Porsche Macan Forum banner

601 - 613 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
So it seems the part number is VIN and thus I assume year dependent. As for my 2020 I was given:

958-611-092-21

siberian

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2017 Macan S needs battery replacement.
I am doing myself and if I change it out and reconnect the battery will I get errors or have any
Problems? Please facts from those DIYers.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My 2017 Macan S needs battery replacement.
I am doing myself and if I change it out and reconnect the battery will I get errors or have any
Problems? Please facts from those DIYers.
You truly need to start from the beginning and read every post. This is not as simple as it should be like heading to Costco. This battery replacement has to be REGISTERED using the PIWIS gizmo that only Porsche dealers and really good independants can afford to have. So this boxes you in for choices on what to do. Trying to use another gizmo for registration seems to be iffy.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
Just go to Costco and get a $140 Interstate H8 battery. Swap it in and be done with it. If battery prematurely fails, get a replacement one from Costco with no questions asked.

I personally had a free replacement battery from Costco for my Lexus within 2 or 3 years of the initial purchase.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
@Caseymacan,
You may want to maintain 12V power during the battery swap. So the Macan computer "does not know" you changed the battery.

Some battery tenders can do this such as CTEK 7002 which has a supply setting.
I plan to use a portable jump starter (JNC 770)
If you have a spare car battery laying around, you can use that.
I've seen small devices, using a 9V battery, plugged into a 12V outlet but have read about mixed results.

IDK what happens if the Macan is w/o power for several minutes. I'm guessing it is not ideal.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
I think out of power doesn’t automatically mean a battery change. Battery can be disconnected for any reason.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
Why do Porsche Techs maintain 12V supply when THEY swap out the Macan battery?

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just go to Costco and get a $140 Interstate H8 battery. Swap it in and be done with it. If battery prematurely fails, get a replacement one from Costco with no questions asked.

I personally had a free replacement battery from Costco for my Lexus within 2 or 3 years of the initial purchase.
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts

This is why L.L. Bean finally stopped replacing the gumshoe bottoms on their duck boots - 100% guaranteed.
The procedure was abused by enough customers. Now there's a charge for replacement.

Eventually Costco will "get with the program". Isn't it a form of fraud?

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
I didn't abuse it and I have never abused such policies at any store.

My point was I don't believe battery would die prematurely without registration. It's a pain in the butt to replace a heavy battery even it is free.

601 - 613 of 613 Posts