Porsche Macan Forum banner

581 - 600 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
So in addition to the Launch x431 you're confirming that the Autel also allows you to register a battery? The main thing is to be sure you have the 15 digit Porsche code.

siberian
Re 15 digit battery serial #.
which # on the label is the serial #? Several choices!
14 digit, 13 digit, 10 digit?

My Macan Varta:

7P0915 105C

AGM 12V 92 Ah
520A DIN
850A EN/SAE/GS
BEM Code
7P ∅ 151 ∅ 5C
JCB25 ∅7 ∅11179
2 ∅5 JCB 2F71179 ∅

If I count the 2 asterisks for the 14 digit # then it becomes a 16 digit #.
(Note the forum software deleted the asterisks, but the following # has an asterisk b4 & after
2 ∅5 JCB 2F71179 ∅)

·
Registered
249 Posts
So in addition to the Launch x431 you're confirming that the Autel also allows you to register a battery? The main thing is to be sure you have the 15 digit Porsche code.

siberian
See posts 558 to 567 above re the Autel unit. As you can see I’m not the only one here who has used it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There's a long discussion on Rennlist forum and no one has said anything about the Autel working which is why I asked. I have the Launch x431 so just completing the roster of analyzers that are able to do the registration.

Iconoclast, I'll get back to you tomorrow on that.

siberian

·
Registered
297 Posts
Iconoclast, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here is a screen shot. Seems the number you need for the serial number is the last one you mention starting with 205 - respect the spacing and ALL LETTERS ARE IN CAPITALS. I hope that helps

siberian

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
How soon do you need it?

I have access to the Autel MD808, and I was scheduled to be in Waltham last week, but it’s likely my trip will be postponed until after the health emergency is over.

Where in the Boston area are you?
Thanks!

I don't need it immediately, I'm planning ahead. My 2015 vehicle still has its original battery, so
I'm figuring it's only a matter of time before it'll need a new one. I do use the Ctek with it so it
gets periodically reconditioned/charged, however at some point it will require replacement.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Iconoclast, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here is a screen shot. Seems the number you need for the serial number is the last one you mention starting with 205 - respect the spacing and ALL LETTERS ARE IN CAPITALS. I hope that helps

siberian
Thanks! Hard to see with that screen shot.

If I leave spaces:
2 ∅5 JCB 2F71179 ∅

Seems to now be 18 digits.

2 ∅5 JCB 2F71179 ∅
14 digits + 4 spaces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have read discussions in various forums about what the iCarsoft POR V2.0 device is able to do on a Macan and what not. I can provide concrete answers to two points:

1) BMS (Battery Management System): registration of a new battery. In the delivery state of the iCarsoft device, BMS did not work on my Macan S (Diesel, 2014). After the German vendor played dumb, I wrote directly to the manufacturer in the US. After more than a month of email exchange and five software versions I had to test, the latest version (11.23) finally worked. Important in this context: the device must be operated in English language! If the menu is changed to other languages (e.g. German), BMS does not work.

2) DPF (diesel particle filter) regeneration. Original language of the manufacturer: "I'm sorry to tell you that POR V2.0 can't support DPF on Macan yet. We are still working on it."

I hope that this will help all those who are interested in this device. If you have other, additional or contradictory experiences with the iCaroft POR V2.0 device, please feel free to add to this thread.

Cheers from Austria,
Andi

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
32 Posts
I have read discussions in various forums about what the iCarsoft POR V2.0 device is able to do on a Macan and what not. I can provide concrete answers to two points:

1) BMS (Battery Management System): registration of a new battery. In the delivery state of the iCarsoft device, BMS did not work on my Macan S (Diesel, 2014). After the German vendor played dumb, I wrote directly to the manufacturer in the US. After more than a month of email exchange and five software versions I had to test, the latest version (11.23) finally worked. Important in this context: the device must be operated in English language! If the menu is changed to other languages (e.g. German), BMS does not work.

2) DPF (diesel particle filter) regeneration. Original language of the manufacturer: "I'm sorry to tell you that POR V2.0 can't support DPF on Macan yet. We are still working on it."

I hope that this will help all those who are interested in this device. If you have other, additional or contradictory experiences with the iCaroft POR V2.0 device, please feel free to add to this thread.

Cheers from Austria,
Andi
Thank you Andi. Regarding the BMS battery registration, did you actually register a new battery? If so, was it a Porsche battery or from another manufacturer with a label providing the serial # etc. needed for registration.

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
If he's in Austria he should be able to get a Varta battery. For those in the US, Interstate seems to be the battery of choice - from my days of test driving for VDub/Audi/Bentley in their arctic test center.

siberian

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If he's in Austria he should be able to get a Varta battery. For those in the US, Interstate seems to be the battery of choice - from my days of test driving for VDub/Audi/Bentley in their arctic test center.

siberian
I'd like to hear more about your career doing that. Perhaps in a separate thread, of course.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can confirm, when I coded my new battery with autel, my last digit was a SPACE (serial on original battery was 14 digits).
Hope this could be useful.
See my post number 558. The 15 place serial number as well as the 11 place Porsche port number serve no purpose other than to provide subsequent technicians with the history of battery changes in the vehicle. You can put in whatever combination of letters and numbers you want, and it’s not going to make any difference in the battery charging strategy. When we did the battery replacement we just entered two strings of nonsensical numbers and letters.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I can understand that the Serial Number tells the Techs (if they didn't already know by looking at it) what battery it is and perhaps other info like year of build etc. As far as I was able to determine through my Porsche contacts the Part number is derived by VIN (and I assume ergo year) and when I had my system shutdown due to battery failure in January, I was told by Porsche Gold Tech to enter Porsche Part Number: 958-611-092-21.

I don't know what year your Macan is and if this is a new twist for the 2020's. So whilst I can readily accept a nonsensical serial number (why would it need two positions - 11 and 15) for number of battery changes, I'm not sure about what impact the Part Number has. My only guess is that since we can't get Varta batteries in the US it provides a method of acceptance of other manufacturers. Just a thought,

siberian

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd like to hear more about your career doing that. Perhaps in a separate thread, of course.
Sure I'll answer what I can or remember from 2012... I basically did that for one season as when I can't learn anything from anything I do, I move on and find something that I can. :)

siberian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Andi. Regarding the BMS battery registration, did you actually register a new battery? If so, was it a Porsche battery or from another manufacturer with a label providing the serial # etc. needed for registration.

Thanks
It is a Varta which is available in Europe. There were no numbers on it as it is an aftermarket battery. I had asked Varta about the numbers but they refused to provide them, so I just used the numbers which were provided as examples by iCarsoft in the BMS menu. It seems that everythings works. When I display the voltage in the car menu I can see that it is charged (voltage going up to 14.9V) as long as it is needed, then the voltage goes down again to anything between 13.0 and 13.9V (I assume, depending on what is switched on in the car).

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
32 Posts
It is a Varta which is available in Europe. There were no numbers on it as it is an aftermarket battery. I had asked Varta about the numbers but they refused to provide them, so I just used the numbers which were provided as examples by iCarsoft in the BMS menu. It seems that everythings works. When I display the voltage in the car menu I can see that it is charged (voltage going up to 14.9V) as long as it is needed, then the voltage goes down again to anything between 13.0 and 13.9V (I assume, depending on what is switched on in the car).
Thank you Andi for your reply. Very helpful.

rnc

·
Registered
297 Posts
The serial number has 15 digits, the part number I was asking about has 11. What part number did you enter?

siberian

581 - 600 of 613 Posts