Porsche Macan Forum banner

Replacement of brake pads and discs at 25000 miles!

36K views 93 replies 36 participants last post by  muncie 
#1 ·
Does seem right to you? I’m not particularly impressed to having to pay £1400 to replace all brake discs and pads at only 25000 miles

#4 · (Edited)
Base, S, GTS, Turbo? They all have different brakes.

From what I read on this site and others, Macan brake jobs after only 25,000 miles is not uncommon, especially if you drive in a lot of city traffic or have PTV+.

Here in the States, on average brake jobs for the Macan with iron rotors cost between $1,600 to $1,800 since Porsche dealerships swap out the rotors along with the pads.

#5 · (Edited)
The price seems correct for pads + rotors - Porsche have performance brakes that stop much quicker than generic ones on other cars.

Can you take a photo of your pads through the rims? Most of the time you can look at how much width is left without disassembling anything, like on this video from the Porsche Club of North America:

Here's how my pads look:

You can see our pads look like a rectangle + a trapeze on top of it (when looked from the side). Having only the rectangular part left means the pads are dead. Having a good amount of the trapeze section means they're fine. On the top-right, an image extracted from the above video showing a dead and a new pad. I've split the picture and added the dead pad's missing part in the bottom right corner.

#6 ·
Porsche have performance brakes that stop much quicker than generic ones on other cars.

Interesting. /Have you any details of what sets them apart? How much shorter is the stopping distance for a Macan, than other similar vehicles? I'm curious how much better the Macan brakes are and how the pad/rotor replacement cost compares to say the Audi SQ5.

Now you hav e me curious . . . . I spent 17 years test riding performance motorcycles for things that involved federal braking distance numbers . . . Porsche brake replacement numbers seem high . . .but, in all candor, I don't know. I recall spending well over $1,000 on Ford truck brakes. Curious to see what I can learn. Doing brakes on an F-250 Super Duty in a couple weeks.

Attachments

#7 ·
There are several interrelated questions here:

1) how long do brakes last
2) do discs need to be replaced every time pads are
3) was the work really needed at all
4) cost

As for #1, it’s not at all unsual needing to replace brake pads at 25,000 miles if you tend to use your brakes heavily, or if you do a substantial amount of urban stop and go driving. I would say based on the collective experiences of forum members, break life on a Macan is not unusually long or short compared to most other comparable vehicles.

As for #2, many garages and dealers will routinely replace the discs each time the pads are replaced, whether new discs are really needed or not.

As for #3, how certain are you that you really needed new brakes? Plenty of examples here on the forum where dealers have recommended brake pads be replaced when there was as much as 30 or 40% of the thickness remaining.

As for #4 I can’t speak to service prices in Great Britain, but here in the US $1400 would not be an unusual price for new brakes and pads at a dealer. Here in the US, there is little need to pay those kinds of prices as you can save substantially by having your car serviced at an independent garage. Nothing at all particularly unusual about replacing the brakes and pads on a Macan versus other comparable cars, and no special knowledge is needed. And it’s easy to find aftermarket pads and discs that are just as good as OEM, and in some cases superior, although I would never suggest cheaping out on these parts.

#8 ·
Wow that is quick.. My 2018 Macan Turbo PP with 43K miles still have quite a bit left according the service advisor. However I do mostly highway driving and rarely ride on my brakes. I do have PTV+.

John

#9 ·
And you have larger pads than most of us :)

#17 ·
Rear pads wear out quickly because that's how traction control works. People think there is some electronic means of transferring power through the differentials once slip is detected.

Not so much.

So if you drive aggressively, your rear brakes are getting a work out even if you're not pushing the pedal.
If you have PTV+, you get an electronically regulated rear differential lock....

• Variable torque distribution through controlled braking on rear wheels
  • Electronically controlled, fully variable differential lock for increased agility and steering precision as well as traction and vehicle stability

"Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
Sports car makers adore corners. With our technologies, we are forever fanning the flames of the relationship. PTV Plus is an optional system for enhancing both driving dynamics and stability.
Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle’s vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.
At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow."

