235548

4. Press enter to run the SmartVIN. Your year, make, and VIN will display (not pictured). Verify your information and press enter.

View attachment 235539

5. Press enter.

View attachment 235547

6. Press enter

View attachment 235541

7. Press the down arrow and highlight Gateway Control System. Press enter.

View attachment 235542

8. Press the down arrow and highlight Special Functions. Press enter.

View attachment 235543

9. HIghlight Battery change. Press enter.

View attachment 235544

Continued on the next post...
Off topic but are you able to code modules using this scanner?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

641 - 660 of 715 Posts