Porsche Macan Forum banner

481 - 500 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear friends of the Tiger,

I bought a new battery for my Macan Diesel (build 2014), a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 95Ah. As it is an aftermarket battery, it comes without the serial- and part-numbers which are required to register the new battery. Without these numbers - a 10-digits serial number and an 11-digits part number - it is impossible to register the battery with an iCarsoft diagnostic tool. I tried the registration with numbers from the internet, but without success. The iCarsoft device always says 'Cannot receive correct response from vehicle'. It also won't work without any numbers.

Neither iCarsoft nor Varta are able or willing to help.

Can anyone help with serial- and part-numbers? They can also be from another battery manufacturer as long as the battery type (AGM 95 Ah) is the same. Or does anyone know how to trick the iCarsoft tool?

Thanks a lot,
Andreas

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
Which iCarsoft model are you using? My understanding is that the POR II model will not perform
Macan battery registration. Period.

If you're using that model, it'll never happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which iCarsoft model are you using? My understanding is that the POR II model will not perform
Macan battery registration. Period.

If you're using that model, it'll never happen.
It is the iCarsoft POR V2.0. The device was sold (here in Europe) without the information that the BMS won't work on a Macan.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Is it even possible to buy a Varta automotive battery here in the U.S.A.?
Thought someone said if you buy one from a Porsche dealer that's what they have?

·
Registered
2017 S
15 Posts
I guess the answer is “No”. So it seems we don’t have any instances of a DIY replacement of a battery and registering with a consumer purchased tool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The question about iCarsoft and battery registration has been asked repeatedly.

The search utility is your friend!
Sorry. I should have clarified my question.
icarsoft POR2 was confirmed as not to work.
Has anyone used different versions of icarsoft devices such as CR PRO, that is almost $300?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Been gone for this forum for years but I'm reading a lot of interesting comments as well as urban legend stuff here so I tried to find out what the waffle word "register" really means.

Banner who makes batteries for Porsche has some insight on what info is actually in the BEM code that is registered and how important it is (or isn't). My interpretation is that if you replace with an AGM battery of similar size +-20% it really doesn't make much difference. And the difference with be learned out pretty soon. Seems Audi follows Porsche in "requiring" a registration, but VW does not.
.........................................................................................................................
Can I install a Banner battery (without a BEM code) in my Audi?
What happens when a battery without a BEM (Battery Energy Management) code is installed in a vehicle? Banner has had to consider this question in the case of Audi.

BEM = Battery Energy Management. In view of the increasing use of electrical power in modern vehicles, the battery constitutes a vital component. Therefore, in order to guarantee its long service life in spite of higher loads, vehicles such as the Audi A6 employ intelligent energy management.

Function. The massive rise in on-board power requirements in the latest car generation places fresh demands on
batteries, especially in connection with micro-hybrid applications involving stop-start technology and brake energy recuperation. The BEM incorporates ongoing parameters such as the charging status and the age of the battery. This data is then reported to the vehicle computer, which decides upon the energy balance in the vehicle and if required, limits the use of comfort consumers such as seat heating or air conditioning and provides the driver with a warning.
Where possible, the aim is to constantly guarantee engine starts.

Differing systems. The majority of automotive manufacturers such as BMW operate with an open system, i.e. the
independent retrofitting market can install a suitable battery without the need to reprogram the vehicle electronics. However, producers like Audi employ a closed system and allocate so-called BEM codes for original retrofitting batteries. Unfortunately, such codes are unavailable for free spare part batteries.

Installation of batteries without a BEM code. Basically, the installation of a non-BEM free tested battery is possible as exemplified by Audi. However, a battery must be employed that possesses OEM quality (preferably Power Bull PROfessional and in the case of an original AGM battery, replacement with a Running Bull AGM), is of identical dimensions with the original battery and also has the same labelled performance as the original.

Self-teaching system. In the case of an elderly battery, the vehicle system stores the term “defect battery”. Accordingly, if a new battery is installed without the entry of a BEM code, initially the vehicle does not recognise the
presence of a replacement. Therefore, the energy management system must either be informed of the new battery status via a BEM code input, or learn the new battery status. The more trigger events (impulses, signals, e.g. starts, cold starts) experienced by the battery, the faster this process is completed. The vehicle computer then successively releases the previously limited systems, e.g. the full performance of the air conditioning system.

