Porsche Macan Forum banner

261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
So you have 2 TC going out and a timing cover oil leak all within 31k miles?

My 2015 S has 38k miles and no issues with the TC or oil leak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey all,

If i'm looking at a used/CPO Macan, is there a manufacture date after which the TC issue had been resolved, or at least mitigated somewhat? Seems to have been an issue through 2017 but wondering if a late 2017 build is perhaps less prone to fail.

Thanks,

EW

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Not sure that the TC issues have been completely remedied. I'm seeing older model year Macans with TC issues. My 2016 Turbo got a new transfer case well before its first birthday. No TC problems since then, knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
There is a revised transfer case PN. Not super-easy, but if you (or they) have a chance to look under the car you can confirm which one it has.

The problematic transfer cases end in -X.

The reinforced transfer case ends in either -A or -AX.

·
Registered
130 Posts

This is the original TC on my 2017.
Not sure what the difference is between A and AX

32k miles, starting to feel a little bucking at low speed/rpm changing from 1st to 2nd in comfort mode

Not sure if that’s the beginning of trouble...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
That looks like the original design.

IIRC, there are 2 TC variants, and each has a revised PN. One ends in X and the other doesn’t have an X.

·
Registered
130 Posts
AFAIK, my TC has not been changed. I purchased CPO and service records did not show any TC replacement.

Last night I was driving on a inclined highway at 55, in sport mode 6 gear, when I accelerated moderately, PDK downshifted into 5 and bucked big time before resuming acceleration to 80.

Is this a symptom of TC issues?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have it on good authority that the "old" transfer case hardware part number is "95B.341.010" and the "new" is "95B.341.010.A"

Not sure what the "X" designation is on yours. Apparently, "Gas nitrocarburizing (GNC)" is now used to coat the clutch plates on the new transfer case. The new transfer case requires that new software be installed in the transfer case control module specifically for the new model. The "Gas nitrocarburizing (GNC)" supposedly strengthens or reinforces the clutch plates.

You might be right. 21K miles on my 2017 GTS now and the rear end is starting to shutter in reverse especially if turning the front wheels left or right. Same symptoms first time around that got worse with time. If it ends up back at the shop I want to be sure that it has the new transfer case part number. Factory warranty expires in April but purchased a Porsche extended warranty for an additional 2 years or 60K miles. Again, no other issues with the vehicle and absolutely a joy to drive, even if I have to leave it at the dealer for another few days. Maybe the new part will do the trick.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is a revised transfer case PN. Not super-easy, but if you (or they) have a chance to look under the car you can confirm which one it has.

The problematic transfer cases end in -X.

The reinforced transfer case ends in either -A or -AX.

Yup my replacement was part # 95B-341-010-X . The one it replaced has the same part number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another data point to add. Our 2016 Macan S that we have had since new had the transfer case go at 42000 miles. Luckily it was a few months before the warranty expired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My data point, on my 2017 Macan GTS started noticing a subtle change in the smooth acceleration. Took it in for a tire swap and asked my Service Rep to take a look. They replaced my transfer case at 35,000 Kms under warranty. Based on this I will be extending my warranty for sure when it expires this spring.

·
Registered
362 Posts
March 2018 is the GNC Transfer box date change.
We know this for sure now, per Porsche.

So glad my new TX case has that letter “A” at the end ;)

2016 Macan T

The service date when the transfer case was 1st replaced was 03/01/18. Must of got one of the left over original designs instead of the revised one. Right now the problem really shows up at slow speeds when turning the wheel left or right especially if I am backing up. The car starts to "shutter" but accelerating in forward gear is still fine. My factory warranty is up in April so I plan on bringing it to the dealer soon for inspection. If it is the TC again I will make sure it has the newer part number.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After multiple trips to 2 different dealers in MA and NH, I brought my 17 GTS to another dealer in MA yesterday and just got the call the feel the bucking I was describing. Mine does a random buck while steady on gas at different speeds on flat clear ground, and also when starting out sometimes it will wind up a bit buck bang and go.
Little scared, they have to talk with the dealer I bought it from in FL though because there is a “major issue” with the certification that I don’t need to worry about but the dealer there didn’t do the right things I guess? Said I would get more info tomorrow. The tech has a few other issues he is going to address, including suspension, transmission and engine items?!
cant wait for more info tomorrow. The dealer is about 1.5 hours away and they gave me a ‘19 cayenne. It has the single turbo 3.0, but it is so smooth accelerating compared to my macan.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m in MA also and starting to feel bucking on my 17 TT.
Which dealer is your Macan at?
Which ones should I stay away from?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went to Nashua first last February, they just totally brushed me off, I had them do an oil change and code my trailer hitch, but wouldn’t spend any time on the buck issue.
I went to Porsche Norwell twice, great people there, first time they enabled carplay for me and second time did an Oil change, so it wasn’t just a complaint about the buck they were also getting paid to do something. But Norwell said it’s the summer tires, it’s the ground isn’t flat or the tires are skipping, everything but the issue.
brought it to Porsche of Burlington Tuesday just for this issue and they saw it right away. Haven’t got an update yet, but I think they will take care of it finally!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I went to Nashua first last February, they just totally brushed me off, I had them do an oil change and code my trailer hitch, but wouldn’t spend any time on the buck issue.
I went to Porsche Norwell twice, great people there, first time they enabled carplay for me and second time did an Oil change, so it wasn’t just a complaint about the buck they were also getting paid to do something. But Norwell said it’s the summer tires, it’s the ground isn’t flat or the tires are skipping, everything but the issue.
brought it to Porsche of Burlington Tuesday just for this issue and they saw it right away. Haven’t got an update yet, but I think they will take care of it finally!
You had to go to three separate dealers to get this addressed? So much for owning a 'luxury' car. This is Porsche failure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You had to go to three separate dealers to get this addressed? So much for owning a 'luxury' car. This is Porsche failure.
Unfortunately, yes three dealers. After the second time to Porsche Norwell I called Porsche customer care line or whatever it is, and the guy knew exactly the problem I spoke about and said to try a larger volume dealer.

261 - 280 of 302 Posts