#12 ·
Needing new pads and rotors at only 25K miles seems pretty short lived to me!

I drive a Turbo and replaced my rear pads at about 34K miles. I have a set of pads for the front and
haven't done them yet. My disks show minimal wear - now at 36K miles.

If it's a Porsche dealer, when they replace pads, they also want to sell you a set of disks - which do not
need to be changed at each pad refresh.

There are other threads (hint: search) that discuss minimum pad thickness.

#43 ·
Just dropped the car off for 30K service (car has 27K miles on it). Front and back are at 4mm. Dealer quoted $2,650 for front and back discs and pads. Seems like a lot and from what I understand I don’t need to replace the rotors, only the pads. Can anyone confirm how much pads replacement should be?

#14 ·
Yes, my 2018 Macan has 27k and getting new brakes also. My 2015 got new brakes at 32k when I had it.

#15 ·
Brakes wear out faster depending on what kind of driving and the driver. My Macan is 100% in town driving, thats why I am replacing my brakes at 27k now.

#16 ·
Agreed. Depending on where you live, there will be different after market options available and they might even last longer than Porsche rotors do! Porsche consider factors like unsightly [?] black dust or the potential for equally unacceptable [?] rust when they design the composition of rotors and pads. I'm not sure that they care in the least if you have to replace pads/rotors at less than 100,000km.

It's relatively easy to check on rotor wear just by running the tip of your finger [or a set of calipers if you have them] over the edge of the rotor. Anything more than 1mm is past the limit.

In Australia I use DBA rotors and pads like:

I can't tell you what their lifespan will be on a Macan but I've found on other cars, as a replacement for OEM, that they can last for double the distance while still giving the same or better braking performance.

#18 · (Edited)
The dealership will always suggest you change the rotors when you change brake pads. It's modus operandi of the stealership. I was told when I bought my CPO that all four brake rotors/pads/wear sensors were changed, and that was a lie. I had to pay $1,400 to change the front rotors, brake pads, wear sensors. Then I wanted to make sure the brake pad wear was equal so I purchased an OEM brake pad set from FCP Euro and had the dealership install it. $250 for the rotors, pads, and sensors. $680 was the dealership cost to install. $930 total. So I saved $500 by purchasing the new hardware myself. The dealership even gave me back my old brake pad sensors and screws, because they were still in good order. Next time, I will go to an indy just to change the brake pads or perhaps I will attempt DIY.

#19 ·
I have heard the claim before that PTV causes the rear brake pads to wear significantly faster.

All I can say is that we own two Macans. One has PTV, and the other does not, and the brake pad wear has been very similar. I suspect PTV does not apply the rear brakes that hard or that often in regular driving. I also suspect if you regularly tracked the car, then you would see a material difference.

#21 ·
I got the warning info at a little past 40,000 miles on our '18 S. I have a picture of that warning in this post: Rotors Replacement

It's my understanding from reading the forum for three+ years -- and also from that warning, which states "Driving permitted" -- that you'd typically have plenty of time, perhaps a few thousand miles, and certainly some hundreds, AFTER the warning shows up, to get the work done. So I certainly wouldn't have it done BEFORE the warning shows up (unless it's for convenience, scheduling, etc., purposes).

In my case, I took care of it a week or two later, because the scheduling was convenient for me, they had a loaner available, and so forth.

#30 ·
On all my vehicles for decades I have replaced the rotors with every SECOND pad replacement, except in the case of a pulsating brake pedal which typically is an indication the rotors have warped from heat, and I have never had an issue. And warped rotors have happened only in more recent times as manufacturers have tended to make the rotors thinner in their desperate attempts to save weight.

#33 ·
Hahahahaha . . . as part of the "replacement joints" contingent . . . I'd think about every 2nd pad change . . . but measuring, coupled with visual inspection, remains the best way to know.

My F-250 Super Duty is due for brakes and I have a crack mechanic who has the rare mechanical ability of being trustworthy. I've already purchase top shelf rotors and pads and they'll do the entire thing on the next service.

