Porsche Macan Forum banner

241 - 260 of 302 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
One suggestion here for all people having transfer case issues - why not submit a complaint at NHTSA (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?)
How did you explain it was SAFETY related. What accident happened? Discussion: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/oil-leak-anyone.146697/page-15#post-2563593 and farther. While there are more reported xfer case issues here than oil leaks, I don't see how this is a safety problem.

Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know

"The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle ” A defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment ” Generally, a safety defect is defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that:
  • poses a risk to motor vehicle safety, and
  • may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture"
Have there been any accidents because of the xfer cases?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. This is good to know.

I am thinking this might EVENTUALLY become a safety issue if not taken care of? Not sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Didn't they already issue a recall for the Cayenne transfer case problems? I'm guessing it's similar.
That link is to a 2014 Cayenne. There are no recalls for transfer case. The two recalls are for a brake problem and gas gauge problem. Maybe you're confusing "complaints", of which there are 25, with recalls of which there are 2.

However, a bit deeper search comes up with 2004 91 complaints, 8 recalls, one which was https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCDNN-04V071-1271.pdf

This is a voluntary recall where PCNA, on behalf of PAG, recalls 4100 Cayennes, with specific VINs, effecting about 16% of all Cayennes that year, where the cases could fracture resulting in oil being dumped on the road and I guess cause an accident. The final report shows 3672 Cayennes fixed.

This is a big difference between a voluntary recall and the NHTSA mandated recall although both are in compliance with US law in that Porsche recognized a manufacturing fault, and it was customers complaining about getting something fixed out of warranty. The letter https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCONL-04V071-9584.pdf and TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCRIT-04V071-5601.pdf. They acknowledge a "deformed casting" in specific cases. Campaign W411 looking for specific casting numbers.

I would imagine that if the physical box actually cracked, that could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That link is to a 2014 Cayenne. There are no recalls for transfer case. The two recalls are for a brake problem and gas gauge problem. Maybe you're confusing "complaints", of which there are 25, with recalls of which there are 2.

However, a bit deeper search comes up with 2004 91 complaints, 8 recalls, one which was https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCDNN-04V071-1271.pdf

This is a voluntary recall where PCNA, on behalf of PAG, recalls 4100 Cayennes, with specific VINs, effecting about 16% of all Cayennes that year, where the cases could fracture resulting in oil being dumped on the road and I guess cause an accident. The final report shows 3672 Cayennes fixed.

This is a big difference between a voluntary recall and the NHTSA mandated recall although both are in compliance with US law in that Porsche recognized a manufacturing fault, and it was customers complaining about getting something fixed out of warranty. The letter https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCONL-04V071-9584.pdf and TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCRIT-04V071-5601.pdf. They acknowledge a "deformed casting" in specific cases. Campaign W411 looking for specific casting numbers.

I would imagine that if the physical box actually cracked, that could be a safety issue.
Oops! You're absolutely correct. Bad memory combined with reading too fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2015 Macan Turbo, 51,000 miles- though I suspect the problem was there when I bought it at 41,000 miles. I took it in for a “gearbox fault poss no R gear” and they replaced the valve control unit for the fault and oh, by the way, your transfer case is bad. Carmax Maxcare paid for it all, though the adjuster process took a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another question, normally Porsche parts installed by the dealer are warrantied by Porsche for 2 yrs. (IIRC), if the dealer replaces the transfer case (under warranty) just before the factory warranty runs out is the replacement transfer case still covered by the 2 yr part warranty or does it expire at the time the vehicle warranty expires?

My bet is there's no warranty on the case beyond the base vehicle warranty (you didn't "buy" the replacement part so no warranty).
No warranty past vehicle warranty. Doesn't matte if it is one day before. No parts warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dropped off my 2016 Macan S with 55,700 miles today and Dealer confirmed both Transfer Case needs to be replaced and a valve cover case needs to be replaced as its leaking oil. Luckily my indy shop caught the leaking oil below the turbo while doing an oil change. All covered under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, new to the community. I was doing research and came across this website. I just learned last week that my 2015 Macan S with 29k mi needs a new Transfer Case and from what I've read on this site only, there have been many owners with the same problem. The dealership quoted $2900 to replace. The car is 8 months out of warranty. It seems like Porsche must know about this, but since I am out of warranty am I out of luck? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
The service guy at my dealership just informed me that the 2019+ Macans have a new transfer case design that should not fail as earlier versions did. I had asked him about changing the TC fluid often in my 2019 Macan, and he said there's no need to for that reason. This is the first I've heard that the TC is new in the "new-gen" Macans, and very welcome news.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The service guy at my dealership just informed me that the 2019+ Macans have a new transfer case design that should not fail as earlier versions did. I had asked him about changing the TC fluid often in my 2019 Macan, and he said there's no need to for that reason. This is the first I've heard that the TC is new in the "new-gen" Macans, and very welcome news.
But is it compatible with previous years?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Hello, new to the community. I was doing research and came across this website. I just learned last week that my 2015 Macan S with 29k mi needs a new Transfer Case and from what I've read on this site only, there have been many owners with the same problem. The dealership quoted $2900 to replace. The car is 8 months out of warranty. It seems like Porsche must know about this, but since I am out of warranty am I out of luck? Please advise. Thanks
Contact Porsche and they should fix it on goodwill.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts

Try a Search - the transfer case breather design was modified so that the likelihood of water contaminating should be
greatly reduced,

There's already been a lot of online discussion about updated transfer cases.

🤗

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, new to forum. New to Porsche. Have owned Macan S '15 since 2/18. Mechanic diagnosed Transfer Case failure at 29k mi. Car is 8 months out of warranty. $2900 to repair. I'm fuming. Obviously, Porsche knows about this.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
Talk to your Porsche dealer and see if they'll do a goodwill transfer case replacement.

It's a well known issue with the Macan models.

How did you acquire the car? From a Porsche dealer or third party? Private sale? If the Macan was dealer serviced, there
may be a paper trail with a report of transfer case misbehavior.

If your Porsche dealer won't provide satisfaction, escalate your concern to PCNA (Porsche Corporation of North America).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anybody else have their transfer case replaced twice? My '15 had it's first replacement at 17k in summer of '17 and it's second at 31k this month. To make things even more interesting, the tech discovered the timing cover oil leak also. I almost never purchase extended warranties, but sure glad I did this time. Purchase in the first year of production was what convinced me to add the two extra years.

241 - 260 of 302 Posts