Porsche Macan Forum banner
601 - 620 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
2021 992C4S, 2020 Macan S, 2008 Touareg V8
453 Posts
So it seems the part number is VIN and thus I assume year dependent. As for my 2020 I was given:

958-611-092-21

siberian

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2017 Macan S needs battery replacement.
I am doing myself and if I change it out and reconnect the battery will I get errors or have any
Problems? Please facts from those DIYers.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
My 2017 Macan S needs battery replacement.
I am doing myself and if I change it out and reconnect the battery will I get errors or have any
Problems? Please facts from those DIYers.
You truly need to start from the beginning and read every post. This is not as simple as it should be like heading to Costco. This battery replacement has to be REGISTERED using the PIWIS gizmo that only Porsche dealers and really good independants can afford to have. So this boxes you in for choices on what to do. Trying to use another gizmo for registration seems to be iffy.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Just go to Costco and get a $140 Interstate H8 battery. Swap it in and be done with it. If battery prematurely fails, get a replacement one from Costco with no questions asked.

I personally had a free replacement battery from Costco for my Lexus within 2 or 3 years of the initial purchase.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
@Caseymacan,
You may want to maintain 12V power during the battery swap. So the Macan computer "does not know" you changed the battery.

Some battery tenders can do this such as CTEK 7002 which has a supply setting.
I plan to use a portable jump starter (JNC 770)
If you have a spare car battery laying around, you can use that.
I've seen small devices, using a 9V battery, plugged into a 12V outlet but have read about mixed results.

IDK what happens if the Macan is w/o power for several minutes. I'm guessing it is not ideal.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I think out of power doesn’t automatically mean a battery change. Battery can be disconnected for any reason.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Why do Porsche Techs maintain 12V supply when THEY swap out the Macan battery?

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just go to Costco and get a $140 Interstate H8 battery. Swap it in and be done with it. If battery prematurely fails, get a replacement one from Costco with no questions asked.

I personally had a free replacement battery from Costco for my Lexus within 2 or 3 years of the initial purchase.
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts

This is why L.L. Bean finally stopped replacing the gumshoe bottoms on their duck boots - 100% guaranteed.
The procedure was abused by enough customers. Now there's a charge for replacement.

Eventually Costco will "get with the program". Isn't it a form of fraud?

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I didn't abuse it and I have never abused such policies at any store.

My point was I don't believe battery would die prematurely without registration. It's a pain in the butt to replace a heavy battery even it is free.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Thanks, I bought the H8 Interstate battery and had a small bmw repair shop install it and he said he new a Porsche tech to call to get the serial # and part#. I have driven it for a week and all the settings and functions are working.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My battery is toast and needs to replaced. Also, my front passanger headlight has a small crack I noticed the other day. It works fine just has a crack. I sent my car to Porsche dealership and they wanted to charge $2,600 to replace the passanger light and $950 to replace battery. I was shocked on the battery.. I mean what the ****.

I looked at NTB, Pepboys, Autozone etc and none have a 2015 Macan S battery. Any suggestions to replace myself.... am I missing something.. it is a batery in the trunk... take out tire and unplug battery and replace, put back tire and seal up... right? Where can I get a battery?

I am looking on ebay for a replacement passenger light. How hard is that to replace? If complicated I may just file an insurance claim to get it replaced because new ones cost a fortune and if hard to install I will let insurance company handle it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Wow, that dealer is a blood sucker.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My battery is toast and needs to replaced. Also, my front passanger headlight has a small crack I noticed the other day. It works fine just has a crack. I sent my car to Porsche dealership and they wanted to charge $2,600 to replace the passanger light and $950 to replace battery. I was shocked on the battery.. I mean what the ****.

I looked at NTB, Pepboys, Autozone etc and none have a 2015 Macan S battery. Any suggestions to replace myself.... am I missing something.. it is a batery in the trunk... take out tire and unplug battery and replace, put back tire and seal up... right? Where can I get a battery?
What you want to do is read through this 31-page thread on replacing the battery -- whether any battery will do, whether you have to register it, why the whole process costs so much -- and you will then be as up in the air as the rest of us (but you will learn about the various intricacies involved -- you will become well-educated in the matter -- even if no clear consensus has emerged):

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
Stepmback:

See the following:

601 - 620 of 1023 Posts