Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts
I agree that break pad replacement with only 20 some K miles is crazy. Was told yesterday that my 2019 with 23000 miles needs some new pads. Appointment is Monday. Love the car. But such frequent pad replacement is silly - Porsche should do better, be able to use pads that are more durable.
You can run harder pads (semi-metallic) - at the expense of replacing your rotors/disks more frequently.

IIRC, pads are cheaper than rotors/disks.

Good luck!

Does seem right to you? I’m not particularly impressed to having to pay £1400 to replace all brake discs and pads at only 25000 miles
No it doesnt seem right, but then it seems the Macan's brakes tend to wear down at a much greater rate, and inconsistently different than any other Porsche I've owned. At least, if you believe some of the SAs I have spoken with. I needed front and back brakes on mine at around 40k. That was a problem since i was supposed to be a CPO car, and I hadn't even put 4k miles on it. But I also had the SA (where I got it) tell me replacing them once a year wasn't unusual. I called BS on that one. What happened was, this dealership sold me a CPO Macan that, 4 months after purchase, I discovered actually had about 3 mm brake left on the front and not much different on the rear.

When I called them, they tried to tell me that when the car was inspected, it had more than 50% on there (even though they had no proof). That was BS. Then they tried to tell me that somehow in 4 months, I wore down the brake pad 30%. That of course, was BS too considering most of my driving was highway. I explained even my previous cars I would get close to 50k miles, but that fell on deaf ears. But after much haggling, I got them to replace the fronts, but they wouldn't touch the rear.

Then some how, according to their claim I'd be replacing brakes once a year, I broke all brake pad wear records (sarc) and I managed to get another 6 months of driving time on the rears before the light actually went off. I called them back and told them, during my first 3 months of ownership, according to their argument, I managed to wear through better than 3 mm of pad, but the 6 months following that, I managed to wear down less than 2 mm of pad. Not much to say about that one.

Did the light go off yet?

At 20K service (done at 17K) my brakes were at about half. Was quoted $1K for the job at dealer in NorCal. Seems reasonable to me if they do indeed replace both pads and discs. I just passed 23K miles. Probably need to replace in 6 months or so.
Just dropped the car off for 30K service (car has 27K miles on it). Front and back are at 4mm. Dealer quoted $2,650 for front and back discs and pads. Seems like a lot and from what I understand I don’t need to replace the rotors, only the pads. Can anyone confirm how much pads replacement should be?

As a benchmark in terms of parts costs, from Suncoast: pads front and back $255, rotors front and back $460. Total ~ $710

Just dropped the car off for 30K service (car has 27K miles on it). Front and back are at 4mm. Dealer quoted $2,650 for front and back discs and pads. Seems like a lot and from what I understand I don’t need to replace the rotors, only the pads. Can anyone confirm how much pads replacement should be?
If you take the time to read the posts in this thread you will very quickly come to the conclusion that your dealer is trying to wildly rip you off. That price is total absurdity.

Also, do you know for a fact that the front and back pads are actually at 4 mm? Or is that what your dealer is claiming?

Examples like this are the reason my cars never see the dealer except in the case of a warranty repair.

Do you trust the brake wear sensors? If they’re not triggered then why bother?

Hopefully, Porsche didn’t design and install them for nothing. :p

Reactions: wspollack
If you take the time to read the posts in this thread you will very quickly come to the conclusion that your dealer is trying to wildly rip you off. That price is total absurdity.

Also, do you know for a fact that the front and back pads are actually at 4 mm? Or is that what your dealer is claiming?

Examples like this are the reason my cars never see the dealer except in the case of a warranty repair.
i read various threads and posts and it seems like rotors are not (typically) needed. However, how do we know for sure since I can’t measure it myself? Dealer said pads are at 4mm. I called an independent dealer and they said typically pads and rotors are replaced at the same time. I was thinking I can order from FCP Euro and have the independent shop install the parts. Independent shops near me typically cost the same if not more vs dealer. Quoted me roughly the same as dealer.

.....I was thinking I can order from FCP Euro and have the independent shop install the parts.....
At 4mm, you still have some time. The minimum pad thickness is 2.5mm. At the rate you're going, you probably have another 4 - 6k miles to go.

For a first brake job, you'll be perfectly fine changing pads, wear sensors, and caliper mounting bolts only. Leave the rotors for the second brake job. Doing rotors every time is simply up-selling.

B4 you decide to not replace the rotors, consider the cost of new rotors compared with the cost of turning your old rotors. May not be much more.

If you bought your Macan from a dealership in central Florida, they will tell you that you will have to change your brakes once a year because of heavy traffic. So 25k miles is excellent wear! (sarc)

At 4mm, you still have some time. The minimum pad thickness is 2.5mm. At the rate you're going, you probably have another 4 - 6k miles to go.

For a first brake job, you'll be perfectly fine changing pads, wear sensors, and caliper mounting bolts only. Leave the rotors for the second brake job. Doing rotors every time is simply up-selling.
thank you for that. Will leave them as is and talk with indy shop to see if they can install the kit from FCP Euro.

Bay Area, California
Highly recommend both German Auto Sport in Berkeley and Hi Tec Auto in San Rafael. Numerous forum members here use them. 25 to 50% less than the area dealers and more reliable and personalized service. Dealers tend to be owned by impersonal large multi dealer corporations where you are paying for their huge overhead and are no more than a number, and they have lots of personnel turnover who are merely chasing paychecks and don’t care. Unfortunately you still need to suffer through the process of going to a dealer for warranty work.

Thanks for the info. I heard of German Auto Sport in Berkeley and Hi Tec Auto in San Rafael. They are a little far from me. My local Porsche indies all charge about the same as the dealer.

Thanks for the info. I heard of German Auto Sport in Berkeley and Hi Tec Auto in San Rafael. They are a little far from me. My local Porsche indies all charge about the same as the dealer.
this. Definitely appreciate the info and will keep that in mind. I’m in the same area as JZWU and Berkeley and SR are both quite far away. Some indy shops here actually cost more vs dealers. I paid $850 after PCA discount for my 30K service last week whereas the local shop quoted $1K+.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.