My Macan just went for the 20,000 mile service and pads and rotors appeared fine. I suspect they'll be ready at the 30k or 40k.

#36 ·
Hahahahaha . . . as part of the "replacement joints" contingent . . . I'd think about every 2nd pad change . . . but measuring, coupled with visual inspection, remains the best way to know.

My F-250 Super Duty is due for brakes and I have a crack mechanic who has the rare mechanical ability of being trustworthy. I've already purchase top shelf rotors and pads and they'll do the entire thing on the next service.

My Macan just went for the 20,000 mile service and pads and rotors appeared fine. I suspect they'll be ready at the 30k or 40k.
Hi Courtney. My 2019 completed its 20k servicing at the end of October and I also was told the pads are fine. Guess what? At 22,994 miles the break pad warning went off and it looks likely I will need new pads. Hope yours last longer.

#34 ·
I brought our 30K mile Turbo in to Burlingame Porsche last week for an oil change, ($75 for the oil change and $300 for the free car wash), and got the call that the car needed new rear brakes, ("barely 2mm left on the pads, and the rotors etched and scored"), for the bargain price of $1100. The fronts were done 2K miles ago as part of the CPO process.

#35 ·
I agree that break pad replacement with only 20 some K miles is crazy. Was told yesterday that my 2019 with 23000 miles needs some new pads. Appointment is Monday. Love the car. But such frequent pad replacement is silly - Porsche should do better, be able to use pads that are more durable.

#37 ·
Good to hear and I am glad you reminded me. I’m preparing to leave, to head north, next week or two and would like to get them done, prophylactically, prior to leaving. I have a great independent here who will do a great job at a reasonable cost. If I get the car to New York the work will be iffy at best and cost a bundle. Thank you for the reminder. Were you happy with the workmanship you got?

P.S. I’m now at about 35,000 and no warning. I’ll take it in next week for inspection.

#39 ·
Court had better life because, by the sound of his posts, he does lots of freeway driving.
Precisely.

I've started the Macan, driven 1,400 miles . . stopping only for fuel . . and shut it off . . . 8 times now. My "mileage metric" for brake pads would be useless.

I expect to do brakes, regardless of warning/no warning and spark plugs prior to the next journey.

#42 ·
No it doesnt seem right, but then it seems the Macan's brakes tend to wear down at a much greater rate, and inconsistently different than any other Porsche I've owned. At least, if you believe some of the SAs I have spoken with. I needed front and back brakes on mine at around 40k. That was a problem since i was supposed to be a CPO car, and I hadn't even put 4k miles on it. But I also had the SA (where I got it) tell me replacing them once a year wasn't unusual. I called BS on that one. What happened was, this dealership sold me a CPO Macan that, 4 months after purchase, I discovered actually had about 3 mm brake left on the front and not much different on the rear.

When I called them, they tried to tell me that when the car was inspected, it had more than 50% on there (even though they had no proof). That was BS. Then they tried to tell me that somehow in 4 months, I wore down the brake pad 30%. That of course, was BS too considering most of my driving was highway. I explained even my previous cars I would get close to 50k miles, but that fell on deaf ears. But after much haggling, I got them to replace the fronts, but they wouldn't touch the rear.

Then some how, according to their claim I'd be replacing brakes once a year, I broke all brake pad wear records (sarc) and I managed to get another 6 months of driving time on the rears before the light actually went off. I called them back and told them, during my first 3 months of ownership, according to their argument, I managed to wear through better than 3 mm of pad, but the 6 months following that, I managed to wear down less than 2 mm of pad. Not much to say about that one.

Did the light go off yet?

#44 ·
As a benchmark in terms of parts costs, from Suncoast: pads front and back $255, rotors front and back $460. Total ~ $710

#46 ·
Do you trust the brake wear sensors? If they’re not triggered then why bother?

Hopefully, Porsche didn’t design and install them for nothing. :p

Reactions: wspollack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.