Porsche Macan Forum banner

561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
To clarify, is your unit an Autel MD808 or the more expensive Autel MD808 Pro? Thanks.
Good question. Did not notice Alessia3 used the Pro model, which is $31 more (where I bought it). Mine is not the Pro model. So either version of the MD808 will work for battery registration.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
I can confirm the Autel MD808 will register a replacement battery for the Macan just as Alessia3 described above in post #440. This was on a 2016 S gasoline engine.

Bought the MD808 from obd2tool.com for $208 delivered.

H8 95AH AutoCraft AGM replacement battery came from Advanced Auto ($199.99 less 20%) plus a $22 refundable core charge.

Installation and programming with the Autel tool was as straightforward as could be. The 15 place serial number as well as the 11 place Porsche part number serve no purpose other than to provide subsequent technicians with the history of battery changes in the vehicle.
Did you need a Windows computer at all?

To update software on the Autel?

I have a Mac.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
Thanks!

That is a problem for me. A big added expense. I assume the Windows computer is needed for both Auto MD808 as well as MD808Pro models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks!

That is a problem for me. A big added expense. I assume the Windows computer is needed for both Auto MD808 as well as MD808Pro models.
Honestly, I think you don't need TO BUY a windows pc, only To USE a windows pc, and only if you want to update (once?) the device firmware.
As you can see (snapshot taken today from autel site), there are some firmware updates for porsche, but:
1) maybe, if you buy a device today, it could be already up to date with latest firmware; or
2) maybe, registering is possible also with old firmware; or
3) in the worst case, you can ask a friend with a windows pc to update the device for you, or to use his pc for 2 hours, only to finish the update procedure.
So, I hope your friend won't be so expensive...

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Honestly, I think you don't need TO BUY a windows pc, only To USE a windows pc, and only if you want to update (once?) the device firmware.
As you can see (snapshot taken today from autel site), there are some firmware updates for porsche, but:
1) maybe, if you buy a device today, it could be already up to date with latest firmware; or
2) maybe, registering is possible also with old firmware; or
3) in the worst case, you can ask a friend with a windows pc to update the device for you, or to use his pc for 2 hours, only to finish the update procedure.
So, I hope your friend won't be so expensive...
Excellent points!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
I just checked the Autel MD808 Pro manual p.79. (I D/L this when Autel was 1st mentioned on MF)
It says you ARE able to update with Mac, just not via USB.

Attachments

Reactions: Photon

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will have a good idea in a few years since I have AGM batteries in 2 Porsche & I changed my old flooded battery to an AGM in my 20 year old Jaguar which is not S/S & doesn't have close to the computer draw of my newer Porsches.

The oldest Macan's are how old now? 5 years?
I wonder how many MF members still have their MY2015 & the original battery & if they do, how many & what type of miles do they drive?

My guesses the ones who put on a lot of miles & long drives, not stop & go, can have their AGM batteries last many years... 6 or 7 maybe. But, I'm guessing.
My 2015 S went into service 1/16/2015 & it still has the original battery. It has 62k miles, no set driving pattern including sitting up for weeks at a time, no charger. It is a guess how long they will really last & I am in the first group who will find out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not if you know what to look for. Battery analyzers, AFAIK, look at the internal resistance. AGM batteries have lower internal resistance than wet cells. The analyzers know this. For Porsches batteries its measured in EN, just a different type of measure for cold cranking amps. You can research this but AFAIK, when the battery is not fully charged, it sulphates. That hardens over time. The battery then never fully recharges.

In other words, the CCA or EN can be fine but because of sulfation the battery never gets a full charge and discharges quickly. I think thats what they mean by dies quickly. And you can't reverse it. So the analyzer knows the CCA and knows the voltage. It could say it "passed" based on the CCA being good enough but if it never fully charges and quickly discharged, its not good.
My Porsche dealer analyzed my battery condition in 8/19. They said the most important reading was "Battery ageing, charge related (%)". The reading was 60% & they said a Macan battery is considered dead at 55%. They recommended replacing but 8 mos. later it's still working.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
My Porsche dealer analyzed my battery condition in 8/19. They said the most important reading was "Battery ageing, charge related (%)". The reading was 60% & they said a Macan battery is considered dead at 55%. They recommended replacing but 8 mos. later it's still working.
Thats consistent with what I said. Its the SOC thats important to them. IOW, it should charge to 12.8V but is nowhere near that. Considered dead does not mean physically dead but one might be wary. You have to look it up but at 60% fully charged there is a lot of sulfation. Google agm SOC voltage.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good information -- thanks for posting.

Given that you've amortized that battery for five years, and the way that AGM batteries seem to (often? mostly? occasionally?) bite the dust without warning, and given what the dealer said, I'd opt to replace it soon, before it leaves you stranded at an inopportune time. I say that, having replaced a few AGM batteries on motorcycles before they actually died, so I have practiced just that. But of course this is not really any of my business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just checked the Autel MD808 Pro manual p.79. (I D/L this when Autel was 1st mentioned on MF)
It says you ARE able to update with Mac, just not via USB.
I just checked on autel site, there is a download link for "maxi Pc suite" also for mac, the result is a download of a pkg (zipped) files with that software.
so I think that there is no need for windows pc, because autel released also a mac version of the software.
When I updated my device, I downloaded the windows version of "maxi PC suite" and, after install, the upgrade procedure was very easy

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
A $50 battery tender will probably extend your battery's life.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The two posts you quoted are about 2 1/2 years old, and at this point there’s been a huge amount of discussion on this, most of it within this very thread.

I would just point out there is not a uniform agreement with what you are saying. There is at least one aftermarket battery supplier who says what you were suggesting is not necessary.
Please see my post:

siberian

·
Registered
340 Posts
Please see my post:

siberian
Your Rennlist post incorrectly states no one makes an 850 CCA, 92 AH AGM battery in the correct size. East Penn Manufacuring (one of the largest, if we’re not the largest wet cell battery manufacturer in North America) does, and it’s marketed by Napa as well as others.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was simply quoting what the Gold Tech @ Porsche NA stated. Feel free to buy whichever one you prefer, itdoes not obviate the rest of the post however.

siberian

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there anyone in this forum, in the Greater Boston area, who owns a device with which to register a battery?
How soon do you need it?

I have access to the Autel MD808, and I was scheduled to be in Waltham last week, but it’s likely my trip will be postponed until after the health emergency is over.

Where in the Boston area are you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also, you can buy a 95 amp hour battery at advance auto for significantly less, and it’s extremely easy to register a 95 AH battery instead of the 92.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So in addition to the Launch x431 you're confirming that the Autel also allows you to register a battery? The main thing is to be sure you have the 15 digit Porsche code.

siberian

561 - 580 of 613 Posts