No safety risk. If a high-quality battery is installed without the input of a BEM code, this neither constitutes a safety risk, nor a possible danger of damage to the vehicle electronics or other components.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
So no need to register a new battery as the system will self learn after a while. That makes sense.

@gir, good to see you are back if you still remember me. LOL

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
What about installing a non-Banner or Varta battery, such as Bosch, but registering it using the same BEM code as found on the old battery?

My Macan 4 ½ yr. old Varta has BEM: 7P ∅ 151 ∅ 5C, there is also another long set of numbers under this & then the QR code & below that yet a 3rd set of numbers.

So I don't know how I could use that code +1 idea mentioned before.

The idea is to let the computer know it is a new battery.

Maybe the BEM code is more than one line of numbers? See photo Macan Varta Battery 7P0 915 105 C.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
The post above by gir seems somewhat "comforting", however, are the statements facts or opinions/beliefs?

Where is the proof of correctness? Is there some technical literature we can read that supports the views stated
above?

I would possibly like to believe the statements are true, as it would greatly simplify things. I am not convinced the
Porsche battery charging/energy management system would simply "adapt" (how?) to a new battery when it has
"knowledge" only of the older battery and the charging requirements it has/had.

:unsure:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Guess it's possible the Banner folks could be lying in order to try to sell batteries, but IMO it is not likely as they would have lots of warranty claims when the cars did not charge the replacement batteries correctly. Could not find any info on their website regarding warranties.

Although I've never heard of them before as I'm in North America, appears they have been around for ages.

I'm tending to think that while it's optimal that the car know it has a new battery from the minute it's installed, that the car really can recognize that a battery is aging and adjust it's charging strategy appropriately. I doubt there would be any material damage done to the battery if it's not being charged optimally short term.

If I had to replace my battery today, I would just buy an aftermarket unit with the identical specs to the OEM Varta. IIRC we established they are widely available. Not a lot of risk, if I ruin a battery that cost under $200 so be it. Sort of like buying the Atturo tires (if you have 21 inch wheels). In the unlikely event you don't like them and throw them in the garbage, so be it.

Nice work gir! Good to see you are alive and well :)

Everyone stay safe and plan ahead....

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
I tend to believe the system will self learn the new battery, and I suggest against registering a new non-brand battery with a fake number, which may confuse the system and do more harm than good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The post above by gir seems somewhat "comforting", however, are the statements facts or opinions/beliefs?

Where is the proof of correctness? Is there some technical literature we can read that supports the views stated
above?

I would possibly like to believe the statements are true, as it would greatly simplify things. I am not convinced the
Porsche battery charging/energy management system would simply "adapt" (how?) to a new battery when it has

Here is a link to Banner's website regarding registering start/stop batteries:

This whole issue is new to me but there seems to be some good info here. They do have a link to approved installers but none in the US.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Note though if you go to their manufacturer specific information they have the following.

Porsche

It is absolutely necessary to configure all Porsche models, otherwise the start-stop function is not ready for operation. Without configuration or by installing a replacement battery from the free aftermarket, this may cause restrictions in the functionality and increased battery wear due to incorrectly functioning shut-off stages.

Banner Conclusion: Registration required, start-stop does not work without registering the new battery, control of electrical functions after battery change recommended.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Sounds like a bad computer translation from German as it is not exactly grammatical. What are "incorrectly functioning shut of stages"? And "absolutely" and "may" makes it sound like the author was not exactly sure on the absoluteness of absolute.

@gburrell Curious where you found these words?

I'm guessing Porsche is concerned that the starter motor pre-engagement function that happens at the moment of shut off in auto stop-start doesn't have enough power and the low voltage protection to disable also fails. (opposite of a normal start) Fine to be alarmed if you substitute with a high impedance and or worn out battery. But a new AGM of the same size is not going to cause that or any other problems. The voltage and impedance variations between group 49 AGM batteries are small. There's not much intelligence in a battery beyond knowing that and capacity.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
...I am not convinced the

I've posted this idea b4.
Consider 2 Macans with same specs bought on same day.
FF 3 years.

Macan 1 has 45k miles & is a daily driver & the owner occasionally uses a battery tender.
Macan 2 has 15K miles & sits for days at a time & many short trips. Never saw a battery tender.

Do you think the Macan computer charges both those batteries, via the alternator, exactly the same since same battery specs, same age?

I doubt it. Macan 2 will have battery fail to start the car soon.

I suspect the Macan computer monitors the condition of the battery, maybe just voltage but, does check some things & adjusts accordingly.

481 - 500 of 552 Posts